Shore diving question...booties?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This thread has made me think about why I still have one pair of "hard-soled booties" that I use only for Bonaire (or potentially some other rocky shore-diving location), while for the rest of my boat diving I use common floppy-soled booties in which I put stiff (and expensive) insoles to make it easier on my foot muscles, help reduce foot cramps, etc. My Bonaire booties really ought to become my normal booties.
Mine have.

So this has gone on for pages but is there any idea if the person in question is willing to return what she got and get something else? If not there's little point.

Yep.

oh idk...seems like the thread morphed into a rather productive footwear discussion. Not sure all those words belong in the same sentence, but that may be a guy thing. o_O:bounce::bounce::bounce:

I've been struggling with disliking my current boots and heading to Bonaire in June. I picked up a pair of the (often mentioned in other threads...) Chuck Taylors. I loved the way they fit in my fins. I feel like the contact with the fin pocket was great. I always hate the contact from dive boots since they seem to have that wide rubber edge running on the sides.

I am thinking of using Chucks as my one and only boot. Frankly, I am trying to figure out why more people are not using them. I feel like I might be missing something....

Are Chuck's OK for Bonaire?

My drysuit fins are XL Slipstreams which I use Chucks with. I travel with my Large SP Jets. I can't get Chucks to fit in the Jets. Wish I could.

I'm curious - what fins do you have and what size Chucks? Are you wearing any kind of socks?

Chucks should be fine for Bonaire.

You know now that I think about it.. I think wearing steel toe high top work boots is what would work best...With triple EXTRA LARGE JET fins to fight the strong current that you will be diving in... Heheee

Jim...
Laugh, but I dive with close to that and do use a XXL fins to fit my boots. I do a shore dive here in the Keys for training that is a lot like Bonaire.

I appreciate all the input to my original question. I have convinced my family member to get some decent , supportive boots.

Just curious, does anyone dive with felt soled boots? I picked some up in Guam and found they were great for shore diving to navigate the slippery rocks.

Felt can easily carry unwanted crap. Don't know about saltwater but the've been banned in NY (I think - or at least strongly dis-advised) because they spread rock snot. It's a shame because felt does grip.

Well I shot the video of me and wife and son walking around oil slick with our booties with the soft rubber sole.. As I sat on the tail gate... I only counted one pair of hard sole booties to about 15 pairs of normal rubber sole booties.. I post the video by tonight...

Jim

My drysuit fins are XL Slipstreams which I use Chucks with. I travel with my Large SP Jets. I can't get Chucks to fit in the Jets. Wish I could.

I'm curious - what fins do you have and what size Chucks? Are you wearing any kind of socks?

Chucks should be fine for Bonaire.

I use Mares Avanti Quattro Plus in size Large with Size 10 Chucks. IMO the fit was excellent with out being sloppy. I find many dive boots fit sloopy into the pocket.

I still havent finalized sock choice but since you can loosen or tighten the Chucks using a 2-3 mm sock or a lycra will be no problem. Frankly I'd rather just wear a pair of wool hiking socks but I'm so afraid to try and then get a blister.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom