Shore Diving August 9th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I'm still a go for Saturday.

Way to go Capt. XRay!!! We don't have to salute or anything do we? Derek has offered to grovel on his knees if necessary.:wink:

Now for departure times.
In other words Capt..........When will you be Prepared to be Boarded. :D

So I am not sure if I will be able to handle the jetties because I am a newbie. I might have to back out just because I don't want to get into something too over my head. I have only done 5 dives ( 3 at Vortex springs and 2 beach dives). I do recall the state park officer informing us the day we were diving that they offer rides out to the jetties. You may want to contact them if you do plan to dive there. That will help the boat situation if you are still in one....

Hetland, Did you say the Car, Fridge and other items (Which I've yet to find) Lie directly between the 2 Jetties? How deep and about where in relationship to the two rocks. Maybe you could mark up a Maps.Live image?

All I could find were rocks, and what looked like a concrete pipe with a 2-3ft diamater standing on end. I never got bored with "just the rocks" though, plenty of critters there to check out.

So I am not sure if I will be able to handle the jetties because I am a newbie. I might have to back out just because I don't want to get into something too over my head. I have only done 5 dives ( 3 at Vortex springs and 2 beach dives).

You don't have to do anything that you are not comfortable with. People call dives before the boat launches, as it is going out, and sometimes at the site. I have been on alot of charters where one or more will call it while everyone else dives. You and your Dad are welcome to join us and ride out and check out the situation and if you aren't comfortable, no one will mind if you stay in the boat. You will still have spent a day with a great bunch of folks and made some new friends and dive buddies.

I will try to give a final answer by tomorrow night but I have a busy day. So, it might be until Friday afternoon after my program in service before I can get on here again

Way to go Capt. XRay!!! We don't have to salute or anything do we? Derek has offered to grovel on his knees if necessary.:wink:

Groveling is always appreciated, but saluting is out of the question.:no

You don't have to do anything that you are not comfortable with. People call dives before the boat launches, as it is going out, and sometimes at the site. I have been on alot of charters where one or more will call it while everyone else dives. You and your Dad are welcome to join us and ride out and check out the situation and if you aren't comfortable, no one will mind if you stay in the boat. You will still have spent a day with a great bunch of folks and made some new friends and dive buddies.

Blueeyes, Keep in mind where we are going. If you decide to call the dive, there is a ton of adventure exploring the Fort. Everytime I have ben out to the Fort we have explored it, it always has something new waiting to be discovered. But trust me when I say that even if the current is ripping which I'm sure it won't be you can still dive the West side (Protected side) of the West Jetties.

As a side note: My Sons First open water dive after getting certified was at Ft. Pickens. We ended up getting a late start and went to the Fort while we waited for the rain to stop.Long Story short we decided to try to dive during the middle of a tide, we snorkled first and couldn't really tell that the current was strong. So we geared up a dove it with no problem. So try to Snorkel it first, if it seems ok to you then dive it.

All I could find were rocks, and what looked like a concrete pipe with a 2-3ft diamater standing on end. I never got bored with "just the rocks" though, plenty of critters there to check out.

Thanks Hetland. That's all I've ever found either. Someone was telling me they'd found some other "Stuff" recently.

Now for departure times.
In other words Capt..........When will you be Prepared to be Boarded. :D

Let's shoot for 10:00 AM, If you're planning to ride with me PM me with your phone # in case something happens that slows my departure and or arrival. But let's plan on meeting at the Gulf Breeze Boat Ramp (Not the one at the end of the 3 Mile Bridge, the one back in behind the School) at 10:00. I will bring one large cooler, with ice, let's not bring 10 coolers as they are a space killer. Otherwise 2 tanks and a minimum amount of gear. What we may do is launch the boat and pull out of a slip so others can launch. THis ramp is usually busy on the weekends. So be prepared to get moving.

Back
Top Bottom