Should I grab these HP100s?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You don’t have to wait. I got OW/drysuit certified at the same time. It seems to be pretty common in the PNW, the UK, and norther Europe.

I know others who did it when pretty new.

I think I'll do that next season. I have a big dive trip in May where I'll be getting my AOW, and I want to get as much wetsuit diving in as possible.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I should just be patient. It's tough, I'm just starting out and there are so many toys!

Be patient. The right deals pop up if you wait long enough. I've been lucky enough to get three full sets of doubles, I don't have more than $400 invested in any of them. Some have been gracious sellers who really gave me a deal, some have taken some more work. I got 2 of the older HP100s with 7/8 necks for $80 a tank recently, but it was a challenge finding a manifold. Once I found the right manifold it was one that only a certain set of bands would work with. Took some work but I'm diving them now.

@rob.mwpropane I have the tank valve bend on the top due to some kind of trauma to it. I don't know how it happened. I take care of my tanks but in this case I noticed the valve is malformed. The DIN will not screw into it.

@rob.mwpropane I have the tank valve bend on the top due to some kind of trauma to it. I don't know how it happened. I take care of my tanks but in this case I noticed the valve is malformed. The DIN will not screw into it.

That stinks. I'm so careful with mine, but I'm sure something will happen one day.

That’s why you either keep the DIN inserts in on convertible valves or DIN plugs.
Yeah 300 bar DINs are so deep that the slightest out of roundness means the reg won't screw on.

Because 7/8" necks are always 300 bar and expensive to replace, your best bet is to keep a stainless steel DIN plug in there to prevent it from going out of round.

Never use plastic DIN plugs, you are better off with a bare valve.

I would not get those, the neck sizing is obsolete.

The neck sizing is not obsolete, at this time no one is making tanks with 3500# over service pressure, once they do the 7/8 thread is required by DOT. As @Brian G said, valves are available, but not cheap because there is a limited market at this time.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom