Should I grab these HP100s?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skl007

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
New diver here and getting tired of renting tanks for local diving. I did some reading here and my impression is that steel is bulletproof as long as it's been hydro'd. Think I should get these? Pricing fair?

Steel 100cff 3500psi Scuba Tanks

i have a pair of similar tanks. they have a good tank factor and buoyancy, but you have to be aware you need a 300 bar din reg for them and the 7/8 manifold if you try to double them later on is harder to get. at least rebuild parts are somewhat available for the sherwood valves again.

i have a pair of similar tanks. they have a good tank factor and buoyancy, but you have to be aware you need a 300 bar din reg for them and the 7/8 manifold if you try to double them later on is harder to get. at least rebuild parts are somewhat available for the sherwood valves again.

No plans to double up, just going to use them as single tanks. I have a DIN regulator so I should be good. Any feedback on pricing? I honestly have no idea what used tanks should go for, it's nice that they were hydro'd just a few months ago though.

Which din regs do you have? Not all will do 300 bar. Those are older 300 bar valves. I have some they are deeper (more threads) a non 300 bar din 1st wont screw in deep enough to seat the o ring. Those look like good PST tanks, I have some of them in HP80's with the same valves. They are not the standard 3/4 neck thread they only take older 7/8 thread valves which as I noted are ONLY 300 bar so there are no inserts available to convert to yoke just so you are aware if you wanted that flexibility. $175-225 for HP100's with a fresh hydro is about right from the ads I have seen. Be aware that PST tanks have a special bulletin for hydro when they are due. Make sure the hydro facility you use or you shop uses will follow it or they could fail hydro.

IMHO they are priced too high. I wouldn't pay more than $375 for a pair.

Not outrageously high of course, but I would try to offer less, or wait for a better deal.

The manifold will be the hard part to find if you plan on doubling them up. I had a hard time finding manifold for 7/8 neck tanks recently, finally found one at North East Scuba Supply for I believe less than $100. There is only one manifold currently being made for that style tank and it is something like $325 new.

The manifold will be the hard part to find if you plan on doubling them up. I had a hard time finding manifold for 7/8 neck tanks recently, finally found one at North East Scuba Supply for I believe less than $100. There is only one manifold currently being made for that style tank and it is something like $325 new.

OP only plans to use them in single cylinder diving

I just got a pair of hp100 XS Scuba (so Worthington) 3442 psi born 2014 for $350 for the set. That was with fresh hydro and vip. They even have the fancy vindicator valves on them with converter inserts.

I'm sure there's better deals out there, but that's what I was willing to pay.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom