"accidentally" overfilled LP tank - Replace Burst Disc?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

98TJ10

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Took a low pressure tank in to be filled and they "accidentally filled it to ~3300psi (with a 4k burst disc in the valve). I noticed the overfill when I got home and drained it down to a more reasonable 2600 but my concern now is if the burst disc is compromised/more likely to burst given how close it was to its 3600psi burst rate? Valve/disc is practically new. If it were to go, is it a noise nuisance or will it spin out of control? I've heard mixed reports.

Yes, you probably need to have the burst disc changed.
The disc will fail in the next dozen fills if they continue to fill them to 3300.
The tank and valve are fine. There wasn't any reason to drain off the extra pressure.
If you continue to use that shop, have them change the disc to one that matches their fill pressure.

My intent going forward is to make sure they only fill it to 2640. Think 1 heavy fill compromised the disc enough to worry?

@NaughtyDogDiving - correct me if i'm wrong but 3600psi is the burst pressure of a 4k disc (90% of rating).

Took a low pressure tank in to be filled and they "accidentally filled it to ~3300psi (with a 4k burst disc in the valve). I noticed the overfill when I got home and drained it down to a more reasonable 2600 but my concern now is if the burst disc is compromised/more likely to burst given how close it was to its 3600psi burst rate? Valve/disc is practically new. If it were to go, is it a noise nuisance or will it spin out of control? I've heard mixed reports.
Why did you drain it down? No need to. Like Tracy said it may fail after the next dozen fills. Or it may not after the next 50. If they are going to keep doing that, put 5k discs in and buy them a box of donuts the next time you go in.
3300 in an LP steel? That's my normal fill.
For deep and wrecks? 3500-3600.
As for if it goes? noise. Unless you are in a pool. Then you can dip the valve just under the water and it will make snow!

My intent going forward is to make sure they only fill it to 2640. Think 1 heavy fill compromised the disc enough to worry?

@NaughtyDogDiving - correct me if i'm wrong but 3600psi is the burst pressure of a 4k disc (90% of rating).

WHY would you want less gas? Like others have said, switch to a 5k burst disk and be happy.

You don’t want the extra gas? You’ll be the odd one out on that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom