Some Musings on Etiquette (Hey what's that) When in Cozumel and Other "Stuff"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, and I'm thinking most 18 year old females are going to look at 40-50+ year old men and say "ick" at best.

Not really. 18 is as legal in Cozumel, whether paid or consensual, as lighting up a cigarette in a outdoor cafe. 12-year-old would have been alarming.

12 year old scotch and 12 year old girls are the same to me. I don't wish to do anything with either. While 18 years old is about right for scotch, the same could not be said for a woman in Cozumel, My demands would be something a little more mature. My children older than 18. Scotch never makes it to 19 at my house.

Last edited:
Yeah, and I'm thinking most 18 year old females are going to look at 40-50+ year old men and say "ick" at best.

Yes, very true. I am a little taken aback by the "at best" part though.:D I'm that old but I don't think I have heard anybody describe me as "ick", but then I don't know too many in the 18 year old range.:idk:

I love this thread...!
bananaskipper.gif

Well the title does say "and other stuff"!

I of course was speaking of 18 Year olds from Cozumel, not Scotland.

It's cool. Post #1 was very helpful and all this other stuff keeps bumping it up on page 1 - better than a sticky as those go ignored.
bananaskier.gif

I hope my bats come back...

bat.gif

Well everyone knows if you want to attract an 18 year old, you have to smoke cuz it looks cool..... And dont waste the good scotch on them.:rofl3::rofl3:

And speaking of paid or consensual, I really want to go to a cantina and watch that 'process.' As a rural boy, I think it would be cool to watch, not participate, just watch.:dropmouth::dropmouth: Maybe Don would show me one of those places.

And Dmoore, you keep tellin' yourself that.... :dance2:

Well that is my point. If the restaurant owners allowed it and it wasnt hurting their business, so what? There are so many evils out there, where would you stop. Most drunks are coming from bars and restaurants. You know if made them quit serving alcohol, we could cut down on highway deaths in a big way. And portion size! Lets face it, many places serve way too much. It is unhealthy. People are fat in the US. Lets regulate that down. So many good ways to protect us from doing dangerous things. Soon we can be really safe and not have to worry about making those decisons ourselves!
The "so what" is that smoking in a restaurant vastly diminishes the quality of the experience for the patrons who do not smoke, along with many who do, according to some of my smoker friends. With the rest of the things you mention, it's the person who is participating in the activity who suffers the consequences. If you want to kill yourself with tobacco, go ahead, I don't care. Pollute your own air, not mine.

The point is moot, anyway. Smoking indoors virtually everywhere in Austin is now illegal, and hip, hip, hooray for that.

Seriously, I am not bashing smokers. Some of my best friends smoke. Some people whom I loved have also been killed by smoking, and some others are quite a ways down that road. I don't think that smoking is a very smart thing to do, but I do stupid things from time to time, too, so who am I to say? :D

The "so what" is that smoking in a restaurant vastly diminishes the quality of the experience for the patrons who do not smoke, along with many who do, according to some of my smoker friends. With the rest of the things you mention, it's the person who is participating in the activity who suffers the consequences. If you want to kill yourself with tobacco, go ahead, I don't care. Pollute your own air, not mine.

The point is moot, anyway. Smoking indoors virtually everywhere in Austin is now illegal, and hip, hip, hooray for that.

Seriously, I am not bashing smokers. Some of my best friends smoke. Some people whom I loved have also been killed by smoking, and some others are quite a ways down that road. I don't think that smoking is a very smart thing to do, but I do stupid things from time to time, too, so who am I to say? :D

I beg to differ slightly. I have seen much more immediate harm to people other than themselves, including death, brought on within minutes of drinking in restaurants. Should that be outlawed that next? (Or did we do that?) Of course not, because the majority is ok with drinking still. (or again?) My point was if those who are bothered chose to not enter a 'smoking' restaurant then the owner would have to make a decision on what he wanted to do. Apparently it didn't diminish the experience enough to change individual habits, just enough to pass a law. I just think you own the restaurant, you should be able to choose. I don't think smoking is a good idea either. I quit years ago. I am just into personal responsibility. I mean people went to restaurants that allowed smoking time and time again. It wasnt dangerous enough for them to NOT go there, but it was dangerous enough for another law. Let's talk about the stupid thing you do do and see if we should outlaw them. I mean if you were required to eat at a certain restaurant, sure you shouldn't have to put up with smoke but that isnt the case. I just don't like the idea of passing laws for everything.

Now on the other hand there should be a law against El Moro's magaritas. They are TOO good to be legal......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom