Sport Chalet Instruction...new rules

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman:
but it just kept saying, "setup".

User errors. Guy didn't even realize he went into the settings mode. Don't blame the sexy transmitter.

People make mistakes ... to really scew it up you need a computer.<G>

CompuDude:
Lucky you! (I mean that)

I look forward to talking to you next year... once my wife gets certified, after time passes to make sure she's serious I want to haul her up to one of your fabled AOW classes. Nuthin' but the best for my baby!
Looking forward to it ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Rick Inman:
I buddied up with a nice fellow last night, but, alas, we had to call the dive. The transmitter on his high-tech fancy, expensive, do everything, wireless, magical mystical computer didn't seem to like the 25 degree air temp and wouldn't get going. We stood in three feet of cold water for about fifteen mins while he pushed buttons and stared at it and moved it up next to the sending unit and stared at it some more and pushed some more buttons. He kept putting his arm back behind him next to the sender and - because he couldn't see it - asked me to look at it and see if it was coming on, but it just kept saying, "setup".

Our other two friends said they had a nice dive.

Oh well...
Bummer.. Did he throw away his console when he got the computer? I can't imagine that if I were diving local (or travel) I wouldn't bring a spare console (pressure & depth) just in case. They're pretty easy to pick up cheap. Do others do this? Isn't it part of the 'save-a-dive' kit. :)

What use is there at all for an air integrated computer?

MikeFerrara:
It tells you how many more minutes you get to stay down before you run out of air ... :eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

MikeFerrara:
Makes for really nice logs with zero effort, and with the wireless ones, puts the remaining PSI on your wrist so you don't have to look down to the SPG you have clipped off to your left hip's D ring...

NWGratefulDiver:
It tells you how many more minutes you get to stay down before you run out of air ... :eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Well that was my point. It's been a while but the last time I looked at them, that is what they calculated and it's pretty mcuh a useless number.

Why would it be useless? It calculates your current SAC at that depth and then it will display the remaining bottom time by what limits you: gas supply or ndl. That it sounds an alarm at a preset limit makes it a valuable fail safe as well.

NetDoc:
Why would it be useless? It calculates your current SAC at that depth and then it will display the remaining bottom time by what limits you: gas supply or ndl. That it sounds an alarm at a preset limit makes it a valuable fail safe as well.

How long your gas will last at the current depth isn't the question. The question is when should you begin your ascent such that you don't run out even if you and your buddy are both on your tank. The volume reserved for that ascent should also take an elevated sac into account.

Turn pressure is another matter but an important on some dives and one that the computer is also no help with.

Back
Top Bottom