Slates - ten reasons why we don't use them

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well thanks. Fishies and the occasional complex notion that's too difficult to convey with hands and toes :) seems about it.

It's interesting though that complex language doesn't appear to be that valuable underwater for this activity as a trade-off against the inconvenience. I guess as Rhone Man says, there are few things gesticulating wildly and angrily won't solve :)

I'm still going to look at playing around with it for more conversational reasons and see if it'll take. My suspicion from posts here are that it won't.

Anyone had any other experiences where it proved invaluable, either in an emergency, in diverting one, or where it added lots of value to the dive.

Cheers,
J

At first I thought that this was a great idea, but then I wondered, why wouldn't you just shake or nod your head instead of pointing to the relevant section on your slate?

night diving.

On the grocery list, or the diary?

The diary of course. Since I don't keep one. :D Now a grocery list reminding me to get butter for the lobster or blackening seasoning for the fish now that is mighty fine idea. Heck now I might need two slates! :doh:

Well thanks. Fishies and the occasional complex notion that's too difficult to convey with hands and toes :) seems about it.

It's interesting though that complex language doesn't appear to be that valuable underwater for this activity as a trade-off against the inconvenience. I guess as Rhone Man says, there are few things gesticulating wildly and angrily won't solve :)

I'm still going to look at playing around with it for more conversational reasons and see if it'll take. My suspicion from posts here are that it won't.

Anyone had any other experiences where it proved invaluable, either in an emergency, in diverting one, or where it added lots of value to the dive.

Cheers,
J

Mmm, the only time I can think of is when some other divers looked sort of lost. I wrote them the compass reading for the boat...

I mostly spear fish, which means my buddy is prolly somewhere in the area. maybe I'll see him sometime during the dive. a slate mostly doesn't do anything for me as there isn't anyone else to read it, LOL

Dear Diary,
Today I dove with a new buddy. I wonder if they like me?

But do they like me, or do they LIKE ME like me?

:rofl3:

Just as an aside, how long do you suppose it will be until some company develops underwater text messaging for those folks so addicted to texting that they can't go more than a few minutes without sending a message to their friends?

I suppose if you have the Verizon network following you around on a dive, the shark will have plenty of choices for someone to munch besides you.

:sharkattack:

I was just about to say...how long before someone invents a waterproof crackberry-like messaging device to replace the slate. Hey, I just did!

Back
Top Bottom