Question Should you overfill lp tanks without a + stamp?

Should you overfill lp tanks without a + stamp?

• Pump Em Up!

Votes: 47 63.5%
  • Slightly Pumped (>3k)

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • Never over working pressure!

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • Pay for another hydro to get the + stamp

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've mentioned it on here before, but after having a tank fail hydro I did some investigating. Turns out all the local shops use the same hydro place and they don't know wtf they're doing when it comes to galvanized tanks. I called the LDS and asked him how often do steel tanks fail.. he said "here and there". That's a far cry from @Tracy and his 2 in 1000. Makes you wonder...
The number of galvanized tanks, especially exemption tanks, failing hydro due to bad (ie skipped) pre-test protocols vastly dwarfs the number of 3AA tanks failing due to cave fills - by many orders of magnitude.

LOL.... may he rest in peace.

I've mentioned it on here before, but after having a tank fail hydro I did some investigating. Turns out all the local shops use the same hydro place and they don't know wtf they're doing when it comes to galvanized tanks. I called the LDS and asked him how often do steel tanks fail.. he said "here and there". That's a far cry from @Tracy and his 2 in 1000. Makes you wonder...
I had a lp85 fail hydro because they didn't do the pretest on it.
It had never been hydroed before. Nor left with a cave fill on it.

Id rather drop off my steel tanks at the hydro, with 5000 in them.

Prestretched.

The scuba industry needs to get their stuff together. Hydro tanks in house,.

I had a lp85 fail hydro because they didn't do the pretest on it.
It had never been hydroed before. Nor left with a cave fill on it.
That is most likely why, new galvanized tanks are the ones that fail without a pretest. The worthingtons with the really heavy galvanizing were the worst for it.
An older tank with lots of cycles usually never requires it.
Never really played with it, but based on experience, a history of cave fills would probably make that issue go away.

I regularly get a cave fill for my tanks. 2400 psi is usually my turn pressure.

Ultimately, your tanks are your tanks. If a cave fill makes you nervous, don't do it.

Can anyone point me towards a hydro testing company that does the + testing in the Central NJ area +/- a few hundred miles? I have 4 LP tanks that have gotten almost no use for the past 10 years or so and may have about 15 or 20 fill cycles tops, although I have kept them in hydro and VIP for the most part out of the hope that "this dive season would be different." With the kid now 13 and certified, I've been starting to dust off the old gear --so this season is the one that seems to actually be different.

I hadn't cared (or even thought about the + it at all) until the last VIP at a new shop when they would only fill to 2400 (and were short even up to that) with the Hydro only mark. At this point most of my local shops have all closed and so now there aren't many close options to me...so kind of stuck with the pressure Karens. No prior shop has even thought to ask for the + and the last few hydros didn't put them on. I've been calling around the hydro shops but it takes forever by the time the receptionist finds "Charlie" who may know if they do the test ... until finally "Charlie" says they didn't bother getting the cert. they needed to do it blah blah.

These tanks are PITA given they are so much bigger and heavier than an AL80--but an extra 24 or 40 cu ft. of air used to be worth the effort. But if it is only a few extra cu ft. over my 80s, then dealing with these behemoths isn't worth it to me and I'd rather sell them to some lucky cave diver in FL who will make better use of them if I can't get a + and a decent fill.

Can anyone point me towards a hydro testing company that does the + testing in the Central NJ area +/- a few hundred miles? I have 4 LP tanks that have gotten almost no use for the past 10 years or so and may have about 15 or 20 fill cycles tops, although I have kept them in hydro and VIP for the most part out of the hope that "this dive season would be different." With the kid now 13 and certified, I've been starting to dust off the old gear --so this season is the one that seems to actually be different.

I hadn't cared (or even thought about the + it at all) until the last VIP at a new shop when they would only fill to 2400 (and were short even up to that) with the Hydro only mark. At this point most of my local shops have all closed and so now there aren't many close options to me...so kind of stuck with the pressure Karens. No prior shop has even thought to ask for the + and the last few hydros didn't put them on. I've been calling around the hydro shops but it takes forever by the time the receptionist finds "Charlie" who may know if they do the test ... until finally "Charlie" says they didn't bother getting the cert. they needed to do it blah blah.

These tanks are PITA given they are so much bigger and heavier than an AL80--but an extra 24 or 40 cu ft. of air used to be worth the effort. But if it is only a few extra cu ft. over my 80s, then dealing with these behemoths isn't worth it to me and I'd rather sell them to some lucky cave diver in FL who will make better use of them if I can't get a + and a decent fill.
Indian Valley Scuba in Harleysville, PA does a great job with hydro testing. They should be able to take care of it. Should be within your range. Hit the Harleysville Hotel for wings.... just sayin.

Do they have the REE stamped on the crowns?
If yes a + is easy
If no then forget it, not going to realistically happen

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom