SMS100 vs Nomad XT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello Rob could you post some detail photos of the mods that you have done to your personal Nomad.
I am interested to see what it looks like.
I built mine from the Trans Pac foundation but have yet to change my wing to an XT.
Many have favorites but I like to try them all but end up finding things that drive me crazy.
No offense to anyone but it matters not what rig you use but how well you dive it!
Some are easier to modify than others it is just practical that versatility is a factor that means a lot to me as my rig needs to be able to be flexible for cold water and warm.

Great stuff on rigs guys keep it coming.
We all learn from each other and some times it is easier to listen to those that have been there and done that!
No worries just thoughts.

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

Hello Rob could you post some detail photos of the mods that you have done to your personal Nomad.
I am interested to see what it looks like.
I built mine from the Trans Pac foundation but have yet to change my wing to an XT.
Many have favorites but I like to try them all but end up finding things that drive me crazy.
No offense to anyone but it matters not what rig you use but how well you dive it!
Some are easier to modify than others it is just practical that versatility is a factor that means a lot to me as my rig needs to be able to be flexible for cold water and warm.

Great stuff on rigs guys keep it coming.
We all learn from each other and some times it is easier to listen to those that have been there and done that!
No worries just thoughts.

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

There are several photos of my mods in the My Venture into Sidemount thread. I don't have photos of my most recent mods and it will be a week or so before I can get some since I'm away from home right now. :depressed:

Cam, I created a page on my web site with some of the photos of my mods.

Rig Modifications

I'll take some more photos and add them at the end of the week.

Reactions: Jax
Please could a user of the Hollis SMS100 Dual advise me if it would be suitable to fit a petite lady?

I am about to begin Tec-diving and feel attracted to this set up because of the flexibility with sidemount and twins - after reading the previous post it seems that once people are used to a certain kind of set up weather it be Dive-rite or Hollis both kits seem to do what is expected.

Any help/advise is greatly appretiated :diver:

Please could a user of the Hollis SMS100 Dual advise me if it would be suitable to fit a petite lady?

I am about to begin Tec-diving and feel attracted to this set up because of the flexibility with sidemount and twins - after reading the previous post it seems that once people are used to a certain kind of set up weather it be Dive-rite or Hollis both kits seem to do what is expected.

Any help/advise is greatly appretiated :diver:

Well from my understanding the only thing smaller when ordering smaller sizes in a SM rig is the harness so with that if you are super petite (skinny&short) it may not be the best for you but I am sure there i always ways around things like that.

As far at that system being flexible to run doubles you need to put a hard plate in to keep the rig stable. As I am sure you have read most redesign there rig to better suit SM and those modifications may or may not help if you wanted to run doubles. When making a rig that can do both you usually end up taking away things that make a rig exclusive SM or Doubles.

My advise pick a rig that will be suitable for the type of diving you want to do. Do not go for something because it is an "All In One"...

I also have 2 students debating between SMS 100 and the Nomad. I now have both, and Rob as you said, I am not pushing them in one direction or the other. They can dive them and make their own decision. I have been diving the Hollis and just got the Nomad this weekend, to allow my students and my self to try both. I dove it this weekend and I really like it! But maybe that is because I have had a Transpac since I started diving. Both are great rigs, I think it comes down to personal preference, IMHO.

Thank you for your help lakecountydiver and deepair - I like the idea of an all-in-one because of its flexibility particularly when introducing myself to tec. Saying that I am happy to change the rig to accommodate both setup's: twin and SM but I do see myself going down the SM route because of the ease of moving tanks around particularly when getting on and off the boat.

After reading your replies I have ordered the SMS100 Dual S/M to come in store - enabling me to have a good fitting session. Should it be to large I will see if something can be done in order to tailor it and make it smaller (I'll keep you posted).

Over a drysuit I hope their is not to much of an issue (I am size 6-8) - it will arrive on Thursday and I can't wait :)

Once again thank you :D

Let us know what you think. I am sure that you will be happy with the Hollis. Like I said, they are both awesome BCs.

As far at that system being flexible to run doubles you need to put a hard plate in to keep the rig stable.

Not true. I dive my Nomad with manifolded doubles and they are just as stable as when I used to dive them in a backplate.

As I am sure you have read most redesign there rig to better suit SM and those modifications may or may not help if you wanted to run doubles. When making a rig that can do both you usually end up taking away things that make a rig exclusive SM or Doubles.

While this is true when speaking of a wing for both doubles and singles, it's not necessarily the case with sidemount rigs. IMO, my Nomad is superior to my BP/W for doubles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom