SPG position? On the left? Why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, I didn't. :wink:

I only said they were doing it improperly, if their choices were defined by a lack of ability to do it in other ways. :D

You and your darn PC politeness :crafty:

Andy, that was a BEAUTIFUL post. We get laughed at for condemning an equipment solution to a technique problem . . . but really, if you are doing double stage dives, your technique should be at the unconscious competence level. Unclipping an SPG from beneath a couple of bottles is very awkward at first, but it's a skill and it can be learned, and once you figure it out, it really isn't a big deal. If you CAN do it but for some reason decide not to, that's one thing. But if you change a standard configuration to something very non-standard because you can't manage a simple skill that most technical divers think nothing of doing, then you are really guilty of an equipment solution to a technique problem . . . and because that is evidence that your technique is weak, something WILL bite you in the butt at some point.

Too many people just don't realize that any routine dive is easy. Pack on the gear, pack on the complexity . . . as long as everything goes perfectly, most times you'll be fine. But will your skill set suffice when things go pear-shaped? If unclipping an SPG is an issue, you don't have much bandwidth of skill or thinking left to work with.

I'm not crazy or stupid, my profil is not updated.
I use 2 aluminium 6l stages that I have to wear under the left arm and sometime a leach with additional gaz on my back (attached to the thing that goes between my legs, don't know the English name for it).
So swapping bottle gaz with an spg clipped to the waist d ring was a real pita spetialy when you don't want to lose time.

Something that I've always found interesting is "have the right tool for the job" vs "equipment solution to a skills problem." It's particularly interesting if you add something to avoid general dogma or manufacturer's profiteering.

Valéry;5724641:
(attached to the thing that goes between my legs, don't know the English name for it).

Crotch strap might be the term you're looking for?

Well Andy let me also give you nice compliment. You sound like you know everything and can judge people on how many dive they have or on just 1 post.
I have the right to think that there are better way to route your spg than clipping it on my waist and topping it with 2 stage. I check very often my spg so if I found it ease to look down than to clip unclip its my problem.
Why don't you start by burning the op for daring to ask spg why on left?

Valery... you are the person who described certain procedures and configurations as 'impossible' or 'stupid'...and that you had 'no other choice'.

I didn't judge you on your dive count... I judged you on the nonsense you wrote to excuse your inability to use a hogarthian configuration. However, that nonsense did seem applicable to a diver with low experience and skill.

Maybe this is a language issue.... but your 'absolute' words shouldn't be used by a competant technical diver when discussing their problem solving methodology for kit configuration.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom