Shore diving question...booties?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been wearing the same booties on Bonaire for 4 years and they still have life left in them... They have a molded rubber bottom and a chain like pattern on the sole.. I like that I can feel what I'm walking on... Everyone needs to find what works best for them.. But, you need a sole that will give you the protection from cuts..

Jim..

You guys are scaring me. I am headed to Bonaire in June. I have open healed fins with dive booties (not so sturdy rubber soles). I put on a pair of very low profile crossfit shoes to simulate some of the thick soled shoes discussed above. The shoes do not fit in my fins very well (there is plenty of room with my dive booties). Do other folks dive with "regular booties" or buy a pair of "bonaire shoes and fins"?

Agree completely with Kharon. Anything other than hard sole boots is a danger if you are going to dive anything other than house reefs and a few elected beach entries. I learned my lesson.

You guys are scaring me. I am headed to Bonaire in June. I have open healed fins with dive booties (not so sturdy rubber soles). I put on a pair of very low profile crossfit shoes to simulate some of the thick soled shoes discussed above. The shoes do not fit in my fins very well (there is plenty of room with my dive booties). Do other folks dive with "regular booties" or buy a pair of "bonaire shoes and fins"?

Nothing to be scared of with the right equipment. Heed the advice of those replying here. You will see when you go that most everyone is wearing hard soles, and for good reason. A twisted ankle or wipe out is no fun. Nor is missing some of the best sites because you are ill-equipped for the terrain.

The wife, Son and I all dive with a normal dive booty with a rubber sole.. Don't let people scare you.. I think they try and step on every single bad spot on Bonaire.. There is a older thread that talks about the same thing from a year or so ago.. I posted photos of our booties and are still using them.. In fact, In about 2 hours they will be on my feet as I walk across the coral / iron shore at oil slick... The light wieght booties posted a few posts up would be fine..

Jim...

"Bonaire booties"--yes. (See my post above.) I don't really wear them anywhere else, but I certainly could. Your open-heel fins should work fine with almost any 3mm neoprene bootie, even with the types of sturdy soles we're talking about. Just look for one with a sturdy sole, often called a "hard" sole. The ones I wore for years to dive off boats were too flimsy for my first trip to Bonaire. Suck up the $50-70 as part of the trip cost.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom