Slates - ten reasons why we don't use them

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I write down names of dive sites mostly. My slate is small and tucks behind my weight pocket on my BC.

I carry a slate in a pocket, for those rare instances when it is needed (white balancing my vid cam, marking key features on a wreck ...). One of the best things about being underwater is not having to talk (write).

My multi-leaf wrist slate goes w/ me on almost every dive, but I almost never use it for communication w/ others. I typically have turn pressures, tables, and contingency plans written on pages 1/2 and emergency contact info plus the combo to my truck written on page 3. Most of my diving is cave diving.

It's much faster to use hand signals for communication in almost all dive comnmunication (normal or emergency).

John

#1 reason I wouldn't dive with one is because it's one more item to clean or dry.

however with that said I am trying this year to carry my wet notes on every dive thanks to Steve Bogaerts dishing out handy tips on another forum. I added a grommet to a dive rite 2 zipper pocket and added a bolt snap to it. I can easilly store arrows, wet notes, shears, double ended snaps, jump spools, and my car keys on a leash in the pocket and clip it off to my butt D ring next to my primary reel. everything is out of the way yet easy to get. It looks like I have a tail on land but it works so who cares?

Back in the day, I would write the adjusted NDLs for all depths on my slate. I could look at the slate, my depth gauge and my bottom timer and decide when it was time to head back. These days most everyone uses a computer. But there was a time before computers...

My slate was about 5"x6" and fit easily in my BC pocket. Of course, this was LONG before weight integration and pockets had storage capacity.

Today my slate stays at home.

Richard

I find gesticulating wildly and in a bad-tempered way a much better way to get my point across.

My wife will not dive without one---she HATES my UW 'signals' & learned almost 25 years to carry one--or @ least she makes me carry one(for her)............

Always have my wrist slate and wetnotes with back up tables in pocket. And use the wrist one for times, pressures, etc. As an instructor I'm required to have one when diving with students. When just diving for fun use it for some communication but mostly to update my dive site maps as people keep moving stuff around!

I use my wrist mounted slate for most dives, more for dive notes and to recored and chart my wheel use

Back
Top Bottom