Spiegel Grove??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Antidepressants, such as tricyclic antidepressants and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) also have antianxiety and antipanic effects, in addition to their antidepressant effects (Surgeon General, 2003). According to the Surgeon General’s report (2003), current practices are to prefer SSRI use because they are better tolerated, have antiobsessional effects, and are safer to use than tricyclic antidepressants and monoamine oxidate inhibitors (MAOIs); however, both tricyclic antidepressants and MAOIs are considered after SSRIs fail to produce the desired results (Surgeon General, 2003). There are six drugs within the SSRI class: fluoxetine (Prozac), sertraline (Zoloft), fluvoxamine (Luvox), paroxetine (Paxil) and citalopram; however, only sertraline (Zoloft) and paroxetine (Paxil) are approved for use with panic disorders. When these drugs are used for panic disorder, low initial doses are used with a slow increase in dosage. According to the Surgeon General, (2003), antidepressant use for the treatment of anxiety should have a duration of at least 4 to 6 months, with slow tapering to avoid reemergence of anxiety symptoms; however, it is likely that treatment of anxiety disorders may require longer term indefinite treatment to prevent relapse.

Conclusion
Panic disorder is a condition that affects 1.7% of the adult population in any given year (NIMH, 2003). The central feature of panic disorder is the presence of repeated unexpected panic attacks, which often leads to a cycle where the individual anticipates having another panic attack and either misinterprets or exaggerates the somatic symptoms of everyday events and situations as signs that predict another panic attack is about to occur, which then predisposes that individual to have another panic attack in the near future. The co-morbidity of other conditions associated with panic disorder often make distinguishing of this condition difficult, as symptoms of this disorder may appear as life-threatening medical issues or as other mental disorders. Further confounding this issue is that about 17% of individuals attempt to self-medicate with the use of drugs or alcohol (NIMH, 2003) and that certain prescription and non-prescription substances can cause presentation symptoms similar to panic disorder.

The exact causes of panic disorder are unknown, but current research and theories indicate that an interaction of genetic, biological, and conditioned factors in causing certain individuals to be more likely to develop this disorder is present. Initial panic attacks generally occur when a person has been placed under considerable stress and the presence of panic disorder tends to run in families (NIMH, 2001). Somehow, people with panic attacks are more prone to biological provocation of a panic attack through direct manipulation of the body’s physiological response within a controlled laboratory setting than are people without the disorder, which suggests that their body is more prone to set off a “false alarm” under normal conditions.

Treatment generally is through the use of medications, such as benzodiazepines and/or antidepressants, and cognitive-behavioral psychotherapy. Though other approaches to psychotherapy (e.g. psychodynamic, interpersonal, etc.) have been used with this group of individuals there is little empirical support currently. Typically, cognitive-behavioral psychotherapy focuses on providing education to bring the client to view their situations in a more realistic manner, teaching breathing and relaxation strategies to calm themselves, and through repeated and systematic exposure to in vivo events and situations and successfully maintaining their composure through these situations. According to Barlow et al. (2000), the Panic Control Treatment based on the cognitive-behavioral model yielded normative levels of functioning in 85% of the individuals are panic-free at the end of the program.

References

American Psychiatric Association. (2000). Diagnostic and statistical manual of
mental disorders (4th ed., text rev.). Washington, DC: Author.

Barlow, D. H., Craske, M., G., & Meadows, E. A. (2000). Mastery of your
anxiety and panic (3rd ed.). San Antonio, TX: The Psychological Corporation.

Butcher, J. N, Carson, R. C. & Mineka, S. (2002). Fundamentals of abnormal
psychology and modern life. Boston, MA: Allyn and Bacon.

McLean, P. D., & Woody, S. R. (2001). Anxiety disorders in adults: An
evidence-based approach to psychological treatment. New York, NY: Oxford
University Press, Inc.

National Institute of Mental Health (2003). Facts about panic disorder.
Publication No. OM-99 4155 (Revised). Printed September 1999, Updated
February 21, 2003. Bethesda, MD: Author. Web-site reference
www.nimh.gov/anxiety/panicfacts.cfm

National Institute of Mental Health (1995). Understanding panic disorder.
Publication No 95-3509 (Revised). Printed 1993, Reprinted 1995 and Updated
June 21, 2001. Bethesda, MD: Author. Web-site reference
www.nimh.nih.gov/anxiety/upd.cfm

National Institute of Mental Health (2001). Panic disorder treatment and referral:
information for health care professionals. Publication No 94-3642. Printed
1994, Updated June 1, 1999. Bethesda, MD: Author. Web-site reference
www.nimh.nih.gov/anxiety/pdtr.cfm

Surgeon General (2003). Mental health: a report of the surgeon general. U.S.
Government Online Bookstore, Washington, DC, GPO Order No.
2003040901540. Web-site reference

That being said, this paper was for land-based panic disorder. I feel that people are more prone to panic underwater because we're inherently "wired" to be in an unlimited air environment without demand valve regulators.............and sometimes the fight or flight response kicks in. It is possible to "think it through" mentally in such situation, but hard to actually do at these times. The best divers are aware of their reactions and responses and are prepared to do deal with them in our chosen "unnatural - i.e. underwater" environment.

I want to mention that I have felt that nitrox mistures are more narcotic than air. In the last few years I have felt more ill-at-ease diving nitrox than years ago when I dove air only. Oxygen is far more soluble than nitrogen in fatty tissues, etc. and may (I emphasize may) have been a factor in bringing on a premature narcosis.

One time a long time ago I flew into Jamaica and went diving I think the next morning to 90 feet, and all of a sudden the colors were flashing. My mind went bonkers, even though I have plenty of experience much deeper.

The patch, the overbreathing the regulator, the lack of comfort at those depths in whatever equipment configuration was used, all have a subtle mental effect. Even 60 feet is narced! If you put people in a chamber at 60 feet and have them play chess against the people outside the outside people always win.

I'm convinced narcotic effects of compressed gas breathing are more seductive and cause more impairment than we think. It's like drunk driving alcohol blood content, which has been revised downward because the driver THINKS he's OK but is not.

Bob

TropicalDiver, thanks for the read. For those of you considering just skimming it over, I highly recommend reading it from start to finish. This is the first medical documentation/attempt to explain the internal factor that may have set off Casemanager's panic attack posted on this thread. It also helps us in understanding factors that we may all face. I would like to point out though, that not all identical twins suffer from panic attacks (as I am an identical twin and not prone to panicing). I've been in many overwhelming situations and have been able to think through the situation in a removed state (like redhatmama mentioned) and walked (and in one case swam) away unscathed.

As a combat platoon leader in the major ground war here in Iraq, I did not allow myself to show the slightest bit of fear to my men even when mortars, artillery, and small-arms fire were coming in on us. The ability to think, be rational, and maintain your situational awareness in the face of grave danger is what saves lives. Period.

DandyDon:
But that sounds too complicated. :confused:

Well panic is mental. You can talk about it in terms of the physiological changes, neurotransmitters, and even at the molecular level, but it all boils down to a state of mind.

The classic approach in education is behavioral: comfort through familiarty, learning through repetition. It's all an extension of getting the pellet after completing the task.

The published literature says that divers typically over represent the sensation seeking types which would be the MBTI Artisans. On the interenet, the Rationals and Idealists are over represented and I think they are here as well. The majority of people are Guardians, but you don't see them as much because they are all too busy watching the Series .. or whatever current event is happening.

I have a natural tendency to want to escape negative situations, particularly personal ones. On the other hand, I also have a strong desire to control my situation and my fear is losing control. I think being analytical and controlling worked to my advantage to prevent panic as panic is the ultimate loss of control.

Personality typing has become very popular in employment screening and online dating and can be helpful in trying to understand yourself as well as others. It's a really out-of-the-box way to think about scuba diving.

Besides, it is something I don't think has EVER been discussed here. Are you a Rational, Idealist, Guardian or Artisan?

http://keirsey.com/matrix.html

Take the test:

http://www.typelogic.com/

casemanager:
I dont understand these people who just accept whatever happens to their body physiology as normal and they just relax and never panic. Thats not me. I made a mistake, one that should make me a better and more responsible diver if I decide to get back into the water.

Not sure if I should be offended by the "these People" remark :06:
But this is a sign of a good diver, you need to be able to resist the urge to panic, rely on your training, and make a safe decission on what action should be taken.

In your open water training you were taught (or should have been taught) how to deal with situations which you are most likely to encounter when diving, a mask flooding, how to deal with an out of air situation, how to orally inflate your BC. I also throw in tank coming loose. If you are able to handle these situations without flinching in environments similar to which you were trained, then you are ready to move on to more challenging environments, and other diving certifications.

OWSI176288:
I'm taking this time to examine what we have learned from this thread so far.

1. Comfort in the water is a must have requirement for deep diving. This comes with training, being familiar with your equipment, and practicing good diving techniques in shallow water.

2. Know your limits and stay within those confines until you feel you are ready to take it to the next level. Just because an agency has a minimum standard does not mean you are ready.

Humm.....so exactly how do you know, or learn what your limits are without testing them in a supervised or controlled setting? Plus how do you get the training needed to be comfortable with advanced dives? Seem to me a good place to start would be an advanced open water class with an instructor in “direct control.” If a student doesn’t have the skills for an advanced class the person who is to be in position of “duty of care” during the class should let the prospective student know he/she is not ready and needs more practice, etc. Don’t you think?

You know what your limits are by slowing working your way into more challenging dives, while acting within your certification limits. You know that you can increase said limits when you can successfully, and flawlessly conduct yourself at a lower limit (be it shallower depth, less current, not at night, not in a drysuit, not low vis, etc)

CASEMANAGER,
I have previously been put in a positon when I had to jump in to rescue a diver who paniced at 120' and rode what I refer to as "the blue elevator button of death to the surface." This person was not one of my students, I had never met them before, but it was a diver in my proximity in need of help. The sight of what this person looked like after their ascent is not something I would wish on anyone, and is one that took me quite a while to get out of my mind. At least one of my (advanced) students who was with me on this day and witnessed this diver's death, has not stepped foot back in the water since. Your inablility to control your panic, is not just a danger to you, but is to any diver in your vicinity.
Please take what "those people" have said on this thread as constructive criticism. If you want to keep diving, you should consult a diving doctor. You also should call DAN and discuss with a diving doc, the medications you are taking, even if a med is OTC, it is still a med! Drinking caffeine, and smoking should also be mentioned to these docs if they are habits you have. Please take the time to become one of "these people" and be completely comfortable in the water.

DandyDon:
He seems to be a "Vacation Diver" - a classification now available on Dive Info here on SB - "Ive been diving for 6 years and have logged about 25 dives but I mostly did in the Carribean."

Altho he may have developed additional interests lately, it doesn't seem to be all that important to him. Doubt that he'd miss it much.

Don, I cant dive as much as I would like to due to money. I absolutely love diving tho. There are many reasons he may not have as much dive experience as another person in the same time period.

ScubaTwo:
Don, I cant dive as much as I would like to due to money. I absolutely love diving tho. There are many reasons he may not have as much dive experience as another person in the same time period.

I would imagine Don or anyone else fault anyone for not diving that much.. Hell I wish I were in the water now!.. The issue becomes important when we attempt training or dives that are at present beyond or experience and skill level.

Nothing wrong with being a vacation diver. I know alot of them. And in the right environments they are very comfortable and competent divers. Do not read into that that I am assumeing anyone else is incompetent!

all I can say is God Bless dry suits lol. Hopefully wont have that long wait this year for warm water and my log wont be empty all winter.

redhatmama:
Well panic is mental. You can talk about it in terms of the physiological changes, neurotransmitters, and even at the molecular level, but it all boils down to a state of mind.

The classic approach in education is behavioral: comfort through familiarty, learning through repetition. It's all an extension of getting the pellet after completing the task.

The published literature says that divers typically over represent the sensation seeking types which would be the MBTI Artisans. On the interenet, the Rationals and Idealists are over represented and I think they are here as well. The majority of people are Guardians, but you don't see them as much because they are all too busy watching the Series .. or whatever current event is happening.

I have a natural tendency to want to escape negative situations, particularly personal ones. On the other hand, I also have a strong desire to control my situation and my fear is losing control. I think being analytical and controlling worked to my advantage to prevent panic as panic is the ultimate loss of control.

Personality typing has become very popular in employment screening and online dating and can be helpful in trying to understand yourself as well as others. It's a really out-of-the-box way to think about scuba diving.

Besides, it is something I don't think has EVER been discussed here. Are you a Rational, Idealist, Guardian or Artisan?

http://keirsey.com/matrix.html

Take the test:

http://www.typelogic.com/

I posed a question on the Basic Scubs Diving thread yesterday asking 'Why Scuba and not Tennis' and this is exactly the sort of thinking and discussion I was hoping to encourage.

Since visiting Scuba Board [only the last couple of weeks] and reading threads such as this one discussing Casemanagers panic attack I have started to think far more deeply about diving, why I do it and why others do it.

Asside from entering another world there is a lot that comes with it, technical proficiency, self confidence, self belief, team work, spousal support, expense, planning etc.etc. So it begs the question why did we choose it and why do we continue to do it.

Why do people push the limits with technical and cave diving - is that a personality trait [in their opinion] or does that come with experience, confidence and training? Personally the thought of diving deep in a cave that has one way in and one way out and could silt up in second terrifies me. But then I am a very inexperienced diver.

I'll keep pondering my thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom