Shearwater coming out with new DC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reading recent posts, I asked myself whether it'd be in Mercede-Benz's interest to make a cheap car. ...//...
First, today's "cheap car" is one of the most reliable mechanical objects on the face of this earth. Any manufacturer. Competition did that.

Poor analogy.

So, what end would be served? You get to drive a "name" for peanuts? Or you get a performance car for peanuts? The first is both a sham and unsustainable and the second is nearly impossible from an economic standpoint.

As far as I can tell, the magic of the Shearwater DC is in the programming done by the person who coded the state machine that drives their DC's. I'm pretty sure of this. I was all wonked out on state machine programming years past. It has that flavor.

So Shearwater comes out with a burned-in-ROM, cookie cutter, easy to comprehend (but intelligent) critical subset implementation for the recreational only market. New stuff. Simple. Easy to support.

Nothing to do with tech diving other than calming down the NDL hysteria a bit by allowing one a short transgression if one so chooses.

This is a very useful thread. I actually do not care if Shearwater introduces a less expensive rec computer. I like the ability to choose my GFs. All I want is AI. I'll pay for the extras I do not need.

Nothing to do with tech diving other than calming down the NDL hysteria a bit by allowing one a short transgression if one so chooses.

I wonder how true the "hysteria" is for the current crop of recreational DCs. Zoop apparently locks you out. My Leonardo's manual says it'll lock you out for blowing a mandatory deco stop, which is not the same thing. Geo 2's manual says it'll go into gauge mode for 48 hours if your dive profile requires a deco stop below 70 feet -- which I don't fully understand but again it's not just an NDL violation. As far as I know veo, geo, and atoms should be same or very similar. So I wonder if the fix for "NDL hysteria" is really just don't buy a Zoop.

I wonder how true the "hysteria" is for the current crop of recreational DCs. Zoop apparently locks you out. My Leonardo's manual says it'll lock you out for blowing a mandatory deco stop, which is not the same thing. ....

So I wonder if the fix for "NDL hysteria" is really just don't buy a Zoop.

How are those different?

I wonder how true the "hysteria" is for the current crop of recreational DCs. Zoop apparently locks you out. My Leonardo's manual says it'll lock you out for blowing a mandatory deco stop, which is not the same thing. Geo 2's manual says it'll go into gauge mode for 48 hours if your dive profile requires a deco stop below 70 feet -- which I don't fully understand but again it's not just an NDL violation. As far as I know veo, geo, and atoms should be same or very similar. So I wonder if the fix for "NDL hysteria" is really just don't buy a Zoop.
The Veo and I think Geo as well but will have to go back and check, will enter gauge mode for an Immediate Violation during the dive "if a ceiling much greater than 60 feet it is required" But it will also enter Immediate Violation Mode 5 minutes after surfacing from 3 other Delayed Violation modes.

The Veo and I think Geo as well but will have to go back and check, will enter gauge mode for an Immediate Violation mode during the dive "if a ceiling much greater than 60 feet it is required" But it will also enter Immediate Violation Mode 5 minutes after surfacing from 3 other Delayed Violation modes.

It ma be revealing to look at what it takes to get a 60ft ceiling.

I wonder how true the "hysteria" is for the current crop of recreational DCs.
I overstated the issue just to draw attention to it. Nice summary, by the way.

I don't find ANY of those responses to a dive profile as remotely acceptable. I bought a VR-3 while I was recreational because it just keeps on guessing. I paid for it and it has been forever trying to return the favor by being my advocate no matter what.

NDL has become a legal issue in the United States. Lawyers.

You screw up, I'm out. You are on your own, bud...

Yeah, that's kinda what I meant by "don't fully understand". :wink: The "delayed violation" as far as I can tell boils down to blowing mandatory deco stops. Repeatedly.

Puck Pro manual says it'll switch to gauge mode after a missed mandatory deco stop or fast ascent for more than 2/3rds of ascent depth, doesn't say for how long. That, again, is fair enough I think: if you had a legitimate need to blow past a mandatory deco stop like a polaris missile, the only place you might want to be diving into is the chamber. So it seems at least 3 out of the big 4 will only lock you out if you really screw up.

:D so true. But it really isn't too hard to put a Geo into violation and "locked out" Shortly after he got it, my inattentive dive partner had his set fairly conservatively but was using it as a backup to his primary in DSAT. Routine recreational dive and he neglected to check his backup. Yep, back on board he was in violation.

Last edited:
How are those different?

There's other 3 (plus Real Soon Now(tm) Deep6) NDL computers you can buy. Atomics will lock you out during the dive if you get that 60ft ceiling, the others' manuals read like they will get you up and lock out after the dive in the situations where you probably should spend a day or two not diving.

That doesn't stop you from removing the battery and doing a cold reset, mind you.

---------- Post added January 7th, 2016 at 08:13 PM ----------

my inattentive dive partner had his set fairly conservatively but was using it as a backup to his primary in DSAT. Routine recreational dive and he neglected to check his backup. Yep, back on board he was in violation.

This is why many IT professionals don't think people should be allowed to operate computers.

On two occasions I have been asked, — "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" In one case a member of the Upper, and in the other a member of the Lower, House put this question. I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.

Charles Babbage, 1864

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom