SPG position? On the left? Why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's not a skill problem (I don't think instructor would have given me a license if I and skills problem) it's just more conveignent to know your gaz level without touching anything.

Valéry;5724679:
It's not a skill problem (I don't think instructor would have given me a license if I and skills problem) it's just more conveignent to know your gaz level without touching anything.

Well, I wouldn't certify someone who couldn't deal with an SPG and slung tanks on the same side.

Neither would I certify someone who said it was "impossible" or "stupid" to use a hogarthian configuration.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know Valery. I knew there is something of a language barrier right away. I also don't know how they dive in his neck of the woods? I know he is just expressing his opinion in his own way. I have enough SA to not take everybody at their literal word all the time. If I don't like what I read I move on to the next post. Particularily in a thread where people are expressing a variety of options. I don't feel the need to begin telling people they have no business diving their way with their dive count, bring up buddies putting body bags into vans and ragging on and on. It's just an opinion: like it/dislike it... move on. It bears as much value to me as discussions about roll off in a recreational diving thread.

Imagine if Richard Pyle posted here anonymously and described his old OC rig. What a dogpile that would be. What he must lack in skill...

Last edited:
In the cave diving configuration popularized by Hogarth, DIR, NAUI-Tech, etc the important issue is not the handedness of the diver, but the fact that the right post on the manifold will not roll off. That means that the long hose comes off the right side to prevent a roll off when donating gas. Since you don't want to trap the long hose, the SPG hose goes on the other side.

It might have made sense to have the left post use a reverse threaded valve so that it also would not roll off, but changing now would cause too much potential confusion.

One Adam Twelve, One Adam Twelve; DIR violation at 5th and main. Respond Code 2 after your Code 7....

One Adam Twelve, copy! 10-8 Code 2 after 10-7 :police: :m16: :angrymob:

what does it have to do with DIR?

Discussion is about SPG on the left side waist D-Ring VS other locations. My highlighting from Lamont's post is: "what is has to do with DIR". But otherwise, it was strictly meant to be lighthearted in a thread gone awry - again!

Ok...I'll try and please all perspectives in this debate, because I can see some confusion over various contributors' perspectives.

For those who think 'Advanced Diving' means PADI Advanced Open Water ...

It's perfectly acceptable to clip your SPG wherever you want on your jacket BCD. There is no 'best practice' methodology. Nobody cares what you do - it's your choice, because the risks are so low and even if you do go OOA, you can CESA anyway. You don't have issues of entanglement...and a punctured hose won't be a slow death sentence for you. It's a pretty BASIC answer for you guys....

For those who think 'Advanced Diving' represents activities with a high level of technicality, at the borderline with technical diving pursuits, such as accelerated deco and overhead environments...

There is a strong consensus within the advanced diving/tech/cave community that dicates an approach based on the hogarthian model. That approach has arisen on the basis of many years of accident research and progressive refinement. If you wish to advocate deviating from that approach, then you'd better have a lot of compelling evidence and experience to support your views. This is because ADVANCED diving has a high degree of lethality, which demands a far more measured and reasoned approach to your kit configuration.

Last edited:
Aspiring to Justin Germany and Ashton Moore.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Alright, folks, the discussion of Basic/not-Basic, Tech/not-Tech has been moved over to Feedback since that is where all the recent similar discussions on this topic have been taking place. Please go over there if you'd like to weigh in on that issue. For this thread, please do continue to discuss the topic of SPG placement and related questions. Thanks.

Valéry;5724641:
I use 2 aluminium 6l stages that I have to wear under the left arm

Why do you HAVE to wear 2 stages under the left arm?

These aren't even big stages! What you're trying to do is a basic level technical diving skill. If you cant do that (quite literally) with your eyes closed whilst doing something else you have no business diving stages at all.

And surely any diver "experienced" enough to be diving to stages or even leashes as you suggest is capable of thinking through an alternate method of placing his SPG if its annoying him that much rather than having to ask on a forum!

it's just more conveignent to know your gaz level without touching anything.

2 things. Firstly for anyone with even the basic skills needed for safe technical diving it wakes i would guess about 3-4 seconds to unclip, read, reclip. What exactly are you doing on a dive that requires the SPG to be checked THAT often that you cant take a few seconds out to do it! What else are you using your hands for?!
An SPG is a confirmation of the gas amount you have. You should at this level already know what the gauge is going to say before you read it.

Id be very concerned about a diver that has no feel for his gas usage so it requires constant checking while at the same time having no spare hands or 5 seconds free on a dive to unclip read and reclip!

If you read back the first op post the question is very clear why the spg has to be on the left and not on the right. He’s not asking on which d ring should he clip but why on the left and not on the right.
So my answer was very very clear, but you and a few others don’t want to understand it, and rather look for the unclear statement part and start making assumption. (I’m going to make a few about you later and you’ll tell me how annoying it is.)

Then on post n:5 he ask if there is dangers in having the spg on the right. That’s why I’ve answered that 1 of the reason to keep it on left is that the spg should be on the opposite post of which you’re breathing (assuming you’re diving twins), this way if your manifold or left post is close you’ll notice it.

So in my post the “no other choice” was to sum up all the different configuration to make it more convenient to check my spg. So I’ve never stated that I could not check my spg if it was on the left hips d-ring. You just assumed I couldn’t not that I find it more convenient to check it without having to touch it.

Andy, you speak of approved practice, what are you talking about??? The fact that most world diving record have been done with OMS wings with bungee cord?? Correct me if I’m wrong but does DIR accept wings with bungees? Or maybe you’re talking about the 5th port of the first stage making hose routing much more conveignent, I think that I should throw my tek3 and buy 1 of these. Or maybe that some agencies teach recreational diving with long hose and wings and other forbid them totally. Why a computer just take a slate….

Since you and some other haven’t read and understood correctly my 1st post I’ll explain it slowly.
I’ve an OMS BC on my AL80 twins. This BC doesn’t have a d-ring on the back of my crotch strap (my other Hollis bc on my single tank has 1, now I’m lost which 1 should I call to tell them they’re not approved practice), so that mean 2 stage clip and 1 spg clip and 1 leash clip have to be on my left d-ring.

So since I had the option of putting my spg under my left shoulder and under my chest it was stupid in my case (here come the so dirty “stupid” statement of mine) not to change to a more convenient hose routing. I wasn't insulting your beloved uncle Hogarth.

I agree that I may have a language issue (English is not my 1st language) but it’s less choking than stating that you won’t certify someone that has a different opinion than yours (your post n:82). I don’t know how it works in Philippine but here in Lebanon different opinion lead to improvement No need to explain yourself I’m just assuming back.

String: please learn to read it’s not me who is asking where to put my spg but the OP and on your way to school read also those books INTD, SSItxr, GUE, DIR, NAUITEC, PADISAT, they all uses 2 al stage under 1 arm, maybe you should ask Pascal Bernabe why he dives with 2 12l Al tank under 1 arm.

Thank you DaleC for your open mind and clever participation.

Enough explanation, I'm borring myself.

My apologies to the OP for having to explain myself. I won’t do anymore comment on my diving practice on this thread.

Last edited:
Discussion is about SPG on the left side waist D-Ring VS other locations. My highlighting from Lamont's post is: "what is has to do with DIR". But otherwise, it was strictly meant to be lighthearted in a thread gone awry - again!

And you zero'd in and picked "DIR" out of that list. You could ask "what does NAUI-Tech" have to do with this discussion? or "what does Hogarthian configuration have to do with this discussion?"

They've got relevant answers to the question, and I offered those answers in the context of what they can offer, not that its the only possible answer to the question in the recreational context -- I did check the forum we were in before I posted, unlike the usual trolls in the DIR section...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom