SPG position? On the left? Why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And you zero'd in and picked "DIR" out of that list. You could ask "what does NAUI-Tech" have to do with this discussion? or "what does Hogarthian configuration have to do with this discussion?"

They've got relevant answers to the question, and I offered those answers in the context of what they can offer, not that its the only possible answer to the question in the recreational context -- I did check the forum we were in before I posted, unlike the usual trolls in the DIR section...

You realize I was not responding to your comment but using it in response to someone else's? Your comment seemed relevant to me and I have no issues with what you said. I was asked what DIR has to do with this, and I thought you answered that quite well. And that is why I picked out DIR VS Naui-Tech or others.

Time to lighten up peeps - no sense of humor around here at all - well except for Jax.

You realize I was not responding to your comment but using it in response to someone else's? Your comment seemed relevant to me and I have no issues with what you said. I was asked what DIR has to do with this, and I thought you answered that quite well. And that is why I picked out DIR VS Naui-Tech or others.

Time to lighten up peeps - no sense of humor around here at all - well except for Jax.

dir bashing gets a little old is all. no offense

particularly in the context of condoning diving with 2 stages and not being able to unclip your SPG off the left.

One Adam Twelve, One Adam Twelve; DIR violation at 5th and main. Respond Code 2 after your Code 7....

One Adam Twelve, copy! 10-8 Code 2 after 10-7 :police: :m16: :angrymob:

Yeah, but as DIR bashing posts go, that is a pretty funny one... not that I ever approve of troll-esque posts. :no:

So in summary you choose to completely ignore the question as to why you have to have 2 stages under the left arm.

You're consistent because you then go on to fail to explain why you need to be able to check the SPG so frequently and without touching it. The only logical conclusion for that is a lack of appreciation of gas usage. Ie a lack of skills.

Then on post n:5 he ask if there is dangers in having the spg on the right. That’s why I’ve answered that 1 of the reason to keep it on left is that the spg should be on the opposite post of which you’re breathing (assuming you’re diving twins), this way if your manifold or left post is close you’ll notice it.

You fail to address you'll notice it the other way too. You're either going to see gas being "used" twice as fast or not used at all. Again at this level you should have an appreciation of gas usage and the gauge is merely confirmation. If its not telling you what you expect then something is wrong.

So in my post the “no other choice” was to sum up all the different configuration to make it more convenient to check my spg.

But there is a choice. So you got that one wrong.

Or maybe that some agencies teach recreational diving with long hose and wings and other forbid them totally.

I can think of exactly 1 agency that bans a long hose. I cant think of ANY agency that bans wings. Enlighten is. What are these agencies?

I’ve an OMS BC on my AL80 twins. This BC doesn’t have a d-ring on the back of my
crotch strap

Why are you using a BCD with twins? Use the right tool for the job.
If you mean an OMS wing and plate then its a 5 second job to fit a d-ring. Again, right tool for the job.

(my other Hollis bc on my single tank has 1, now I’m lost which 1 should I call to tell them they’re not approved practice), so that mean 2 stage clip and 1 spg clip and 1 leash clip have to be on my left d-ring.

And that's difficult how exactly? We're talking basic skills here.

I agree that I may have a language issue (English is not my 1st language) but it’s less choking than stating that you won’t certify someone that has a different opinion than yours (your post n:82).

Not certifying someone that fails to meet the standards for the course and who isn't safe is a perfectly valid reason!. If you're unable to perform stage rotation, SPG remove and replace and other skills you aren't meeting the standards and aren't safe.

String: please learn to read it’s not me who is asking where to put my spg but the OP and on your way to school read also those books INTD,

IANTD don't mandate all left

Don't mandate all left

, GUE, DIR,

GUE and DIR are the same thing. You got that wrong too.

Dont mandate all left

Assuming you mean PADI they don't mandate all left either

While we're on the subject neither do TDI or BSAC

they all uses 2 al stage under 1 arm,

No they don't. You appear to have managed to be 100% wrong there. Congratulations. Quite a feat.

Enough explanation, I'm borring myself.

So how about explaining why you have to have them all left? Or why you have to check an SPG very very frequently and with no hands? And why its so hard to clip 3 things off to a D-ring?

This is all sounding a bit petty, so I'll give you someone else to focus on.

I was never taught to put deco bottles on any particular side. After trying some variations I settled on what I now do.

I was never shown how to use a leash during training. I learnt that by asking a question on the intraweb. Many thanx to the SB members that supplied video & explanations.

I was never taught any specific way to route the long hose. I tried several variations before settling on the method I preferred.

At no stage during my training did anyone so much as demo any kicking techniques. As a consequence I just flop around.

The list of my poor/lacking skills go's on & on, but I'm too slack to type them all up.

Yeah, but as DIR bashing posts go, that is a pretty funny one... not that I ever approve of troll-esque posts. :no:

not really funny at all. the whole warm-fuzzy everyone can dive the way the like in as much of a CF as they like on any dive in the world, or else you're the big bad mean DIR scuba police idea is getting old quickly. seems to tie into this idea that we all deserve to be winners and people who are critical are meanies and we all get to have positive reinforcement. i'd much prefer to deal with people who bluntly told me what i was doing was not up to par or crap and give me something to work on -- because a cave or a decompression obligation isn't going to be exactly delicate to your ego...

and the lack of skill in clipping an SPG isn't just a "DIR"-ism, its just basic lack of competency, and i'm starting to notice a general erosion of standards in cave and technical diving even since i started diving...

not really funny at all. the whole warm-fuzzy everyone can dive the way the like in as much of a CF as they like on any dive in the world, or else you're the big bad mean DIR scuba police idea is getting old quickly.
Sure, but the idea that "all Polacks are stupid" is even older, but it can still be amusing with an appropriate bon mot. Being able to laugh at your own expense is a sign of humility and self confidence.
i'm starting to notice a general erosion of standards in cave and technical diving even since i started diving...
The erosion probably commenced when I started.

Sure, but the idea that "all Polacks are stupid" is even older, but it can still be amusing with an appropriate bon mot. Being able to laugh at your own expense is a sign of humility and self confidence.

The erosion probably commenced when I started.

I would offer up that the rest of you jokers don't meet that criteria :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom