How to explore shores

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Regarding finding candidate locations to explore: Ask your local water people.

Triathletes and Open Water Swimmers tend to have good knowledge about calm waters and may know some sites. With races ranging from a few hundred meters to 40 kilometers+, some are logging good mileage and will have seen a lot. They'll also have good tips about swimming safely in those waters (do adjust their advice to account for the difference in their swimming strength vs. your own). Calm waters are better for shore diving than the rougher spots preferred by surfers, but if some of the local breaks are seasonal or highly variable you might also ask surfers. Also try asking paddle borders, fisherman, and kayakers. Basically anyone who loves being out on the water is going to have good information about spots worth exploring and the conditions.

One easy way to find the swimmers/triathletes is to show up at a local race. Another, find your local Tri-shop or bike shop and ask around. Surfers and fisherman have lots of websites about conditions. Might also have luck asking at shops selling boards, kayaks, and fishing gear.

I did around 700+ shore dives when I lived in Saudi back in the late 80s - 90s, arm currently do local shore diving off Dubai.

Key factors to note and that have been already mentioned.

1. Tides, there is good info online. I use an app called Tideschart. Diving slack tide around the high tide timing is usually best for little or no current as well as visibility.

2. Moon phases, learn how that affects the tides and you can figure out when it is safer to dive.

Both of the above affect the current.

3. Access to the site. How easy to get in and out carrying a tank on your back from where you set up your kit or park your car.

4. Underwater navigation. Have a marker underwater that can be easily found for using the same entry / exit point when doing recce dives. I would add that in most occasions when diving a site that has not been previously unexplored, a third person on shore might be useful to provide backup if necessary.

5. Check the weather forecast!

That's all I can think of for the moment as it's late and I'm planning a shore dive tomorrow :D

I use an app called Tideschart

Are you talking about this one?

Screenshot_20240622_231752_Google Play Store.jpg

I don’t know Railway Beach so I’m not sure what to tell you.

A bit further north is Tres Palmas, which is a marine reserve.

Not too long ago I went to Black Eagle Beach. It’s right next to Tres Palmas, in the southern side of it. Your entry point would be https://maps.app.goo.gl/H53L3HzJ6PE715RBA?g_st=ic

Get in and explore northwest.

You could also go to Steps Beach and easily get into Tres Palmas.

And if you haven’t, you should go to Crash Boat in Aguadilla. Real easy shore dive that’s real nice too.
Thanks, I did Tres Palmas a couple times this week. It’s very shallow, but a very healthy reef, which I enjoyed a lot. I just got done doing Crashboat today. My point about Railway beach, was just an example and I have this feeling that there are many potentially great reefs for shore dives that are just not on anyone’s radar down here. I think the dive shops are just content with the status quo. But if I lived down here like you I’d be out looking for them. This is just my opinion from looking at satellite images, and based on how healthy Tres Palmas is.

Thanks, I did Tres Palmas a couple times this week. It’s very shallow, but a very healthy reef, which I enjoyed a lot. I just got done doing Crashboat today. My point about Railway beach, was just an example and I have this feeling that there are many potentially great reefs for shore dives that are just not on anyone’s radar down here. I think the dive shops are just content with the status quo. But if I lived down here like you I’d be out looking for them. This is just my opinion from looking at satellite images, and based on how healthy Tres Palmas is.
Hi! We are headed to Puerto Rico soon and hope to do multiple shore dives. From what I'm researching, we should try Crashboat, Tres Palmas and a few other places. When diving Tres Palmas did you just go straight out from the beach? Any other recommendations for shore dives? Thanks so much!

Hi! We are headed to Puerto Rico soon and hope to do multiple shore dives. From what I'm researching, we should try Crashboat, Tres Palmas and a few other places. When diving Tres Palmas did you just go straight out from the beach? Any other recommendations for shore dives? Thanks so much!
Those were the only shore dives we did when we were there. For Tres Palmas, we parked at the Black Eagle Marina and entered straight off that beach. As you’re facing the water there is a jetty/point toward the right, head in that direction and you’ll start seeing the reef and you can follow it from there. Just note that as you cross to the other side of that point, the current can try to push you toward shore and it does get shallow quick. Not dangerous to you, but could be to the reef. So my advice is give that jetty a wide birth and you’ll be fine. It’s a very cool and healthy reef. You can rent tanks either from Taino Divers which is right there at the marina, but if you go to Rincon Diving which is only 7 min up the road, they allow you to keep the tanks until 4:30 on the following day, which is very nice so you could pick them up the day before if you wanted. I would have liked to have tried to enter from Steps Beach (can find on Google maps) as well for a different part of that reef, but I didn’t get the chance. Might give that a try.

Crashboat was kind of just ok. Worth doing I suppose to say you did it kind of thing. It’s a fun beach though, go very early to that one or you’ll be walking a mile to park. Have a good time!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom