Should an instructor or agency be able to decertify divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara:
You gave your professional opinion. You offered him a service. He declined. You did your job for both the client and the store. The rest is his business...maybe not his alone but certainly not yours or an agencies.
That's for sure, otherwise I would have had to wrassle him to the ground and pound some sense into his durn fool noggin'!

I don't want to make it my business and I'm mostly content to let nature decide when it's time to filter some detritus out of the gene pool but occasionally I have qualms about the stain I put on my soul when I enable the feeble-minded in their efforts to self-delete. Sometimes I get weak that way.

His wife-to-be was pretty cute, though. She might have collected some insurance money and be looking for someone to help her spend it...of course if I follow up on that thought, my wife will likely become a widow, too. :D

A question: If it's good/okay to require divers to obtain certification of their skills at least once in their lives, how is it a wrong thing to periodically require them to recertify?

123Scuba.com:
Decertify? NO... I agree it's a slippery slope - But what about certifications that expire if go unused (or would that be undove?) Essentially, mandatory refreshers for inactivity...

I agree with this. I took 9 years off and though swam a lot, I didn't get to dive. I took a refresher course where I live now and then went 700 miles back home to dive with my original instructor to get some shallow dives in. I am glad I did it and I think everyone should have to do something after sitting still for a long time. The question is how long?

On the other hand,

What about the diver who doesn't get it as fast as the next one !!!

The skills you have developped after 50 dives can take the next diver 75 dives !!!!

If we " exclude " that particular diver, where will he/she earn his/her skills ... in his/her bathtub !!!

Practice makes perfect .... and by diving with more experienced divers, he/she "should" be improving ??

Wow... I can't even believe someone had the audacity to even bring this up... Would instructors now have to wear a Scuba Police badge and issue tickets at popular dive sites?

Who would set these standards and requirement? Would this just be in regard to skill, or actions that other people disagree with? (I've had someone here tell me I shouldn't be an Instructor because I don't agree with no-touch)

I find that some people on this board think WAY too highly of themselves and think they are out there to save the world.

fishb0y:
Wow... I can't even believe someone had the audacity to even bring this up... Would instructors now have to wear a Scuba Police badge and issue tickets at popular dive sites?

Who would set these standards and requirement? Would this just be in regard to skill, or actions that other people disagree with? (I've had someone here tell me I shouldn't be an Instructor because I don't agree with no-touch)

I find that some people on this board think WAY too highly of themselves and think they are out there to save the world.

You're just mad 'cause I wrote you a ticket the other day for wearing gloves while diving...

Scuba and Dream:
You're just mad 'cause I wrote you a ticket the other day for wearing gloves while diving...

..... and who says Scuba Diving Police doesn't exist !!!!:huh:

I can probably count on one hand how many times I've been asked for my c-card in the past year. This includes air fills, nitrox fills, and boat dives. If the industry, for the most part, doesn't care enough to check certs, then why would they care to pull certs?

shark_tamer:
..... and who says Scuba Diving Police doesn't exist !!!!:huh:
Actually it was for the booties...

Dive-aholic:
No. The focus should be on making sure new divers are good divers. The solution is to fix the problem not start yanking certs.

I think instead of yanking certs we should just make all crappy divers ride the slow cattle boats and reserve the fast 6 packs for all the good divers. Segregation! :D
I like slow cattle boats, I didn't know I was a crappy diver.

I have the perfect solution. Lets get the government to start a tax payers funded crappy diver offenders list. When ever a diver makes a violation (mask on forhead, hose too short, poodle jacket bc, cattleboat diving, barfing over windward rail, etc.) He will be arrested by the dive police and his or her name will be placed on a public database. There is no better deturent than public humiliation.

Back
Top Bottom