Short list of essential tools?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The pointy end of a zip-tie works pretty good for digging out an O-ring, and it won't hurt the valve. I hate multi-tools, and since you have to carry so much heavy stuff anyway, why not just get real wrenches?

A couple other things to include:

ip gauge to check to make sure your first stage is working correctly, and not in need of service.

a pair of spanner wrenches to open up your first stage, to give a tune up.

Though I know it has been mentioned, but get the complete set of allen wrenches (both metric and imperial), they are pretty cheap at Home Depot - and oddly enough some regulators, for instance, are both metric and imperial for different components.

I actually prefer the box ended wrenches for some applications (Home Depot usually sells box end / opened end combination wrenches) - a pair of half inch wrenches for adjusting the bolt kits on double tank bands, a 3/4 inch for when I need to rent yoke tanks on holiday and switch my din connection to yoke (you got to get that really snug or it will leak and drive you batty from the sound of bubbles, and a 1 inch for removing those stainless steel DIN plugs, which have saved my gas many times (I guess an adjustable wrench would work for that application, though you need a pretty big one). - Kirk

--tom--:
I keep forgetting, is the bottle opener in the save-a-dive kit or the first aid kit?

It goes on a bungeed necklace....right next to your spare beer.:D

What I don't see here is that if go to a boating store you can buy stainless steel adjustable wrenches. The cost for the SS makes up for all the cleaning you have to do with rusty cheep wrenches. I carry a 4" stainless steel crescent, a set of allen wrenches, a wide verity of O-rings, an ink pen, silicon grease and a regulator adjustment kit from Kirby Morgan.

--tom--:
I keep forgetting, is the bottle opener in the save-a-dive kit or the first aid kit?

thats what those new reef flip flops are for the bottle opener is intigrated:D

--tom--:
It goes in both!

My short list:
q-tips/lube
screwdrivers
razor knife/box cutter
lighter
spare port plugs
a pair of 6' cresent wrenches and a 10' one
open end/box end combo- various sizes
metric and imperial hex set
zip ties
various o-rings
a set of picks
a small flashlight for working in the dark
IP pressure guage
duct tape (mostly for MOD marking and tank analysis- I don't think I've ever fixed anything with it)
spare cave line (short leftovers, not for restringing a reel) and bungee of various sizes
various odds and ends that I've collected- spare triglides, d-rings, bolt snaps, etc.

I don't carry spare parts like SPGs or hoses- just tools to adjust or fix things.

Wow, I really want to see a ten foot crescent wrench. Who lifts it?

TSandM:
Wow, I really want to see a ten foot crescent wrench. Who lifts it?
I had to get rid of those since they wouldn't fit in my tool box. The ones I have now are about 1/12 the size. :D

the 2 6 foot wrenches would also be a sight to see...guess if you lose your weight you have some back up then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom