Split Fin Bashing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have seen how an owner of white rubber paddle fins has repeatedly been said to wear "gay white fins". It's not enough to wear Jetfin copies but they must be black.

... nonsense ... this is serious cave diving gear ...

IMG_9059.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Ooohh. You mean like these? haha. someone had to say it……

IMG_0794_zps6b621b36.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Sorry to be a stickler Hank, but those are narrow deep blades :eyebrow:
Think strapping two moray eels to your feet.

Sorry to be a stickler Hank, but those are narrow deep blades :eyebrow:
Think strapping two moray eels to your feet.

Not really a stickler. Freediving fins are as far from long, shallow blades as possible. Freediving fins are as narrow and deep as practicable.

Also, I'm truly surprised it took this long to get to freediving fins. Maybe my preemptive strike headed off those comments?

Last edited:
Started with splits flutter kick the long stroke!
Started diving doubles and dry suit cold not move easily in the water.
Switched to blades learned to frog kick.
I discovered that I could by mastering technique swim faster, easier, and in more adverse conditions in blades.

I have several times put a pair on for trial but can not get enough thrust with minimum effort.
I have seen others in singles do well but not without wide sweeping kicks.
In the diving that I do now I use a modified frog kick that propels with minimum effort thus preserving gas.

JCG

Not really a stickler. That's as far from long, shallow blades as possible.

Having moray eels strapped to your feet would be akin to fat spaghetti noodles.

I like red fins because I can write my name on them in black sharpie. Yellow works too.

My wetsuits are different colors so I can grab the right one at 3am.

As as far as split vs. paddle fins...wear what you like. I like paddle fins and have strong legs so I rarely cramp. If splits work for you, swim on!! I tried a few pairs and didn't like them. To each their own.

I really don't care what others think about my diving split fins. Frankly, it's none of their business. I don't tell them how to dive or what equipment to use (unless they are violating one of our dive park rules). I use my split fins (Apollo Bio-Fins) almost exclusively when diving locally, but travel with my US Divers Blades since they are much lighter.

I'm a bit knock-kneed so I don't use the frog kick (back in the days when I was a competitive swimmer, I was always disqualified when I tried breast stroke).

Actually some of the fastest pelagics….most of them….DO have split caudal fins. Look at Tuna, mackerel, mahi, marlin….all split…WIDE. But the difference between them and the reef fish with a "paddle" type caudal fin is stiffness. The caudal fins of snapper, grouper etc are soft. The one exception is barracuda. They have a more paddle type fin that is fairly soft but they can hit top speeds of 50 mph for short bursts.

I do not know a single fish off the top of my head that has a "split" fin. All the fish you mention have a fin akin to a force fin, NOT a split fin...

I honestly do not see the debate, barring knee injuries or physical restriction, paddle fins are cheaper, offers much more dexterity underwater (backwards, more efficient circling, more control, and more efficient energy use), and more durable.

I do not know a single fish off the top of my head that has a "split" fin. All the fish you mention have a fin akin to a force fin, NOT a split fin...

I honestly do not see the debate, barring knee injuries or physical restriction, paddle fins are cheaper, offers much more dexterity underwater (backwards, more efficient circling, more control, and more efficient energy use), and more durable.

Okaaaaayyy….how about this one? I'm sure THIS one must be able to streak through the water. :D
double-tail-betta_zpsc86e9c6f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom