SPG position? On the left? Why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Subcooled

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This is a night diving related question.
Gauges need to be lit to be seen.
Drysuit + dry mittens.
I am right handed.

So... the dive computer and compass need to be in one hand, while the dive light is in the opposite hand. This is the only way to see the gauges. The reel must be in the same hand as the dive light (goodman handle). As I am right handed, the reel should probably go to my left hand. This allows easier spooling in. So the light is to the left. Compass and computer to the right. All seems clear. If I ever need to use the drysuit forced dump button, my right hand is free of gear, and button pressing is easy. Very nice.

But then...

My SPG is left in darkness to the LEFT.

Why is it so popular to keep the SPG to the left? :confused:

I really can't see the point. I understand that it is the DIR way of doing things (like including a mostly useless DPV D-ring in the crotch strap while leaving out the right hip D-ring for canister lights - a fact that makes me a bit agnostic).

Should I just learn to turn the light 135 degrees down/back, the SPG 180 degrees/upside down, and my head 135 degrees down? Is it just a matter of mastering underwater yoga? Or would it perhaps be more clever to be a heretic and just move the SPG to the right?

Any advice would be welcome.

Reach down with the left hand, unclip the SPG, raise the SPG to chest height, read the SPG whilst illuminating it with the torch (in your right hand).

What's the issue?

1. clip the reel to harness
2. move the light to right hand
3. grab the SPG and view (or unclip-view-clip)
4. return the light
5. unclip the reel and take it into hand

instead of a 5 second procedure (grab the SPG to the right, turn the light, view)

If having the SPG on the left doesn't work for you, by all means, try setting it up on your right hand side. I would just be careful that the HP hose doesn't get tangled up with your reg hoses or the can light cord. :wink:

Are there any hidden dangers in having the SPG to the right?

Some situations, where it would really be inconvenient or a risk?
(besides the fact that it's different from others setup)

My HP hose is long enough :) I used to route it under the left arm and under the strap, but I did not fasten the SPG anywhere. It was dragging... Then I started to clip it to my harness. It's much better that way.

I tried to look at the SPG without unclipping it. Never even tried to unclip.

I thought that unclipping would be difficult with all that gear and with insulated dry gloves. With gloves it is difficult to even press a single button on my computer to enable the backlight. And now I should unclip something with mittens. It's going to be a challenge :D

... but I'll give it a try. Maybe it's just lack of experience.

I didn't consider the possibility of hoses getting entangled...

-------------
Yes, the angles etc. may be a bit confusing. I was trying to describe how to view a SPG that remains clipped to the harness. It's quite difficult to see something that's five inches from your chest :D

its just hose routing.......

when im diving indies i have one on left one on right,,, no dramas. The only real benefit of spg left when not scootering is clutter....

Why is it on the left – Tradition.

In the 60’s the first single hose regulators with an SPG ran the SPG out opposite of the 2nd stage. Look at 95% of 2nd stages and ask why do they come over your right side, the answer will be the same – “because they always have been on that side.”

All of these other answers may be correct within their systems (lot of DIR philosophy so far) but the root reason is a design and manufacturing decision that pre-dates these systems.

Mine comes down my left side and then clips to either shoulder D-ring (whichever side works best for you) then can be seen without unclipping and does not pose an entanglement hazard. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom