Some Musings on Etiquette (Hey what's that) When in Cozumel and Other "Stuff"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good points Dan. :thumb: The original post was wonderful and I was surprised to see this turned into another tipping thread, but it serves a good purpose. Sadly, when I first started dive travel, I had the idea that $2 was a decent tip. :silly: A reasonable suggestion from another diver helped me be more reasonable...

Thanks Don,
I think it is great that this type of thing gets covered here on scubaboard. I know a lot of people in the dive industry, and when I see a good crew really working to make sure that their divers have a great time, I feel better knowing "We" did what we could to help alert the divers/customers to the "Need" to take care of this crew.

If you really want to appreciate the good crew, go out on your own boat a few times, with no crew, and no one wanting to be captain :) , and you quickly discover how much more fun diving on a good charter boat really is.

There will always be those who can justify their unwillingness to show their appreciation for the crew by saying that they won't be pressured into tipping (or any one of a million other excuses).
For the record, nowhere did mfinley or I say that we do not tip or even that we tip below the "acceptable" level.

129001815835996137.jpg

funny-pictures-cat-asks-for-a-tip.jpg

QUOTE: "LOL ..... well to make it a bit more obvious (as you well know!) her tips have been known to frequently go down the top!"

I always put my tip - for him and the DM - in my Boat Capt's pocket - we've known each other for many years but it still always gets a wahoo!! laugh. :blinking:

Reactions: Jax
Had I not found this board I would not have known about standard tipping procedures or amounts. And since I was the only diver for the first four days of my first boat-diving trip, I may have stiffed the crew each day although I would have gladly tipped had I known. So some of those non-tippers may just be new and unprepared. Or they may be tightwads.

this was me on my first dive trip, I had no idea on tipping protocol for dive operations. would have gladly done so as it was a geat trip. oddly I dont recall seeing anyone dive on this trip tipping either as I would like to think my SA is normally high and would have noticed this.

I hate to bring this up but another sensitive subject comes to mind -- SMOKING.

If you are going to smoke, it would be very considerate to move to the back of the boat, where you are down wind to everyone. I am still surprised how people think just because they are "outside" they can smoke anywhere they choose on the boat. I don't know if I am just sensitive to it but when someone exhales a long puff it seems to fly straight into my face. I seem even more sensitive to it right after coming out of the water.

And cigars? That's a tough one. I know you are on vacation and you certainly have the right to light up and enjoy a big "Cuban" cigar, but the smoke from a cigar is especially strong and I personally feel that you should wait until you get off the boat before you light one up. Of course, it is just my personal opinion, but I feel there are too many people sharing that small space to have to breathe cigar smoke for their entire surface interval.

Since we're at page 6, just reiterating about the rolling bags. Please bring on a carry bag to carry your gear on to the boat. At the very least, make sure you can store your bag under where you are sitting.

Thanks for mentioning about spitting in your mask and than throwing it in the tank. ewwwww!!

If you want to be extra popular, bring along some Dramamine. There is always someone on the boat that doesn't expect to get seasick and ends up surprised. They will love you forever!

I've never experienced anyone ever lighting up on the boat....S.I., yes. I would think the boat capt. would put an end to that quickly.....fire, fuel,compressed gas....not a good mix. Now afterward, as a former smoker but not a preacher, a smoke & a beer....aaah, I miss those days.

Mike

I've never seen anyone light up in a boat either, that would freak me out .... and I'm always surprised how many light up at the SI.

A few things I thought of to add .....

• I usually bring a small container of lemon drops to share - they really help you get the salt out of your mouth.
  • If you pop out your mask drops to use, see if anyone else needs them. (As my daughter says - "sharing is caring!" LOL!)
  • If you carry a rattle -and I do- make sure it attached in some way that it doesn't rattle non-stop. (I was on a dive where a diver had it attached to his wrist with his camera. I wanted to beat him senseless by the time the dive was over!)

If you carry a rattle -and I do- make sure it attached in some way that it doesn't rattle non-stop. (I was on a dive where a diver had it attached to his wrist with his camera. I wanted to beat him senseless by the time the dive was over!)

YES! Thank you...thank you...thank you!!!

I have seen people smoking on the boat during the surface interval on almost every dive. Cozumel. Florida. Belize. Just lucky, I guess. <cough cough>

Somebody also mentioned to me about another diver... "Does she really need to douse herself with perfume before she goes diving??"
Personally, I have a tube of lip gloss in my save-a-dive kit. muah!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom