Shore diving question...booties?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm going to show her this thread..maybe that will work! Thanks for the comments and advice.

Really, really bad idea. There are a few places that she could get in the water without pain. Tori's Reef, Yellow Submarine, Batchelor's Beach, and Windsock are the only one's I can think of.

If staying at Sand Dollar, there's patch of sand at the pier, and stairs on the other side of the property. I think Buddy has similar entry points.

She should take the fins & socks back and get boots with stiff soles and fins that fit the boots.

Or buy booties and fins there. I don't know how much of an island surcharge she'd be looking at though.

For me it's not so much the hurts on your feet, though it does hurt, but the sharp stuff makes you lose you balance and you FALL. That will really ruin your day.

Get some boots and fins to fit. The $ is small when compared to a fall.

Carib Inn for gear. Prices about like US lds in our experience.

Snorkel fins and socks wont cut it.... your suggestion was spot on. Worse case, she can probably rent fins and booties on the island....

Tell them that we won't appreciate them bleeding on the Bonaire beaches. I actually wear boots designed for our Navy Seals: New Balance OTB (Over the Beach):

81QPbQMagML._UX585_.jpg

When my wife's dive gear arrived on Bonaire a couple of days after we did, the dive op was kind enough to let her borrow fins free of charge, but they only had closed-heel fins available. She still bears the scars--no joke, my wife has scars from that experience. We will never dive Bonaire without sturdy hard-soled boots again.

Hard sole boots are just about the only way to shore dive Bonaire, but when friends or family have arrived on Bonaire in the past with closed foot fins we have had them wear a pair of hard sole sandals for the entry and exit, and just clip them on the harness or run their BC cummerbund strap through them while diving, so they have them for the exit.

Wait until they notice all the urchins in the shoreline at the southern sites.

If you think the urchins are bad on the southern sites, shore dive the east side! :shocked:
We did that dive with cardzard and a crew from SB a few years back, and the amount of fire coral and sea urchin we encountered on our exit was impressive (painfully so)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom