Some Musings on Etiquette (Hey what's that) When in Cozumel and Other "Stuff"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I organize trips among our friends. We had 10 for Palau, and 12 for Cozumel last August. We had 23 for Bonaire a year ago March. I am often asked for tip guidance as the organizer of the trip. I usually say "use your heart." But when pressed, I suggest 15%-20% of the dive operation, and suggest the same for restaurant staff and housekeeping. We usually have the same crew and DM's for our stay at SCC, and we don't tip the crew as a whole, but tip individuals.

Tip, don't tip, tip to your heart, do your part... more etiquette: (some is very obvious but there were some professed first-time-boat-divers in this thread)

If you spit in your mask, please do not rinse it in the rinse bucket on the boat!
If you're grabbing a water out of the cooler, try asking around to see if anyone else would like one.
If you're stowing trash, ditto.
Don't leave your kit laying around and expect everyone to walk around it.

Only 2 days to single digits! Yay!

Etiquette related content: Don't rinse your mask in the camera bucket.

As a working DM in Fla, I see it all the time. Sat we made less with the customers in the morning than I did with the only crew trip in the afternoon. Thanks crew, BTW last two time in Coz we tipped very well but also took DM, Capt and family to dinner last night. Luv Coz, will miss it this year.

Some things just aren't worth it Jen. We just need to continue doing the right thing and forget the pot stirrers. I for one am thrilled that you posted these guidelines. I wish I would have read something like this before my first trip there.
You and I know how much those guys deserve the tips. But to each his own. There will always be those who can justify their unwillingness to show their appreciation for the crew by saying that they won't be pressured into tipping (or any one of a million other excuses). They aren't worth the effort IMHO.
See you on the island, amiga. Besos!!

Yes, please consider it at least a somewhat humourous attempt more than anything. I'm not singling anybody out, especially you Don, as you should know, you are my hero!

By-the-way, everyone, the official tip has changed, I just got a tweet from Cozumel and it's not $6.32 anymore, its now $6.29. I think it's tied to the price of oil or maybe taco meat or something, possibly margarita mix maybe?

Everyone please make a notation to the change.

Thanx

PS - I have a nice cozumel tip chart that you can print out and bring with you to Cozumel, it makes it pretty easy to figure out the tip percentage.

View attachment 95660

Last edited:
At the end of the dive, get on the boat and away from the ladder, get out of the way.

It's ok if you forgot your defog, buy some and bring it with you next time.

If you don't know how to work a marine head, ASK

Great point, dmoore19!
I am always surprised to see how many folks don't know NOT put TP in the head. Gross. It does not flush, so use the trash bucket. Por favor. :)

Nice writeup Jen. :thumb: Can you get all of that in your Sig? :D

I dislike the American idea that waiters, etc. work for tips to the extent that 15% is expected for their cost of living needs. Employers should pay wages and charge accordingly. It is a standard tho so all I can do is drag my feet I guess, while going with the flow grudgingly. I know that waiters often lose out to cheap tippers. Just don't tell me 20% is minimum, or tip on the total including taxes in the US - grrr! :mad:

A number of posters have echoed this sentiment, so I would just like to add the counterpoint....if there was not tipping going on, then the only way to have the crew would be for us to be paying about 20 percent more for the boat trip....At least with the tipping method of pay for services, a good crew gets the 20% they deserve, and the bad crew can get 10% or less, depending on how poor their service was.

If you KNOW that a waiter or DM is working for you--providing you service, and that the employer of the business is NOT paying them--that it is up to you....then you must realize that if you want this service, SOMEONE must pay for it. Would you really prefer $25.00 entrees over $15 entrees ? If a full salary is mandated due to customers failing to tip fairly, it will be MORE that a 20 % rise in food or boat prices, due to taxes and health insurance, and the many other costs of salaried employees....Again, this also rewards the lousy service equally with the exceptional service!

Good points Dan. :thumb: The original post was wonderful and I was surprised to see this turned into another tipping thread, but it serves a good purpose. Sadly, when I first started dive travel, I had the idea that $2 was a decent tip. :silly: A reasonable suggestion from another diver helped me be more reasonable...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom