SP all metal DIN parts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The saddle gets replaced not the din wheel. I thought you want to swap the din fitting from the Mk15 to the Mk20.

Yes, but the recall is for Mk20 and these DIN parts are not from a Mk20.

Worth asking but the recall may not apply.

The saddle gets replaced not the din wheel.

Please read the SP Bulletin "MK 20 Yoke Retainer Illustration." The name is a bit confusing as the bulletin addresses an issue with both yoke and DIN regulators and is effective for the MK 20 and MK 25. We noted earlier that the high pressure air inlet fitting, referred to as "retainers," are interchangeable on a number of models; therefore the same caution applies.

Technicians were over torquing the retainers and damaging the regulator body. The retainer was redesigned to help prevent body damage in such cases. A saddle change was included in the recall so the owner and service tech could readily identify that the bulletin was accomplished.

I'm sure there are some regulators out there that only have the saddle change, and some that have the bulletin accomplished but still have the old saddle. That's why it's important to understand the purpose of the recall and be able to identify the correct parts.

Having said all that-if the retainer is torqued correctly this is a non-issue.

Last edited:
Did the MK20 come with a yoke? Look on the plastic saddle and see if it has two or three 'fins' (for lack of a better word). Better yet, post a picture of the yoke retainer. If it's the old style yoke retainer, bring that in with the reg. Who knows, they might give you a new DIN retainer instead of the yoke retainer. Anyhow, they'll look up the reg by the serial number and find out if the recall has been done; if it hasn't, they really are supposed to do it. Worst case, you'll get a new yoke retainer that you might be able to trade for a DIN retainer.

The fins on the saddle are not really a reliable way to tell whether it's been done. There was a shop in TX that was doing the recalls simply by replacing the plastic saddle, and not the defective retainers. More quality professionals.....

Or, you can just use the MK15 retainer and don't overtorque it or let some goon on a boat lift your tank by the regulator.

The Mk20 came with yoke. I already had that replaced.

I had a spare metal DIN conversion lying around and figured I would use it on the Mk20. It did not come with the Mk20. It's probably from a Mk15 or older.

I understand it has the same issue as the original Mk20 parts. Especially if they are they interchangeable.

Just not sure the recall would apply to pre-Mk20 parts. It's not like the Mk15 had a recall.

If you had the recall done to replace the yoke retainer, then you're on your own for the DIN retainer, but as mentioned, the MK15 retainer will work. I suspect the DIN retainer that you have does not have the separate filter retainer, correct? You insert the filter from the end of the retainer that goes into the regulator.

It doesn't matter, in fact on my MK10s I have one of each of the old and new retainers, both with metal wheels.

I suspect the DIN retainer that you have does not have the separate filter retainer, correct? You insert the filter from the end of the retainer that goes into the regulator.

Correct. Right now the filter is held in by one of the metal gear shaped filter retainers, which I suspect is wrong. The wheel is held on by a c-clip.

The little star washer is right for those DIN retainers. I've only seen c-clips on MK5 and early MK2 DIN retainers, in fact that makes me a bit suspicious about them for use on a MK15 or MK20. I could be wrong about it. I would get a hold of a modern retainer somehow and compare the lengths and the profile as it goes into the body.

I bought an old style DIN retainer once that was listed as for a MK2, and I had (correctly, it turned out) hoped it was actually a MK5 retainer. If that's what you have, I'd bet anything you could sell or trade it and get a new one for your MK20.

But it also would not surprise me to learn that there was a MK15 DIN retainer with a c-clip, I've just never seen one.

How is the Mk5 DIN supposed to seal against the body?

The other Mk15 has a oring which keeps the DIN wheel on and an oring inside the end that goes into the body which holds the filter in and for sealing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom