Some Musings on Etiquette (Hey what's that) When in Cozumel and Other "Stuff"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The restaurant smoking ban is a regulation I can live with. Austin tried letting the restaurant owners decide, but they all decided to allow it so as not to exclude smokers and be the only ones who did. Then they tried "smoking sections", which was, as a comedian I heard say once, like having "peeing" and "non peeing" sections in a swimming pool. When they finally passed the ordinance, there was a mild reaction that went away pretty quickly. With bars, the reaction was a little stronger, but that went away as well, and no one's business suffered in the long run because everyone had to make the change.

Well that is my point. If the restaurant owners allowed it and it wasnt hurting their business, so what? There are so many evils out there, where would you stop. Most drunks are coming from bars and restaurants. You know if made them quit serving alcohol, we could cut down on highway deaths in a big way. And portion size! Lets face it, many places serve way too much. It is unhealthy. People are fat in the US. Lets regulate that down. So many good ways to protect us from doing dangerous things. Soon we can be really safe and not have to worry about making those decisons ourselves!

Asparagus makes my urine smell really bad.

I think that was a great way to get us back on topic Doug. Never eat asparagus on a dive trip if you pee in your wetsuit!

Could you mail me one of those? We have a few mossies here....
So you want to have the only bilingual bat in PA? Get a pair from Gordy as his are used to flying around people; they live in their bridges and scour their parking lots there. Mine are a bit shy.

I remember back when I was active in Mensa, a member in Massachusetts wrote to me wanting to get started in a cattle hobby business and order a pair from me. I guess it seemed like going to the roots? He was very specific in what he wanted and I replied politely...
Explaining that there were books and maybe courses at colleges on how to raise cattle if he could not work with some experience beef cattlemen there.

That Santa Gertrudis may not be a good starter breed as they can be quite lively in nature unless hand raised from calves, but were more compatible with hot areas and didn't do well in cold climates.

That he really wanted to look closer as the shipping costs of two head that far would be prohibitive.

And I explained that the "steers" he requested would not reproduce and why.​
Never heard from him again...

Banning smoking in restaurants and bars did not hurt business. It just made it much more pleasant to go out and have dinner or meet friends for a drink. In Cozumel, alot of the dining is done outdoors which helps with the smoke and stench. It still does not excuse the selfish smoker who does not care that their nasty habit totally affects the quality of the shared space and the people that are surrounding them.

:popcorn:Point being, allowing smoking didn't have an effect on business either, so either people didn't care about smoking enough to NOT visit that bar, but they would be ok with a law to change someone else or now the smokers aren't coming and the non-smokers are. If business got better, you could get rid of the law and few would go back to allowing it. I like the Coz model, someone annoys you and the waiter tries to fix it. The business taking responsibility for the problem and fixing it how they see fit. :thumb: You get to vote on their solution with your patronage. Just for clarity now though, smoking and tipping are the top of the etiquette list now?

Mensa Don? Why am I not surprised? And its pretty quiet here in my little corner of PA so the shy bats should be OK. And I could work on my Spanish. I don't think I want Gordo's city bats with their city ways.... :cowboy:

:popcorn:Point being, allowing smoking didn't have an effect on business either, so either people didn't care about smoking enough to NOT visit that bar, but they would be ok with a law to change someone else or now the smokers aren't coming and the non-smokers are. If business got better, you could get rid of the law and few would go back to allowing it. I like the Coz model, someone annoys you and the waiter tries to fix it. The business taking responsibility for the problem and fixing it how they see fit. :thumb: You get to vote on their solution with your patronage. Just for clarity now though, smoking and tipping are the top of the etiquette list now?

Mensa Don? Why am I not surprised? And its pretty quiet here in my little corner of PA so the shy bats should be OK. And I could work on my Spanish. I don't think I want Gordo's city bats with their city ways.... :cowboy:

Simply because it works!!!
No popcorn...to many calories!!!

Don a Mensa!!!!

Don a Mensa!!!!
Nah, dropped out after I got into Scuba. It was a phase. I keep up with a few old friends from there on FB.

But I was referencing the club started in England, not the Spanish use of the word. :silly:

Having quit smoking some time ago I must say I appreciate the fact that in some states smoking in eating establishments and bars has been made illegal. I don't really appreciate the smell or the smoke.

When in Coz you can mark me down for a Cuban while I am there, now if I could just find a 18 year old Glenfiddich to go with it.:D

I can assure you it won't be on the boat or in a enclosed area like a bar or restaurant though.

Anyone else breathe a small sigh of relief when "now if I could just find a 18 year old" was followed by "Glenfiddich"?

Not really. 18 is as legal in Cozumel, whether paid or consensual, as lighting up a cigarette in a outdoor cafe. 12-year-old would have been alarming.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom