Shearwater coming out with new DC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's a great point.

I doubt Shearwater is swimming in piles of profits, but I suspect they are just profitable enough to be satisfied. Perhaps it is that which enables them to provide such reportedly amazing customer service and public relations (see all their candid, helpful posts here on SB). Try getting ahold of a a real person at one of those companies that produces $300 computers.

As much as it looks to us like these things are flying off the shelf, all dive computers are niche products. Shearwater's market share is likely pretty small. I suspect their R&D and other costs are high compared with costs of production. In other words, unless they could somehow substantially increase market share, reducing production costs might not save them enough to be able to reduce the retail price by as much as one thinks. They might not be able to offer the same quality product for $300 no matter what kind of re-engineering or thrifty parts sourcing they do.

As far as re-engineering, if they were to shave a few dollars off the production cost by, say, using a less expensive plastic or reduce the case thickness by still a few more millimeters, that would be fine until some diver somewhere cracks the case, and then in an instant Shearwater loses the reputation for ruggedness that they have worked so hard to achieve. If (just to pick some silly numbers) one in a million of their present products fails, but a hypothetical future low-cost product has a failure rate of one in 100,000, was it worth it? Low-end dive computer manufacturers seem to think it IS worth it. I think most of us who have bought Shearwater computers would rather pay a little more for an over-engineered product that can seemingly withstand a nuclear hit than a little less for something that still has a lower failure rate than comparably priced products. No, it doesn't make logical sense for consumers to desire an over-engineered product, but I guess it's a psychological thing. I have owned a lot of consumer electronics gadgets, and I'm tired of things that break and companies that don't communicate, don't stand behind their products, and are hard to get ahold of.

I'm sure they've done the metrics concerning the financial viability of different price point computers and have chosen their path. More market share doesn't always equate to greater profits. Time and time again much larger, more successful companies have pursued the greater sales numbers, only to be bankrupted a short time after. A business plan makes sence if it achieves the company's desired result, not the expectations of an outside party with limited knowledge. Also- consider the issue of branding. Shearwater's image is sterling. They know their consumer and exceed their expectations. Shearwater doesn't try to be all things , to all divers. In a limited market place such as scuba equipment, the downside of of reaching a wider audience could be greater than the potential benefits.

OK, fair. Your rec DC does trimix. . . .

MY Petrel, as it is configured for ME--that is, in Rec Mode, does not "do trimix." It only "does trimix" in the sense that there is some software code in there for that function but which does not make its presence known to me in Rec Mode. There is probably other software code in there that is equally nonexistent from this user's perspective. "Tech" features that I can't detect do not make it a tech computer to me. Extra software doesn't add significantly to the cost of the product. On the contrary, it may be more efficient for a manufacturer to include the same software across a line of different products and then disable certain features in certain products. In Rec Mode, the Petrel gives the user the impression that it's doing pretty much the same things as every other Rec-oriented dive computer.

So then why did you buy a technical computer and only run it dumbed down?

You couldn't find a much less expensive DC that would allow you to dive exactly the same way?

The Petrel 1 was my first DC, and I bought it shortly after OW certification when I had literally 8 dives in my log book, based on recommendations here on Scubaboard. It was absolutely awesome for a new open water diver in Rec mode. It was, and still is, by far the best Rec computer, IMO. It is so easy to use as a newbie OW diver that I literally did not need to read the manual. There was no danger, at all, of me going into and messing with Tec mode, as I literally had zero idea what all that Tec stuff meant, or how to set it, or how to even read the information displayed. Since then I've progressed through to GUE Tec 1, using it extensively in both gauge mode and Tec mode. It is still the best.

I also bought a Hollis DG03 as a newbie, as a back up. Despite 3 sessions of 20-30 minutes each with the manual, I still can't run the thing, and just leave it in gauge mode.

My point is that Shearwater already has the best Rec computer on the market, and there is not a business case to be made to sell a cheaper dumbed-down version. Why sell an inferior product at a lower price point when you are already winning the game across all segments of the market place?

I helped you set the parameters for your DG03 on our trip on the Spree, it's not really that difficult. "Younger" folks are just not as flexible as us older folks. We have lived during many more "upgrades" than you have... I had a transistor radio when I was a kid, that was pretty advanced.

---------- Post added January 6th, 2016 at 05:13 PM ----------

All I want is an AI Perdix, come on now

---------- Post added January 6th, 2016 at 05:21 PM ----------

And, you're right, 45/95 is pretty close to our DSAT algorithm

...//... "Younger" folks are just not as flexible as us older folks.
:rofl3:

We have lived during many more "upgrades" than you have... I had a transistor radio when I was a kid, that was pretty advanced. ...
:D

I remember the surprise of no warm-up period and no hissing. You just turn it on and it was on. Instant gratification.

I love technology and all of today's advancements, but I still miss Nixie tubes...

You like how they simplified the tech world?
Let's simplify the Rec world.
Before you dive you chose nitrox or air.
Big screen:
During the dive it displays KEEP DIVING if you're in NDL and above MOD for nitrox.
GO UP if you go below MOD for nitrox.
SURFACE: If you have less than 5 minutes to NDL.
SLOW DOWN If surfacing too fast.
STOP for your safety stop.

That's it.
Or would you prefer a computer which tells you your depth, time, time remaining to NDL, TTS if you go into deco, TTS if you spend 5 more minutes at that depth and has a speed indicator? Wait...that sounds like petrel Rec mode...
My 18 yrs old Uwatec Aladin does that except the 5 min safety stop.
But my $160.00 Oceanic Veo 180 does everything as suggested.
I don't need multigas or trimix mode for recreational dive. And to steal your words, there are large contingent of divers do not use tec computer for tec dive.

---------- Post added January 7th, 2016 at 08:49 AM ----------

You couldn't find a much less expensive DC that would allow you to dive exactly the same way?
Because he could afford one!!!
A Oceanic Veo 180($160.00) or even a Mares Puck($140.00) could do the same job but they are not Shearwater!!!

So what would you pay for a computer which was physically the same as a perdix but only did the stuff your Aladdin or Veo do? Eg a locked to nitrox mode perdix?

If Shearwater can produce a pure recreational computer at HALF the cost and given their reputation and track record. It will wipe the floor with probably every single rec computer in the market.
What I said.
Would I buy it at $350.00? Of course NOT because there are cheaper alternatives. But other might because it is Shearwater!!!!
Brand name is very important to some people and they are prepared to pay.

For me, the screen, the battery, the electronic compass, bluetooth (minor but still a factor), the ruggedness.

Back
Top Bottom