Short list of essential tools?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt S.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am not trying to prepare a full save-a-dive kit* at the moment, but I do want to get the most essential tools for simple tasks like changing out hoses and o-rings so I can keep them all in one place with the rest of the gear. What are the essentials, like you'd find on one of those multi-tools?

Actually, here's one of the tools...
http://www.diveriteexpress.com/tools/scubatool.shtml

Open End Wrenches: 1/2", 9/16", 5/8", 11/16", 15mm
Hex Keys: 7/64", 1/8"
Screwdrivers: Phillips #1, Flat 1/8", Flat 3/16"

What size hex tool do you need for a DIN/yoke valve adapter?

Any other essentials missing?

* The SAD kits I see posted look more like LDSs... :)

Here is my 2psi grab your gear and go to your shop and find the tools yhat fit anything you might need to repair then you will not have all the excess those multi tools are designed to incompass most equipment so there are things on there that wont fit your gear:D

An O-ring pick smaller then the one on the tool, think dental pick size

A small adjustable wrench to use as a back-up wrench when tightening or loosening a fitting

A dental pick for o-rings.

An adjustable wrench for taking hoses on and off.

A set of Allen wrenches for port plugs, DIN/yoke valve fittings, etc.

I bought a Scuba tool, but found it awkward to manage, and it rusted horribly very quickly.

The tools I use a lot, and spare cave line and bungie I use, and zipties, and spare bolt snaps. And O-rings for DIN regulators, which seem to spit them out regularly. I have a lot of other stuff in my SAD kit, but those are the things I've used so far. Everything fits in a 9.95 tool box from Home Depot.

While I agree with everything, I think that a dental pick is not a good tool. I've seen many people scratch their valves trying to pick an o-ring out, which leads to rusting. I prefer to use a wooden toothpick, or even better a plastic toothpick. You can also use a brass pick as it will not scratch as a stainless steel would

Duct tape for valve and hose repairs and patching leaky bladders:)

Good thread and great suggestions. I use these:
1. deactivated credit card to remove O-rings
2. blunt scalpel for removing sand from inflator (I agree plastic is better)
3. zip ties (several sizes and lengths) and something to cut them (pliers or old nail clipper)
4. adjustable wrench (in place of too many wrenches) and multi hex wrench tool w/ screwdrivers
5. 1-2 feet of bungle cord to secure stuff (can be cut down to size)
6. A few brass clips (single and double ends)
7. Silicone and Christolube
8. alcohol wipes (for removing grease, cleaning minor cuts)

Dive safely.

I keep forgetting, is the bottle opener in the save-a-dive kit or the first aid kit?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom