Split Fin Bashing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought the things when they first came out, because all the magazines were publishing articles about how you can longer bottom times (ie use less air) due to the efficiency of the split fin. What a load of crap that was. I sold my Scubapro Jet fins to offset the cost of the split fins and regretted it quickly.

The real negative on the split fins is they are too floppy. You have to work harder than you would with a pair of stiff fins. As far as air efficiency, the only way you're going to save air with split fins is if you hold your breath.

Perhaps someday they will emulate those fish by creating a lightweight fin with a series of spines linking a thin membrane. While it would have some advantages, I imagine that costs and materials might be a reason why they haven't done it yet. Unlike fish, humans need to purchase their fins ... and a great many decisions around equipment design have less to do with efficiency than they do manufacturing costs and profit margins ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

p3694_big.jpg

Bob
-----------------------
There is no problem that can't be solved with a liberal application of sex, tequila, money, duct tape, or high explosives, not necessarily in that order.

In several posts recently I have seen several disparaging remarks about split fins. I did a quick search but there are no posts that give any reasoned response as to why. So here the question. Why do you consider split fins to be so useless?

Cause they're stupid. :D How's that for a well reasoned, analytical response?

Now to read the thread...10 pages on split fins. This should be fun.

use a mono-fin and a WS that holds/confines your legs together (think mermaid)..... now we are getting somewhere.....

except our muscles still aren't developed to support that configuration...

back to the drawing board....

the snorkel and the octo/inflator will somehow survive too.....

The most beat to death topics:
Split fins
Poodle jackets
Air2's
Spare air's (that one may have gotten beaten to death already and buried underground, I haven't seen a spare air bashing thread lately? Can you even still buy those?)

It just never gets old.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom