SMB color preference?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*Floater*

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Last week I saw someone blow up two regular SMB's - I don't even think they were CC, just poor quality seams. Anyway it sure made me glad I had a Carter. I'm thinking of getting a second one because it rocks, but I'm told they've discontinued making orange ones. What was wrong with orange? What's the prefered color now? I travel a lot for scuba so I need a color that's okay in most countries. Thanks.

I thing got two colours of SMB "Orange/Yellow with "EMERGENCY" and RED is normal.
I used Two SMB with two different colors..

Colors mean different things in different locales. Some areas there is no specific meaning associated with either color, and in some they have specific meanings, such as what Jason posted above.

Some vendors do seem to be moving towards the yellow. There were some test results published recently that suggested yellow was more readily visible under more conditions to the human eye than the orange color, so that may be influencing the decisions. (Do a search here on SB for the link to the tests... I can't recall which thread but it was in the last couple months.)

CompuDude:
Colors mean different things in different locales. Some areas there is no specific meaning associated with either color, and in some they have specific meanings, such as what Jason posted above.

Some vendors do seem to be moving towards the yellow. There were some test results published recently that suggested yellow was more readily visible under more conditions to the human eye than the orange color, so that may be influencing the decisions. (Do a search here on SB for the link to the tests... I can't recall which thread but it was in the last couple months.)
Yeah
That was a great post. I think it was last year. If I am thinking about the same poster, he tested out different colors and sizes of SMB to see what was most visible.

The results were: Yellow is HUGELY more visible. The only case where orange was more visible in when the dive is on the surface of the water between the sun and the dive boat. In this specific case only, the orange is more visible than the yellow, which blends in with the sun's light on the water.

This is actually the reason that some SMB have two colors, yellow and orange or red, one on each side. Would would usually point the yellow at your dive boat, unless the sun is behind you, then you would turn the orange or red side to your boat. I stock some of these in different sizes. Twisting the SMB, yellow/red/yellow/red, is also really visible as well.

For me, I've decided to carry either the double color, or Yellow only. In some places as described, the Yellow can mean something more serious than the yellow. However, that can be worked out with your boat.

For example in PG doing my IANTD IDC, each dive I briefed the boat tenders on the dive plan, what we will do, when we will surface, etc, and as part of that I would tell them about the SMB I used (Yellow) and any other SMB details, like what time they are likely to expect it to surface and what the signal would be for need O2 or extra tank).

So I really don't see the color being a serious issue as long as it is discussed with the boat and other divers. Orange does look more tech for some reason to me, but the Yellow really kicks butt for being seen, which is the purpose of the tool.

You are right:14:
jagfish:
So I really don't see the color being a serious issue as long as it is discussed with the boat and other divers.

jagfish:
Yeah
That was a great post. I think it was last year. If I am thinking about the same poster, he tested out different colors and sizes of SMB to see what was most visible.

The results were: Yellow is HUGELY more visible. The only case where orange was more visible in when the dive is on the surface of the water between the sun and the dive boat. In this specific case only, the orange is more visible than the yellow, which blends in with the sun's light on the water.

This is actually the reason that some SMB have two colors, yellow and orange or red, one on each side. Would would usually point the yellow at your dive boat, unless the sun is behind you, then you would turn the orange or red side to your boat. I stock some of these in different sizes. Twisting the SMB, yellow/red/yellow/red, is also really visible as well.

For me, I've decided to carry either the double color, or Yellow only. In some places as described, the Yellow can mean something more serious than the yellow. However, that can be worked out with your boat.

For example in PG doing my IANTD IDC, each dive I briefed the boat tenders on the dive plan, what we will do, when we will surface, etc, and as part of that I would tell them about the SMB I used (Yellow) and any other SMB details, like what time they are likely to expect it to surface and what the signal would be for need O2 or extra tank).

So I really don't see the color being a serious issue as long as it is discussed with the boat and other divers. Orange does look more tech for some reason to me, but the Yellow really kicks butt for being seen, which is the purpose of the tool.

I was involved in that discussion. We did some extensive testing in the Dry Tortugas. We concluded that in order to be perfectly safe in almost all lighting conditions, you needed two colors............so, I had these custom made............

Carter 110 Pound Personal Float - Dual Color - Large Diameter

Anyway, hope this helps. Thanks.

Phil Ellis

In the UK, I think red/orange are the preferred colours for normal use. Sending up a yellow SMB or bag is taken to indicate some kind of underwater problem is underway. I don't know if this convention is carried on in the rest of Europe.

Speedhound,

I think using the two different colors for different situations is a good idea.

I hope this will spread to the U.S.

the K

PhilEllis:
I was involved in that discussion. We did some extensive testing in the Dry Tortugas. We concluded that in order to be perfectly safe in almost all lighting conditions, you needed two colors............so, I had these custom made............

Carter 110 Pound Personal Float - Dual Color - Large Diameter

Anyway, hope this helps. Thanks.

Phil Ellis
Hi Phil
Thanks for chiming in...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom