"accidentally" overfilled LP tank - Replace Burst Disc?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A few weeks later I dropped the tanks off at Cave Adventurers in Marianna, Florida, and then left to take care of some errands. When I returned, the shop looked like it had gone through some kind of disaster. "What happened?" I asked. Well, it turns out the guy who "fixed" my burst disk in south Florida had replaced the high pressure one I had installed with a standard low pressure one.

I am sure the people who were at Cave Adventurers that day will remember that day for a very long time.

the shop “gone through some kind of disaster” for a single burst disk failure?

the shop “gone through some kind of disaster” for a single burst disk failure?
You'd be surprised.

A few years ago I was doing a deco dive with my double LP 108s in south Florida, and when I picked up my tanks, the guy who did the fills said he had detected a very slight leak from one of my burst disks, and he had fixed it. I didn't give it a lot of thought, assuming he had put a wrench to it and given it a bit of a snugging. The tanks were filled to normal rated pressure, as I expected.

A few weeks later I dropped the tanks off at Cave Adventurers in Marianna, Florida, and then left to take care of some errands. When I returned, the shop looked like it had gone through some kind of disaster. "What happened?" I asked. Well, it turns out the guy who "fixed" my burst disk in south Florida had replaced the high pressure one I had installed with a standard low pressure one.

I am sure the people who were at Cave Adventurers that day will remember that day for a very long time.
I cringe at the thought...

That you were getting a trimix fill.

A few years ago I was doing a deco dive with my double LP 108s in south Florida, and when I picked up my tanks, the guy who did the fills said he had detected a very slight leak from one of my burst disks, and he had fixed it. I didn't give it a lot of thought, assuming he had put a wrench to it and given it a bit of a snugging. The tanks were filled to normal rated pressure, as I expected.

I am sure the people who were at Cave Adventurers that day will remember that day for a very long t
Doubtful. With the volume of tourist divers coming through cave country with their own tanks. Burst discs are a weekly if not daily occurrence.
While annoying, it happens a lot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom