Trouble descending in horizontal trim with new fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm with NW DD, if it's essential I descend vertically then I go a little knees down.​
If I can (or want) to cover horizontal distance on the descent then I go head down and use the descent to power me forward like a glider. That actually works both directions and is one of my favorite parts of recreational tropical beach dives, gliding along the contour.​

At the first sign of resistance I rebel

68 005a (3).JPG

+1.

This sounds like a perfect problem. You're very lucky. That's exactly how I want my trim to react.

What if you barely go down? Very slow. Same issue?

If I'm bombing down with a negative entry, it's feet first until I'm deep enough to need to trim out, or 2/3 the way down.

Why descend when horizontal? I have never done this in 4879 dives. Just stick your head down and kick.
yes, but some of the training agencies seem to view diving as a "dance" and want people in a horizontal position all the time, playing it up as some kind of essential goal, skill or objective.

It makes descents very slow and is silly and impractical for a lot of diving situations, like efficiently going down an anchor or mooring line or an expeditious descent on a drift dive. It's great if diving with a weak buddy who can not descend quick or clear their ears fast or who is apprehensive of descending, so it can be a useful skill, to just flare out and slow the descent.

For the OP, it took me a while to try to think of a solution to something that I never viewed as a problem, I often dive with freedive fins that present a much bigger surface (and effect presumably) than a normal dive fin.

I think the advice others have provided of just tucking your heel into your butt, will comfortably place the blades in a vertical position and should reduce the effect, but you might have to retract and extend your legs periodically to maintain control of horizontal position.

That could however, cost your routine a few "style-points", I'm not really sure.

Agreed. At this point the "tech all the time" guys are a bit of a pita.

I'm sure they'll chime in, and start frothing their favorite religion.

Being in flat trim is not optimal, when my task is leaving or returning to the boat.

yes, but some of the training agencies seem to view diving as a "dance" and want people in a horizontal position all the time, playing it up as some kind of essential goal, skill or objective.

It makes descents very slow and is silly and impractical for a lot of diving situations, like efficiently going down an anchor or mooring line or an expeditious descent on a drift dive.
I don't know which agencies you're referring to, but I'm a GUE diver and I've never heard that I always need to be in horizontal trim. On the contrary, I've been taught to adjust my trim to the surroundings. Flat trim is, however, my preferred way of descending, ascending and swimming around for the simple reason that it's a flexible and stable platform, and it makes a lot of things easier - including giving a smaller surface area to the current.

In warm, gin clear water with a single tank and a wetsuit, do whatever is more fun. For my local cold water dives with 1-3 foot visibility in the shallows, drysuit and heavy undergarments, double tanks – I like to be able to be in a stable position, face to face with my buddy or team, so we can keep together during the descent whether there is a line or we're dropping blind. With doubles I'm plenty heavy enough to drop quickly if I want to at the start of the dive. Being head down and swimming is wasting energy, sends all the air in my drysuit to the feet, and makes it harder to both keep track of buddies and scout the bottom contours when they come into view. Ascending horizontally is a no-brainer as it is more stable and easier to control the ascent rate, while again keeping close visual contact with your team in low viz.

I swim down, then I swim around and when it is all over I swim back up. Horizontal trim is a good thing but unless you are just descending via negative buoyancy drifting downward then you will need to swim down if neutral.

Nothing knocks me out of my zen moment, perfect trim, horizontal, everything going well and then along come a group of divers hanging vertical and dragging their fin tips across the reef tops.

I doubt the blade area of the Eddy Flippers is any more than the Atomic fins but, maybe the split does help vent some resistance.

Are you bending your legs/knees to get your flippers up and behind your derriere, point your toes up a little bit? Kind of like this:

I don't know which agencies you're referring to, but I'm a GUE diver and I've never heard that I always need to be in horizontal trim. On the contrary, I've been taught to adjust my trim to the surroundings. Flat trim is, however, my preferred way of descending, ascending and swimming around for the simple reason that it's a flexible and stable platform, and it makes a lot of things easier - including giving a smaller surface area to the current.

In warm, gin clear water with a single tank and a wetsuit, do whatever is more fun. For my local cold water dives with 1-3 foot visibility in the shallows, drysuit and heavy undergarments, double tanks – I like to be able to be in a stable position, face to face with my buddy or team, so we can keep together during the descent whether there is a line or we're dropping blind. With doubles I'm plenty heavy enough to drop quickly if I want to at the start of the dive. Being head down and swimming is wasting energy, sends all the air in my drysuit to the feet, and makes it harder to both keep track of buddies and scout the bottom contours when they come into view. Ascending horizontally is a no-brainer as it is more stable and easier to control the ascent rate, while again keeping close visual contact with your team in low viz.

So you were taught to adjust trim to surroundings, but that also means do whatever the heck is "fun" if diving in warm water? The trim stuff is only for bad vis, dry suits and heavy double tanks? Only half kidding.

Rather than "fun", I just do whatever works, but I have to admit I am more or less in a vertical position when ascending and descending. I have very little experience in super low vis, double tanks and all that.

But I am pretty sure I might be tucking my knees during portions of my descent, especially at the start when I go from head up to head down.

Back
Top Bottom