Shark diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another Fiji’s Tiger Shark near miss.

I kinda feel bad for the Tiger, biting into metal... it's like those sushi restaurants that have fancy metal chopsticks instead of wooden ones; they suck to accidentally bite into.

Not me - I’ll be in Fiji in August (hopefully) and steered clear of hitting this area as I’m not a fan of baited dives, but have fun… and keep your head in a swivel.

Liz, one of the feeders for Emerald, mentioned that tigers are like teething puppies, and when they show up, you pretty much ignore the other sharks and keep your head on a swivel. You don't take your eyes off them.

I've never dove in a feeding situation with a tiger shark, but the largest I've ever seen was a good 16' at 117' in Cocos, and I can tell you that before she showed up, everything got spooky still. It was very weird, and I was wondering WTH, and then she swam by me not more than 20' away. She was impressive to say the least.
I just came back from Tiger Beach. Will write up this incredible trip report soon. During our last dive 4 Tiger Sharks showed up, including Emma, below:
94A4CFAE-AD53-4640-8ED1-D3769D4B3877.jpeg

When visibility is limited, watch out! Glad we had Finch & Ryan to wrangle and control the teething 9’ puppy, Empada.

I just came back from Tiger Beach. Will write up this incredible trip report soon. During our last dive 4 Tiger Sharks showed up, including Emma, below:
View attachment 689402

When visibility is limited, watch out! Glad we had Finch & Ryan to wrangle and control the teething 9’ puppy, Empada.

Holy crap. Is that guy wearing mesh gloves?

Holy crap. Is that guy wearing mesh gloves?
No. Finch has quick response. This is not for the faint hearted and you need to keep your eyes on the Tiger Sharks 100%, while they’re around, forget about the pesky Lemon Sharks. I pushed down Empada once when she tried to nibble on my fin.

@Dan your videos are really cool :)

Reactions: Dan
@Dan your videos are really cool :)
Thanks for the compliment. I’m glad to hear that you like them.

More cool videos in the works. The clear, shallow (30-35 ft depth) blue water of Bahamas makes it an ideal setting for filming. Tiger Sharks make the filming even more interesting.

Here’s 4 Tiger Sharks queuing for their snacks. From left to right, Maui, Empada, Daisy & Emma, I think.
C8040F1A-4DB6-4E07-8C1E-FF3938A1F9C0.jpeg

Here’s Ryan wrangling two Tiger Sharks at once.
721EE5CE-504C-4FA2-9F2E-67EFFE8D8616.jpeg

This clear deep blue colour in the background is surreal :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom