Shore diving question...booties?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I get what you're saying, but if there's no pain or discomfort what is there to improve upon?

You do not get what I am saying, by posing that question.

I will provide another clue: I used to think that my Beats headphones were perfectly adequate, until I put on some Sennheisers.

I've done 51 shore dives on Bonaire on bare feet...

Were you improvising?

Last edited:
My old car seemed perfectly adequate. Then I got a new one and realized what a heap it actually was.

I will provide another clue: I used to think that my Beats headphones were perfectly adequate, until I put on some Sennheisers.

One of those things is not like the other: I used to think my 1975 Pinto was perfectly adequate until I got me a 2010 Murcielago.

You know now that I think about it.. I think wearing steel toe high top work boots is what would work best...With triple EXTRA LARGE JET fins to fight the strong current that you will be diving in... Heheee

Jim...

You guys are scaring me. I am headed to Bonaire in June. I have open healed fins with dive booties (not so sturdy rubber soles). I put on a pair of very low profile crossfit shoes to simulate some of the thick soled shoes discussed above. The shoes do not fit in my fins very well (there is plenty of room with my dive booties). Do other folks dive with "regular booties" or buy a pair of "bonaire shoes and fins"?
Its possible that new thick-soled boots might not fit your current fin pocket. This happened to Eric. When we up graded boots he also had to buy new fins. For me, I actually found the fit better with my current fins since the pocket was a bit large with my old boots.

But we don't have separate boots for Bonaire vs boat. We prefer the support of the thick-soled boots for all our diving. These are mine, 300+ dives and counting...

Mares Trilastic 5mm Dive Boots

You know now that I think about it.. I think wearing steel toe high top work boots is what would work best...With triple EXTRA LARGE JET fins to fight the strong current that you will be diving in...

YOUR GONNA DIE!!! Unless you switch to vibram mutant dr. scholl's tactical kevlar toecaps immediately. With side zip and hidden boot knife pocket.

I have used low, soft, but ribbed sole "Caribbean" style boots for over 10 years of diving Bonaire.
I have worn out one pair, but I have never felt the need for truly thick, hard boots.

Barefoot is risky, verging on insane, imo, but really thick boots is overkill, also imo.

As I said earlier, plenty of folks who arrived on Bonaire with closed foot "snorkel fins" have gotten by with a cheap pair of sandals that they simply clip on or stow away in a pocket after the entry.

But we don't have separate boots for Bonaire vs boat. We prefer the support of the thick-soled boots for all our diving. These are mine, 300+ dives and counting...
Mares Trilastic 5mm Dive Boots

My wife wears the 5 mm Trlastic's as well and she really likes them. I wear these Akona 3.5mm Low Cut Molded Sole Boots (AKBT631)
We both upgraded from "boat booties" several years ago on our first trip to Bonaire. We never went back. I like the extra stiffness in the soles while finning. It seems to be easier on my ankles and arches. All IMHO.

Those look excellent.
They are a well made boot. Eric has the Seasoft Steath boot and at almost half the price I think mine are made just as well except for the tab that goes across the zipper. My Mares does not have that tab.

We both upgraded from "boat booties" several years ago on our first trip to Bonaire. We never went back. I like the extra stiffness in the soles while finning. It seems to be easier on my ankles and arches. All IMHO.

This thread has made me think about why I still have one pair of "hard-soled booties" that I use only for Bonaire (or potentially some other rocky shore-diving location), while for the rest of my boat diving I use common floppy-soled booties in which I put stiff (and expensive) insoles to make it easier on my foot muscles, help reduce foot cramps, etc. My Bonaire booties really ought to become my normal booties.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom