Question Should you overfill lp tanks without a + stamp?

Should you overfill lp tanks without a + stamp?

• Pump Em Up!

Votes: 47 63.5%
  • Slightly Pumped (>3k)

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • Never over working pressure!

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • Pay for another hydro to get the + stamp

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharknutz

Registered
Reaction score
Question: Would you overfill lp tanks (85's, 95's, etc) if it didn't have a + stamp?

Let's assume for the sake of the discussion the tank has a burst disk capable of whatever pressure you're filling to.

Edit: pump it up referring to a N FL cave fill of 3k +

You are going to have to define "overfill."

Do you mean to the plus rated pressure (2650) or to a cave fill of 3K+?

ETA: nevermind, I see you have that as an option!

I don't overfill, but remember someone I knew who posted on FB a picture of his spg showing 3800 psi on an LP tank. Way to invalidate any dive insurance bud!

From a "by the book" interpretation, no. Fill to rated pressure only. In a real world scenario - my lawyers have advised me to not answer the question.

From a "by the book" interpretation, no. Fill to rated pressure only. In a real world scenario - my lawyers have advised me to not answer the question.
Smart man, I'll caveat this is purely a thought experiment/discussion and by no means advice for anyone to overfill a LP tank beyond it's rated pressure.

I voted for "slightly pumped"...... As for the post above about someone pumping to 3800.......I'd say that's his or her business as long as they have their own compressor, live all alone in the woods, don't have a dog, etc......and never take that tank anywhere near another person unless that person knows about it and is cool with it.

Just curious....... why is overfilling a tank called a "cave fill"?

If it didn’t earn the + rating, I wouldn’t like that.

With the + rating I’ll overfill to normal cave diving pressures and not give it a second thought. Thousands and thousands of tanks are overfilled annually and it’s fine. If this was a problem, it would be known by now.

3300 - 3600 all day long. Just depends on what dive I'm doing.

If it didn’t earn the + rating, I wouldn’t like that.

With the + rating I’ll overfill to normal cave diving pressures and not give it a second thought. Thousands and thousands of tanks are overfilled annually and it’s fine. If this was a problem, it would be known by now.
The plus rating is only good for 240 psi though? My hydro place did not give me the +, but the papers that I got back clearly show that it could have gotten it. I just didn't ask, and they didn't do.

I just can't imagine a tank would physically pass for 2400psi but fail for 2640?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom