Some Musings on Etiquette (Hey what's that) When in Cozumel and Other "Stuff"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JenLoves2Dive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499

OK. Since there's going to be a lot of SB Invaders in Cozumel soon, this might be a good time to bring up a few rules of etiquette.

So I'll start with a couple first. Let's try to keep this light hearted! :D

A few of my musings:

1. I have noticed over the years when watching some groups come down, many of them bring their large rolling bags right onto the dive boats. I can tell you that while these are great for travel, they take up an incredible amount of space on a dive boat. If you can't store your bag under the bench or your seat you should consider buying a mesh bag or backpack to bring your gear aboard. The DMs are way too polite to tell you that you really shouldn't bring your wheeled bag aboard, but I see people doing it all the time. Its really inconvenient to the whole boat as it gives everyone less space to move about.

2. Tipping. These guys work so hard and tips are a HUGE part of their income. Please tip the crew daily. It's rare that you will get the exact same crew (DM, mate and captain) every day and if you wait until the end it's almost a guarantee that someone is not going to get their share. Don't worry about who gets what, just tip the DM in the group you dove with and he/she will put it in the kitty for the whole crew. If you want to do something extra for your DM then offer to take him out to dinner or give him something he can use like a small piece of gear, a t-shirt from your hometown or dive group, etc.

An acceptable tip is around $5.00 USD per tank, so that's $10.00 a day. If they do something extraordinary like fix a piece of gear for you or go down to retrieve one of your weight pockets on the bottom, give them a little something extra. :wink:

Also, remember that the exchange is not 10:1 so if you are paying in pesos adjust accordingly.

3. Even if your All Inclusive trip says "tips included" remember the waiters, bartenders and maids. Tips included is usually a paltry daily amount that is put into a pool and split between ALL the staff. They sure will remember you and go out of their way to take care of you while you are there, doing many extras for you.

4. Yes, you are in Mexico and near the beach, but please remember to wear a coverup or shirt when you go into the grocery store. I've seen a few pictures floating around of shirtless men (tourists) in the bakery section <blech> :shocked2: and I've personally seen girls walking around in their bikinis with balloon hats on with a neon plastic yardarm full of booze from Carlos & Charlies. Yes, really.

OK. That's all I've got for now.

OOH. wait. One more!

5. The rinse buckets on the boat! PLEASE, Pretty Please, pay attention to which one is for cameras and which one is being used for masks. Your mask defogger will make the camera lens fuzzy. This is no bueno! Muy malo! :nope:

6. Don't be shy about asking questions about your gear, buoyancy, weight, air consumption, etc. to the DM. They watch thousands of people diving all the time and can give you some great tips on why you are diving vertical instead of horizontal, why you are using up so much air on the dive and why you can't get your weight right, etc.. I have noticed that they are great about judging how much weight you should be wearing. They want you to ask questions and you can always learn something from them, even if you've been diving for year and years.

Muchas gracias!

Last edited:
Great write-up! :clapping:

Only thing I'd change is that $5/tank tip. 12 years ago it was $5/tank. Please look at $6 - $7 per tank.

Tips included is usually a palsy daily amount that is put into a pool and split between ALL the staff.
I am sure the staff would agree that even a paltry tip beats any palsy. :wink:

Agreed Jax. You can say $5.00 per tank is "12 years ago" but the truth is most are not even tipping that amount, if anything at all.
Especially in the last two years. Tips are waaaay down.
Ask any dive operator. I was trying to set a baseline. I see people tipping $50 pesos tips on a regular basis and that's pitiful.

Vladimir thanks for pointing out that typo! I read my post twice. How did I miss that? hahaha

Last edited:
Uh not sure what the problem is with the last part of number 4, what's wrong with neon cups and balloon hats. So are we going to get into a speedo debate now Jen my dear?

Nice writeup Jen. :thumb: Can you get all of that in your Sig? :D
Agreed Jax. You can say $5.00 per tank is "12 years ago" but the truth is most are not even tipping that amount, if anything at all.
Ask any dive operator. I was trying to set a baseline. I see people tipping $50 pesos tips on a regular basis.

Vladimir thanks for pointing out that typo! I read my post twice. How did I miss that? hahaha
I dislike the American idea that waiters, etc. work for tips to the extent that 15% is expected for their cost of living needs. Employers should pay wages and charge accordingly. It is a standard tho so all I can do is drag my feet I guess, while going with the flow grudgingly. I know that waiters often lose out to cheap tippers. Just don't tell me 20% is minimum, or tip on the total including taxes in the US - grrr! :mad:

Tipping $10 USD or 120 Pesos on a 2 tank trip is more like a nice thanks when good service is received tho, I think - and I'll usually go with $15 as I do get good service usually and often require more than most. :blush:

Ask any dive operator. I was trying to set a baseline. I see people tipping $50 pesos tips on a regular basis.

Wow, that is just sad!! How much of the "tips are way down" do you think is due to the Americans scared off from all the "violence" hyped in the news? Edit: As Europeans are not used to tipping.

We are so blessed in this country - as far as I can tell, NO DM gets paid a decent wage, no matter which country. Can't we all throw a decent tip into the hat? If the DMs / guides are doing their best to make your trip the best, please don't blame the diving, weather, seas, etc. on them - - - The tip if for their performance.

Last edited:
Uh not sure what the problem is with the last part of number 4, what's wrong with neon cups and balloon hats. So are we going to get into a speedo debate now Jen my dear?

Yes, dear Kevin. I've seen your speedo, and it is not debatable! bwahaha

Jax, I don't see how watching the news and violence on TV would have anything to do with tipping. Obviously, these divers made an informed choice to travel to Mexico for their vacation. Why should that have an effect on the way they tip? I know that all the overhype about violence in Mexico affects the amount of travelers coming to the area.
I think that discussion is for a whole other post.

Anyway, my point is:
I dive with these guys on a regular basis and sometimes for weeks at a time. I am usually one of the last people off the boat, debarking with the crew, so I see what people tip and what they are putting in their pocket. I was shocked at how many people tip 50 pesos and some of these are regular clients. Yes, times are tough for everyone, but there is something wrong in our mind-think if you can justify shorting the crew. These are the guys that come after you when you not paying attention and you are at 175 feet on the wall before you know it, or, stay longer for you and get more saturated because you want to do longer, deeper dive. How do you think they feel when the person that is demanding all the extras is the person that doesn't shoe their appreciation?

I do realize that some people wait to tip until the end of the week, but how can they possibly distribute the tips evenly? Even if you have the same dive master every day, the captain and first mate can change. I never forget to tip. Lots of times I also bring snacks and lunch on board for the guys, as well. They really work hard for those tips!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom