SPG position? On the left? Why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So how about explaining why you have to have them all left? Or why you have to check an SPG very very frequently

I'd gladly do but since i'm talking to an instructor I can't believe that you don't know the answer. You just want me to answer so you can criticize again.

I guess that Valery's issues must reflect a cultural/regional tech diving trend.

It seems the main tech training centre in Lebanon is the National Institute For Scuba Diving in Beruit. Did you train there Valery?

From looking at the photos on their website, it would seem that hose configuration and routing isn't a very high priority within their tech philosophy...

Exhibit A:
http://62.0.5.135/www.nisd-online.com/images/technical_files/image001.jpg
image001.jpg
image003.jpg

No my friend, most of the diving agency are represented here. For me it was ssi. I've choosen ssi, because my instructor who is also an instructor trainer and is actually training the army on trimix is affiliated to an ssi dive center.

Maybe some agency here doesn't stress on hose routing, but for me every thing in diving is important. And if I can learn something from you I'd be very pleased.

For 20 years I have had my SPG on my right side. I never had a problem. Now I have a crappy regulator with not enough ports so I had to put it on the left side :(

Valéry;5727169:
I'd gladly do but since i'm talking to an instructor I can't believe that you don't know the answer. You just want me to answer so you can criticize again.

I'm not an instructor... would you answer for me if not for String?

Since the original question centered around how to see the spg when the light is held on the same side. I have found that by shining my light backwards on the left side (provided my buddy is not there) illuminates my spg, then I can quickly unclip it, look at it and reclip it without a problem. Simply shifting the reel to the right hand for this procedure takes only a second.

As has already been stated, adding additional task loading should be undertaken in a slow and orderly manner. I have not yet added my scooter to this configuration because I don't think I could handle it. Similarly, I don't carry a camera while running line doing an ice dive. I'm not ready for it.
I'll add an additional task, practice it for a period of time until I have it down, then add something else.

Along the way I have had several dives where I am sure I looked like a monkey with a football, then afterwards we all had a good laugh.

In addition, it seems to me that placing the spg on my right side behind or in front of the can light, would very easily interfere with both stowing and deploying the long hose.

just my opinion. ymmv

I keep my consol, SPG, computer, compass clipped to a retractable on my left. Doesn't drag and is easy to get to. I think the reason I keep it on the left is because when learning to dive my instructer set it up that way (along with everyone else in the class) so he could find it to check our remaining air without having to search for the gauge. When you have 3, or more students in a class it is nice to know where everyone has everything attached. This works for me, I see no reason to change it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom