Split Fin Bashing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been in splits since the beginning. Probably was "sold" them, but they have served me well. I just bought a pair of paddles, because I have wanted be more effective with the frog kicks.

I exercise, have strong legs (for my age), but since using the splits my serious cramping has dropped by 80%. Potassium pills help, but I started them somwhat before using splits. Most times I'm in no rush anyway. As I said, paddle fins to DM the class so the whole crowd doesn't get there before me bringing up the rear.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned how handy split fins are for removing lion fish from your spear. . .

I'm surprised no one has mentioned how handy split fins are for removing lion fish from your spear. . .

I can do that as long as I have two feet plus any pair of fins. :wink:

In b4 Freediving fins come up :D

And, the main reason the split-fin bashing started (as far as I'm aware) was a group of zealous gear-standardizers realized how useless they were in Tech situations. They're typically not powerful enough to move a big, heavily-ladened tech diver (multiple tanks, drysuit, lights, etc). They also don't give you the kick options when silt is a major concern (cave and wreck). Since they didn't work for all situations, some of these guys started bashing pretty hard.

Split fin proponents are not often experienced divers (experience isn't a lot of dives), not helping the cause of the split fins. BUT, they find it easier to kick with splits. Others claim they get no thrust from their kicks with splits. They're both by design. Splits are closer to first gear on a bicycle. A lot of really easy fin strokes will get you where you need to be. Paddle fins are a few hard fin kicks to get the same result. Either way, you go from one place to the next under MOST conditions.....with Paddle fins being more flexible in terms of conditions.

Another big difference is durability. Most paddle fins are made out of one material. They're one giant heap of rubber. Split fins are typically rubber bonded to plastic, and are often regarded as less durable. I agree that they're less durable, it's hard to disagree with that if you've ever seen an example of each. But there are so many fins in rental fleets that have bajillions of dives on them that I can't imagine they're so crappy you'd need to watch out for them. My wife's fins are an old set of paddle fins.....I think the origin on them is the late 60s to mid 70s. They're in great shape. A buddy has splits that are 15 years old, and they're in great shape. I don't need fins to last 50 years....but it's another portion of the bashing you'll see if you look.

I don't dislike split fins, I dislike fin manufacturers that charge through the nose for gimmicks that they can't prove. That's my biggest issue with them. They have all of these fancy fluid dynamics terms and drawings that make ZERO sense. For the record, I'm a Fluid Dynamicist. I can't recall a single ad for a fin that had USEFUL/ACCURATE fluid dynamics represented on them......just stuff to sucker in divers that don't know better. This isn't just splits, this is a BUNCH of fins (Seawing Nova, AquaLung "Slingshot" or whatever). It's not to say they're bad fins, just that the fluidic principals they're advertising are absolute garbage and they're literally selling snake oil.

The Apollo Bio fins (split fins) ARE 100% natural rubber....just for the record. :)

Well aware. Twin jets are also outside of the "typical" rubber-to-plastic bonding. Hence the word "typically."

We weren't sold them, but after trying out the others we exchanged for them. Tried them out too, no cramping, and we are not in a hurry and so the splits work well for us and are comfortable. So if anyone laughs, that's cool. I know what I like, and it isn't leg cramps OR racing. :D

(and mine are pink :shocked2: )

Trust me . . .I'm not laughing.

A least in a recreational diving environment, split fins are more than a match for paddle fins, IMHO. Realistically, it's only in the DIR/tech/wreck/cave environment that 'paddles' are more appropriate.......and those '1 % 'ers' are pretty much all on 'thedecostop' and other tech forums and wouldn't be caught dead here on SB anyway.

here is why split fins suck:
1) they are only good for going forward.....and that's only if you enjoy doing a fast flutter kick.
2) they suck at stopping fast and changing direction.
3) they also suck at frog kick....and frog kick is what any sensible experienced diver will use 90% of the time.

this is not opinion it is fact!:wink:
dont buy into the split fin b.s. and go get a pair of real quality fins like mares quattro or mares superchannel. they are rated among the best. it's also the only time i would recommend mares for anything at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom