Split Fin Bashing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A least in a recreational diving environment, split fins are more than a match for paddle fins, IMHO. Realistically, it's only in the DIR/tech/wreck/cave environment that 'paddles' are more appropriate.......and those '1 % 'ers' are pretty much all on 'thedecostop' and other tech forums and wouldn't be caught dead here on SB anyway.

What?

I'm not against split fins if that's what you want; but don't delude yourself that the environment makes two different objects equal. Personally, I like the fact that I can enjoy a more relaxed dive and generate forward momentum by slowly kicking Jets rather than kicking the hell out of splits. If I could find a pair of reasonably priced open foot free diving fins I'd use those and generate even more thrust.

It's kinda like riding a bike with variable gears. Pedaling is real easy in low gear but most people see the advantage of being able to go further, faster with less effort.

Oh, I don't know; depends on how one engages in the debate I suppose.

Your fins are an important piece of gear as they are your propulsion generators. New fins cost waaayyyy to much so knowing a bit about what makes them tick can't be a bad thing. I certainly wouldn't trust the salesman to give me aan unbiased answer any more than you would get one here on SB (only these opinions are free).
Splits represent one choice. They come with some benefits and some drawbacks. You choose what you choose based on what you need and what you can handle. I personally don't like splits because I cannot generate the same kind of thrust that I can with blades (or I have to kick like hell) and they force me to kick the wrong way when I do want to generate thrust.

Fin company executive, "We need to increase sales." Fin company advertising rep, "Lets split them into two small blades and and say they are better than one big blade." Executive, "Great idea".

If split fins have a superior mechanical advantage, I wonder why more fish don't have split fins. It seems to me that it would have been a pretty good evolutionary advantage to be faster and use less energy than predators or prey.

Actually some of the fastest pelagics….most of them….DO have split caudal fins. Look at Tuna, mackerel, mahi, marlin….all split…WIDE. But the difference between them and the reef fish with a "paddle" type caudal fin is stiffness. The caudal fins of snapper, grouper etc are soft. The one exception is barracuda. They have a more paddle type fin that is fairly soft but they can hit top speeds of 50 mph for short bursts.

They aren't split fins, they're long shallow blades, like the wings of a glider. Glider wings generate a lot of lift compared to the energy input, which pelagics need (also long distance soaring birds like the Albatross). Fish doing short bursts can get away with smaller fins/high reps, but at the cost of increased energy input.

Humans can use wide blades (monofins) and generate fast forward movement but need to swim like pelagics, using their whole body.

[video=youtube;z09RmuaPyVU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z09RmuaPyVU[/video]

Few fish have true split fins but a Bangaii Cardinal might fit the bill. Interesting to note how much swimming this fish actually does.

http://www.oceanreefs.com.au/avactis-images/bangaiicardinal.jpg

bangaiicardinal.jpg

They aren't split fins, they're long shallow blades,

Ooohh. You mean like these? haha. someone had to say it……

IMG_0794_zps6b621b36.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Reactions: Doc
I have seen how an owner of white rubber paddle fins has repeatedly been said to wear "gay white fins". It's not enough to wear Jetfin copies but they must be black.

I believe that black is the worst colour possible for dive gear. And red is a close second.

If you are different, then someone will comment on that. I assume the same is true for split fins. Lots of judging, few motivations.

I have seen how an owner of white rubber paddle fins has repeatedly been said to wear "gay white fins". It's not enough to wear Jetfin copies but they must be black.

I believe that black is the worst colour possible for dive gear. And red is a close second.

The first and most important question when selecting any article of dive gear is "Well, it looks like it'd work great, but...do you have it in a color darker than black?"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom