Spiegel Grove??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm taking this time to examine what we have learned from this thread so far.

1. Comfort in the water is a must have requirement for deep diving. This comes with training, being familiar with your equipment, and practicing good diving techniques in shallow water.

2. Know your limits and stay within those confines until you feel you are ready to take it to the next level. Just because an agency has a minimum standard does not mean you are ready.

3. Know your buddy and be honest with everyone you are diving with. If you are unfamiliar with your buddy, the only person you can count on with any certainty is yourself.

4. Maintain a high level of situational awareness. This means knowing where your buddy is at all times, knowing where your DM is at all times, knowing where your instructor is at all times, and following your dive plan.

5. It is always acceptable to abort a dive. If you are experiencing any sort of problem that could snowball out of control no one will question your decision to abort. This includes any problems on the surface prior to ever gearing up.

6. When taking any kind of drugs (over the counter or prescription), contact DAN about their possible interactions at depth.

7. What your instincts tell you to do isn't necessarily the corect thing to do. Develop an analytical brain and think through your first problem to prevent a second problem from happening. (In this case the first problem was panic followed by a hit of being bent from a rapid ascent). Control of your mind to make a safe ascent would have prevented a 5 hour ride in the chamber.

8. Academic study of dive fundamentals and theory will allow you to know the proper thing to do at depth. By constantly learning from various sources (USN Dive manual, various instruction manuals from the different agencies, Dive Training magizine, etc) you will learn, and hopefully take to heart, how to handle yourself and any problems you are faced with.

This list is not exhaustive and I expect my fellow divers to add to this list if I have missed anything. Again, this is not directed specifically at Casemanager, these are learning points for all of us to reiterate to ourselves.

I'm taking this time to examine what we have learned from this thread so far.

1. Comfort in the water is a must have requirement for deep diving. This comes with training, being familiar with your equipment, and practicing good diving techniques in shallow water.

2. Know your limits and stay within those confines until you feel you are ready to take it to the next level. Just because an agency has a minimum standard does not mean you are ready.

Humm.....so exactly how do you know, or learn what your limits are without testing them in a supervised or controlled setting? Plus how do you get the training needed to be comfortable with advanced dives? Seem to me a good place to start would be an advanced open water class with an instructor in “direct control.” If a student doesn’t have the skills for an advanced class the person who is to be in position of “duty of care” during the class should let the prospective student know he/she is not ready and needs more practice, etc. Don’t you think?

Sideband:
I'm pretty sure I'd stress about a panic attack that resulted in a (5 hour?) chamber ride, both as the panicer and as the buddy of one. Also, you would give that advice against the medical advice he got at the chamber? I don't know the qualifications of the chamber tech. but it sounds like at the very minimum a second opinion is in order.

This has me curious and I will ask at the shop when I go in tomorrow as well, but as a dive professional, is the above advice sound?
Situation: One of your students has a panic attack resulting in a chamber ride and that student is told while under medical care that they should not dive again because of panic. Knowing this, do you tell the student to do it if they like it? Do you require a medical waiver or clearance to let them back in class? Do you not STRONGLY recommend getting a lot more current experience on shallow dives before attempting to dive deep again?

As a diver, your potential buddy for a deep dive only tells you he "might get narced" instead of, "I have a history of panic that resulted in me inflating my BC, rocketing to the surface and ending up in a chamber". How do you react if you learn the truth? Personally, I'd be majorly P.O.'d.

Yes, it was only one experience but it is one experience that potentially risked his life and others around him. It wasn't a chamber ride due to an undeserved hit and I haven't seen him take any responsibility for it. These types of threads are usually full of the guy asking why HE reacted that way. How HE can avoid it in the future. How HE will never let it happen again. This one is chock full of 'someone else let it happen'. 'Someone else wasn't watching'. 'Someone else is responsible'. 'Stop blaming me and my actions'

Joe

OK Joe I see your point, but you are taking the "don't stress" comment out of context.
Let me rephrase in such a way that you can see what I meant...What I meant was to give an inexperienced diver who had just experienced a dive accident due to panic, some advice on how to deal with narcosis.

I don't know if CaseManager is now medically unfit to dive or if it was just advice because of the panic attack. That is obviously something that CaseManager will need to check with a medical doctor before continuing diving, and from his later comments in this thread, he understands this. PADI standards also state that if a student's medical status changes during a course, that he needs to get a new medical approval certificate before continuing. Which in this case is he would need another.

I can understand that you might not be very sympathetic towards inexperienced divers who might put others at risk through bad reactions to panic, but not all divers start out being perfect divers. Inexperienced divers often have panic incidents that may or may not lead to accidents. In this case I understand that some blame has been thrown arround and most people have reacted to that. But I would still like to advise CaseManager that if he is medically fit to dive according to a dive doctor, then he should continue to dive and build on his experience and comfort levels.

There have been many helpful tips and advice in this thread which I wil not repeat again. But I would like to repeat what I said about communicating with your buddy about your expectations and fears, etc. If the Buddy is not prepared to dive with you then, then get another buddy or dive with an instructor or dm. I would prefer a diver being honest with me about being for example an anxious diver with a panic history, so that I can be a more attentive and supportive buddy in such a case. And in such a way help an inexperinced diver get more dives and start enjoying diving again.

And I agree with you that he should get a lot more dive experience. That he can only get by diving more and taking more courses.

OWSI176288:
Humm.....so exactly how do you know, or learn what your limits are without testing them in a supervised or controlled setting? Plus how do you get the training needed to be comfortable with advanced dives? Seem to me a good place to start would be an advanced open water class with an instructor in “direct control.” If a student doesn’t have the skills for an advanced class the person who is to be in position of “duty of care” during the class should let the prospective student know he/she is not ready and needs more practice, etc. Don’t you think?

I am not in a position to answer that with my limited diving experience, I'm merely recanting the information experienced divers and instructors have mentioned throughout this thread.

TheScubaGirl,
Sweet. It sounds like we are on the same page then, though I am generally very sympathetic towards inexperienced divers. Even those that have panic attacks. Just this last weekend I had an OW student that panicked on the surface and I had to tow her back to shore. Another panicked at 80' on their AOW deep dive. ( I wasn't there for that one) Both took full responsibility for the situation and were being too hard on themselves. The instructor and I talked to them both to calm them down and told them not to make too much of it. I can't speak for the instructor, but I would have approached it differently had they not realized that we didn't make them panic and it was not us that lost control and stopped thinking. They both looked for internal reasons why it happened. In all of the panic cases I have seen there was little in the way of external warning until they actually were in trouble. Both of the students last weekend had even done a dive that day prior to having the trouble and it had been comfortable for them both. I guess my problem is with, "yeah, I screwed up but it was their job to stop me." from a certified diver.
Your reply cleared up a lot for me. Thanks.
Joe

As far as panic in general (not necessarily about casemanager), what can divers do to prevent panic other than dive? Are there any psychological studies on why some people panic and other people don't? I have had 3 problems underwater where I had to Stop, Breathe and Think to solve them: vertigo from an ear problem, lost and downcurrent from my boat, and breathing fast and shallow at depth. In all 3 of those instances, I felt like I had to switch to an analytical mode and almost step outside of myself in order to control the situation. It was more like a matter of strong will and stubborness.

I think personality types may play a large, yet uninvestigated, role in diving behavior.

redhatmama:
As far as panic in general (not necessarily about casemanager), what can divers do to prevent panic other than dive? Are there any psychological studies on why some people panic and other people don't? I have had 3 problems underwater where I had to Stop, Breathe and Think to solve them: vertigo from an ear problem, lost and downcurrent from my boat, and breathing fast and shallow at depth. In all 3 of those instances, I felt like I had to switch to an analytical mode and almost step outside of myself in order to control the situation. It was more like a matter of strong will and stubborness.
Sounds like you did it well...
I think personality types may play a large, yet uninvestigated, role in diving behavior.
But that sounds too complicated. :confused:

While I may not completely agree with everything said, it IS an interesting read about Panic.
http://www.seagrant.wisc.edu/communications/diving/panicQ&A.htm

Rather then write another 'tombe' as someone put it.
Here are some other rather interesting reads about diving and panic.

http://www.aquastrophics.com/articles/articl32.htm

http://www.iantd.com/articles.html#stress

http://dcolvard.home.mindspring.com/UJ1Q03p040_044_qxd.pdf#search='panic%20and%20the%20diver'

I spent about 5 minutes. Searched 'panic and the diver'.
Enjoy
Waynne Fowler

FYI - for those interested in panic disorder

Introduction
Anxiety disorders are the most common, or frequently occurring, mental disorders. International studies indicate lifetime prevalence rates for panic disorder, in the range of 1.5% to 3.5% of the general population (McLean and Woody, 2001). Panic disorder affects about 1.7% of the adult U.S. population aged 18 to 54, which represents approximately 2.4 million Americans in a given year (National Institute of Mental Health [NIMH], 2003). Panic disorder represents a subset of anxiety disorders, and can occur with agoraphobia or without agoraphobia. Agoraphobia is a condition in which the person becomes afraid of any place or situation in which escape might be difficult or help is unavailable in the event of a panic attack.

According to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual: Fourth Edition, Text Revision, a Panic attack is identified as a “discrete period of intense fear or discomfort in the absence of real danger that is accompanied by at least 4 of 13 somatic or cognitive symptoms” (American Psychological Association [APA], p. 430, 2000). These symptoms include palpitations, sweating, trembling/shaking, sensations of shortness of breath or smothering, feeling of choking, chest pain/discomfort, nausea/abdominal distress, dizziness/lightheadedness, derealization/depersonalization, fear of losing control/“going crazy”, fear of dying, paresthesias, and chills/hot flushes. Panic attacks have sudden onset and generally peak within a 10-minute period. They are often accompanied by feelings of imminent danger or impending doom and include an urge to escape (APA, 2000). Attacks that contain less than the required 4 symptoms are referred to as limited-symptom attacks.

Panic attacks, while being a central feature to panic disorder, can occur without a diagnosis of panic disorder being made. Generally speaking, there are 3 types of panic attacks: Unexpected (appear “of the blue”), situationally bound (attacks are almost invariably associated with a situational cue or trigger), and situationally predisposed (attacks are associated with a situational cue or trigger, but not always noted with that cue or trigger) (APA, 2000). “Panic Attacks can occur in the context of any Anxiety Disorder as well as other mental disorders (e.g., Mood Disorders, Substance-Related Disorders) and some general medical conditions (e.g., cardiac, respiratory, vestibular, gastrointestinal)…” (APA, p. 430, 2000).

A diagnosis of panic disorder DOES require the presence of recurrent Unexpected-type panic attacks, where the individual does not associate an onset with a particular internal or external situational trigger (APA, 2000). Furthermore, the individual must have at least 1 month of persistent concern about either having another attack, worrying about the consequences of the attacks or significantly changing their behavior as a result of the attacks (APA, 2000). Finally, the counselor must rule out the direct effects of a substance (such as cocaine, caffeine, etc.), general medical conditions (such as hyperthyroidism, etc.) and other mental disorders that may better account for the presenting symptoms and signs noted by the counselor (such as Social Phobia, Specific Phobias, etc.).

Individuals with panic disorder also tend to have the remaining two types of panic attacks - situationally cued or predisposed panic attacks - also (APA, 2000). Additionally, the presence of limited-symptom attacks (similar to “full” panic attacks except less than four symptoms are noted) is also common in individuals with panic disorder. Barlow, Craske, and Meadows (2000) discuss a cycle which seems to occur in that the individual with panic disorder learns a fear of fear, in which their heightened sensitivity to unpredictable changes in their body’s internal states and misappraisals of their body sensations creates high levels of chronic anxious apprehension and maintains anticipatory anxiety about the recurrence of a panic attack, which, in turn, increases the likelihood of a panic attack due to the increasing availability of sensations that have become conditioned cues for a panic attack or by increasing their attention to their body’s cues.

Comorbidity with other anxiety disorders (Social Phobia, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Specific Phobia, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, Posttraumatic Stress Disorder, Major Depressive Disorder, Substance-Related Disorder, Separation Anxiety Disorder in childhood, and Hypochondriasis are noted (APA, 2000). Additionally, comorbidity with numerous medical symptoms/conditions (hyperthyroidism, asthma, dizziness, cardiac arrhythmias, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, and irritable bowel syndrome) is noted, but no cause-effect relationship between the presence of panic disorder and these medical challenges are identified at this time (APA, 2000). Women are twice as likely to develop the disorder, and appearance of symptoms typically arises in young adulthood, with roughly half of the people who have this problem developing the condition before 24 years of age (NIMH, 2003). There may be a bimodal distribution, with one peak in late adolescence and a second, smaller peak in mid 30 year olds (APA, 2000). Onset after age 45 is considered “unusual” of this disorder, but it can occur (APA, 2000).

Agoraphobia can represent a more advanced stage of panic disorder and affects about one-third of individuals diagnosed with panic disorder (NIMH, 2001). While agoraphobia may develop at any point within or outside of a panic disorder, it generally develops within the first year of occurrence of recurrent panic attacks (APA, 2000) and the likelihood of a person developing agoraphobia increases as the individual’s history of panic attacks lengthens (Barlow et al., 2000). Interestingly enough, the age of onset or the frequency of panic attacks is not associated with the development of agoraphobia (Barlow et al., 2000).

Etiology
The exact causes of panic disorder are currently unknown, but heredity and other biological events – such as stressful life events or thinking in a manner that exaggerates physiological reactions to typical events seem to play some role in its formation (NIMH, 1999). Panic disorder tends to run in families. Information obtained from twin studies indicates that identical twins are more likely to get panic disorder than fraternal twins (NIMH, 2001). First-degree relatives are 8 times more likely to get the disorder when compared to the general population (APA, 2000). There are two main viewpoints pertaining to the etiology of this disorder.

The cognitive-behavioral theorists focus on possible disturbances in the individual’s coping mechanisms due to repeated life stresses interacting in tandem with a genetic or learned predisposition towards having this disorder. According to Barlow et al. (p. 23, 2000), “Anxiety sensitivity may be acquired unknowingly from a lifetime of direct experiences such as a personal history of significant illness or injury, exposure to significant illnesses or death among family members, or association with family members who display a fear of physical sensations through hypochondriasis.” Additionally, heightened anxiety sensitivity may be created by informational disclosures, such as parental warnings or overprotectiveness regarding physical well being (Barlow et al., 2000). These warnings from other adults may serve to sensitize the panic-prone individual further, as these expressed concerns would validate this person’s feelings or serve to increase the perceived danger of typical situations or events.

According to Barlow et al. (2000), a stress-diathesis interaction seems to account for initial panic attacks. Substantiating this view is the following statement from the National Institute of Mental Health.
Initial panic attacks may occur when people are under considerable stress, from an overload of work, for example, or from the loss of a family member or a close friend. The attacks may also follow surgery, a serious accident, illness, or childbirth. Excessive consumption of caffeine or the use of cocaine or other stimulant drugs or medicines, such as the stimulants used in treating asthma, can also trigger panic attacks (NIH, p. 2, 2001).

The neurobiological theorists focus on whether people with panic disorder have a low tolerance for normal physiological and psychological response to stress – that is, their body’s alarm goes off with little to no provocation (NIMH, 1999). The hypothesis is that their body has learned to perceive normal events as being dangerous, giving rise to a “false alarm”. Research focusing on the provocation of panic attacks indicates that a panic attack can be provoked using carbon dioxide, hyperventilation, caffeine, or sodium lactate (natural chemical that increases in muscles during heavy exercise) in people who have panic disorder, but not in people who do not have the disorder (Butcher, Carson and Mineka, 2002). The fact that people who have been diagnosed as having panic disorder - and therefore a predisposition to have a panic attack due to prior history - can be biologically manipulated to have a panic attack in a laboratory setting, and that people without this predisposition cannot be biologically provoked to such attacks, indicates that both strong psychological and biological factors are at play. This causal relationship between the individual who has panic attacks and the predictable causation of these attacks through biological manipulation continues to be an area of investigation (NIMH, 2001).

Continued

Neurological research focuses on the possible inability of individuals with this disorder to utilize the body’s own naturally produced anxiety-reducing substances or that these individuals may possess possibly abnormal neuronal receptors that are unable to bind with the anxiety-reducing substances (NIMH, 2001). This view is based on the effectiveness of certain types of pharmacological therapies in reducing the presenting symptoms of this disorder.

Research
Early research that focused on the Acute Stress Response (the “fight or flight response”) in the 1980s was limited in its application for three reasons. First, the acute stress response involves an external, not internal, stressor to create the response (Surgeon General, 2003). Additionally, the acute stress response involves arousal levels, which is qualitatively different from anxiety; and finally, this theory could not explain why neurotransmitters other than norephinephrine (namely serotonin) would help alleviate symptoms of anxiety (Surgeon General, 2003).

Current studies in animals and humans to date have been focusing on two key regulatory centers in the cerebral hemispheres in the brain – the hippocampus and the amygdala, which coordinates the body’s fear response (NIMH, 1999 and Surgeon General, 2003). These regulatory centers are thought to activate the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenocortical (HPA) axis (Surgeon General, 2003). These regions of the brain govern memory storage and emotions and are major players in the limbic system (Surgeon General, 2003). In this hypothesis and current area of study, it is believed that sensory information is processed by the central nucleus of the amygdala, which then projects to multiple brain systems involved in the physiologic and behavioral responses to fear (Surgeon General, 2003). The Surgeon General’s Report (p.4, 2003) indicates that “Anxiety differs from fear in that the fear-producing stimulus is either not present of not immediately threatening, but in anticipation of danger, the same arousal, vigilance, physiologic preparedness, and negative affects and cognitions occur.” It is hypothesized that the abnormal activation or dysregulation of these fear pathways plays a role in the development of anxiety disorders, such as panic disorder.

According to the Surgeon General’s Report (2003), there are at least five neurotransmitters are involved in anxiety: serotonin, norepinephrine, gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), corticotropin-releasing hormone (CRH) and cholecystokinin. Serotonin and GABA are inhibitory neurotransmitters that appear to quiet the stress response (Surgeon General, 2003). All of the neurotransmitters are of potential therapeutic value, because they are so intertwined that changes to one neurotransmitter system will invariably change others in a systematic fashion – though the exact functioning of this system is still unknown (Surgeon General, 2003).

Current listed studies sponsored by the National Institute of Mental Health (www.clinicaltrials.gov) include the following: Interpersonal therapy for depression with co-occurring panic and anxiety symptoms, Serotonin 1A receptor imaging and benzodiazepine receptor imaging in panic disorder and posttraumatic stress disorder, combined treatment with a benzodiazepine (Clonazepam) and a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (Paroxetine) for rapid treatment of panic disorder with depression, and Treatment of panic disorder: long term strategies.

Treatment
Treatment for panic disorder typically includes the use of medications and/or psychotherapy (Butcher et al., 2002), with a combination of medication and psychotherapy use generally reserved for more complex, complicated, severe, or comorbid disorders (Surgeon General, 2003). According to the Surgeon General’s Report (2003), four psychological views of anxiety are worth inclusion in the treatment of panic disorder. The psychodynamic model, which states that anxiety reflects basic unresolved conflicts or is an expression of anger, has no empirical support though it is amenable to scientific study. The interpersonal model has not yet received empirical support (Surgeon General, 2003). The behavioral model, which states that classical conditioning through pairing a neutral stimulus with a frightening stimulus and vicarious learning from other’s reactions to fear-inducing stimuli, has some empirical support. Finally, the cognitive model, which examines faulty ways in which people interpret or perceive stressful events, also has some empirical support.

The use of cognitive-behavioral therapy, in particular, seems to be the one most commonly recognized in the treatment of this disorder, with extensive evidence noting its usefulness (Surgeon General, 2003). According to the National Institute of Mental Heath (2001), the client sees the therapist for 1-3 hours per week. A great example of the cognitive-behavioral therapeutic approach is the approach described by Craske et al. (2000) book titled Mastering your anxiety and panic: third edition (MAP-3).

In the Mastering your anxiety and panic: third edition (MAP-3) the client goes through workbooks with the therapist where four components of treatment are used (Barlow et al., 2000). First, the client is provided with basic information, education, and cognitive restructuring activities to correct misinformation and misinterpretations and to create more realistic thinking patterns. Second, somatic control activities are taught, which include breathing retraining (deep breathing rather than hyperventilation) and progressive muscle relaxation training, which work to challenge misappraisals and conditioned fear responses during panic attacks. Third, the elicitation of somatic (internal) symptoms in a systematic and controlled manner, through a procedure called intereoceptive exposure, is used, which creates an increasing tolerance of the sensations associated with a panic attack without having a panic attack. This procedure includes simulation exercises and naturalistic activities and requires removal of all unnecessary client safety behaviors (i.e. holding onto a chair for support) that inadvertently reinforce fear. Finally, in vivo (real life) exposure is conducted, with the focus being on helping the client gain control over panic attacks.

Medication use, or pharmacotherapy, is a frequent approach for treatment of panic disorders, with benzodiazepines and antidepressants (Surgeon General, 2003) being the pharmacological forerunners. The benzodiazepine family includes diazepam (Valium), lorazepam (Ativan), clonazepam (Klonopin), and alprazolam (Xanax). They are thought to work through enhancing the inhibitory neurotransmitter systems using GABA by binding to the GABA receptor site and acting as receptor agonists (Surgeon General, 2003). According to the Surgeon General (2003), many clinicians utilize benzodiazepines in tandem with antidepressants, with the benzodiazepines quickly tapered as the antidepressant’s effects become evident. This use of benzodiazepines is to obtain access to their rapid antianxiety and sedative-hypnotic effects for acute use, yet to quickly taper or discontinue due to their potential drug dependence risks and relapse on discontinuation risks (Surgeon General, 2003).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom