Shore diving question...booties?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jorgie6

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just a quick question for the many Bonaire veterans on this site. We'll be returning for some shore diving and will be taking a family member along who will be snorkeling. They are not that experienced. Because of some of the entries being a little on the rocky side we requested that they get fins that would work with regular rubber soled booties. She has purchased "snorkel fins" with "socks"...Argh! I don't feel this is enough support . Am I wrong? Any thoughts. I've only been to Bonaire once before, but would like to hear the opinion of some of you veterans.

I wouldn't do it personally. Vibram 5 fingers is the least I'd do, and prefer hard sole boots

You told them - let them deal.
They can buy booties on island if need be.

... a little on the rocky side...

Not rocks.
Coral, in most places. Big bits of dead coral about the size of dog turds. Crunchy and sharp. Really painful to walk on.
I took full foot fins. Big mistake. Ended up wearing a pair of crocs and clipping them to my BP in the water. My so-called buddies thought that was hilarious, but it worked.
Loved the diving. Worth the pain and cuts.
Booties from now on.

Last edited:
Ended up wearing a pair of crocs and clipping them to my BP in the water.

Hey Mr 2003... Why don't you just leave them on shore?
Nobody's gonna steal them!

Really, really bad idea. There are a few places that she could get in the water without pain. Tori's Reef, Yellow Submarine, Batchelor's Beach, and Windsock are the only one's I can think of.

She should take the fins & socks back and get boots with stiff soles and fins that fit the boots. Otherwise she's going to spend a lot of time sitting in the truck.

Really, really bad idea. There are a few places that she could get in the water without pain. Tori's Reef, Yellow Submarine, Batchelor's Beach, and Windsock are the only one's I can think of.

She should take the fins & socks back and get boots with stiff soles and fins that fit the boots. Otherwise she's going to spend a lot of time sitting in the truck.

Or in the ER.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom