Spiegel Grove??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Green Hand:
I posed a question on the Basic Scubs Diving thread yesterday asking 'Why Scuba and not Tennis' and this is exactly the sort of thinking and discussion I was hoping to encourage.

Since visiting Scuba Board [only the last couple of weeks] and reading threads such as this one discussing Casemanagers panic attack I have started to think far more deeply about diving, why I do it and why others do it.

Asside from entering another world there is a lot that comes with it, technical proficiency, self confidence, self belief, team work, spousal support, expense, planning etc.etc. So it begs the question why did we choose it and why do we continue to do it.

Why do people push the limits with technical and cave diving - is that a personality trait [in their opinion] or does that come with experience, confidence and training? Personally the thought of diving deep in a cave that has one way in and one way out and could silt up in second terrifies me. But then I am a very inexperienced diver.

I'll keep pondering my thoughts.

Hey! nice to see you again lol. I just got done posting on your question on scuba vs tennis.

ScubaTwo:
Don, I cant dive as much as I would like to due to money. I absolutely love diving tho. There are many reasons he may not have as much dive experience as another person in the same time period.
Sorry if my remark seemed rude. There's nothing wrong with being a vacation diver, for one - but my comments were directed at a member who averages 4 dives a year, had bad experiences on a dive shallower than my third resort dive, and has been arguing here since the thread was born.

You don't detail your dive experiences or location on your dive info or profile, so I couldn't speak to your possibilities. There's certainly nothing wrong with quarry practicing (taking my GF again next month, I hope) or vacation diving.

DandyDon:
Sorry if my remark seemed rude. There's nothing wrong with being a vacation diver, for one - but my comments were directed at a member who averages 4 dives a year, had bad experiences on a dive shallower than my third resort dive, and has been arguing here since the thread was born.

You don't detail your dive experiences or location on your dive info or profile, so I couldn't speak to your possibilities. There's certainly nothing wrong with quarry practicing (taking my GF again next month, I hope) or vacation diving.

Quarry "practicing"? I give up lol.

DandyDon:

I updated my dive profile just for you Don :05:

Green Hand:
Why do people push the limits with technical and cave diving - is that a personality trait [in their opinion] or does that come with experience, confidence and training? Personally the thought of diving deep in a cave that has one way in and one way out and could silt up in second terrifies me. But then I am a very inexperienced diver.

I chanced upon this trip report from scubabaord. It just one of many stories I've heard about greats sights that are beyond recreational limits, and if you want access to them, then you need to learn deco procedures, trimix diving, and other techincal stuff. I suggest you read it and you might get a better idea of why some people decide to go techincal.

ScubaTwo:
I updated my dive profile just for you Don :05:
Nice - and that's why SB offers these possibilities, for better understandings. You seem to be a pretty accomplished for a diver of 2 years, with over 50 dives and a Rescue Cert. :thumb:

Our views on quarry dives may well differ here, or so I would guess from your previous reaction. I try to keep mine fun, and I know that it's challenging living so far from good ocean diving as you and I both do, but to me - quarry diving is only practicing for the real show. It may well mean something more to you, but it's just not enough for me - and I wouldn't own my gear if that's all I could do. Many would, but not me.

I am sorry if our differing views may piss you off, but - a lot of us have different views. :14:

DandyDon:
Nice - and that's why SB offers these possibilities, for better understandings. You seem to be a pretty accomplished for a diver of 2 years, with over 50 dives and a Rescue Cert. :thumb:

Our views on quarry dives may well differ here, or so I would guess from your previous reaction. I try to keep mine fun, and I know that it's challenging living so far from good ocean diving as you and I both do, but to me - quarry diving is only practicing for the real show. It may well mean something more to you, but it's just not enough for me - and I wouldn't own my gear if that's all I could do. Many would, but not me.

I am sorry if our differing views may piss you off, but - a lot of us have different views. :14:

No problem sir :) dosnt piss me off in the least. I do wish more ppl would realize how challenging quarry and lake diving can be tho. As well as how much fun. Its basically all I can do most of the time and my gear loves it. :) I would dive in a mud puddle if thats all I had. Its not were you dive its how much you enjoy were you dive.

Green Hand:
I posed a question on the Basic Scubs Diving thread yesterday asking 'Why Scuba and not Tennis' and this is exactly the sort of thinking and discussion I was hoping to encourage.

Hmm. I just saw that post. I have some thoughts on that and may post over there.

Green Hand:
Asside from entering another world there is a lot that comes with it, technical proficiency, self confidence, self belief, team work, spousal support, expense, planning etc.etc. So it begs the question why did we choose it and why do we continue to do it.

And there's the whole adverture of it, traveling to new places - the more exotic the better - pushing your limits a bit more each time. I know I like a little adrenaline with my diving and that often worries me. Not too much, but enough to keep things interesting.

Green Hand:

I'll keep pondering my thoughts.

There's the challenge and mastery of new environments that excites a lot of us. Each new experience makes me itchy for another. Caves were unthinkable a year ago, but recently I did a dive where I was in a "swimthrough" practically crawling through a pitch black hole in a reef, no doubt narced, and popped out the other end on a wall and it was almost a religious experience.

I know I need more training or I'll end up with a story here -- or worse.

After reading 28 pages of this fascinating topic, I wish to comment.

Case - I'm glad you are physically ok. I'm sorry that you are pychologically still affected (referring to the FEAR comment). Please try to see the comments here on the board as encouraging and don't give up on the board. I love diving and wish everyone loved it as much as I do. So I hope you can enjoy it again sometime. You paniced. It does happen to even experienced divers. However, the more a person dives, the less suseptible they are to panic. At least that is the theory.

I personally think that as CERTIFIED divers, we have responsibility for ourselves, even if we are taking a class. I discuss this with my dive buddies and have discussed this with my non-diving family in case something should happen to me while diving. Again, just my opinion, but one I believe strongly.

You do not have to share your medical history with us, as it is private. In reading this thread I don't see anyone maintaning they are wanna-be docs. I know that even over the counter medication does have side affects, and so do you. Please at least entertain the possibility that they contributed to your panic in this situation. Just because many divers (I personally doubt the 75% figure) take meds and/or smoke and/or drink, doesn't mean they affect everyone the same.

Other contibuting factors could be current, visability, equipment, etc. I HATE currents unless the dive is attended by a live boat. Too much work and I don't enjoy the dive. I've had to "fight" a few and it was all I could do to stay focused. (I guess there was none that day you spoke about, but I'm just saying . . . . ).

Anyway, I'm not sure exactly what you were wanting to read in response to your first post, but you did indeed get many thoughtful responses, but few who would blame the instructor.

My best wishes for a life free of fear and many happy days to come.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom