Shark diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RRbbb

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Not sure if this is in the right forum, but has anyone experienced not being able to do a shark dive because you have bright colored equipment? Or having to change equipment?
I know some places say to avoid gear with contrasting colors like white on black because sharks are attracted to contrasting colors...but will dive shops actually not let you dive if for example you had a black and white wetsuit? Or white fins? ..etc..

It depends on a lot of different factors, and one of the big factors is the species of shark that is expected. I have heard that most operators at Tiger Beach require divers to have predominantly black wetsuits (not normally a problem), black gloves and a black hood or beanie. The sharks have been fed fish which are typically white or silver and you don't want a tiger shark to mistake your hand for a fish. I have heard that similar policies are in effect at Cat Island for the Oceanic White Tips.

The key point is that you want to appear to the shark as something other than fish and if small parts of your body are different colours than the bulk of your body then that mistake is a possibility.

Few years ago, I bought a new 5mm suit before traveling to Umkomaas and Protea banks. I cheaped out and bought the suit that was in discount which was on discount probably because it was mostly bright orange. When I put my suit first time on, the guide looked at me, smiled, and said yammy! yammy! That moment I promised my self I never cheap out again :-D. I did quite intensive shark diving on that holiday and have all my limbs. We had pretty bad viz, and I was told that people used my suit to orient themselves as I was pretty visible.
Yes, sharks might have something for colors but there are many more things that can go wrong especially at the surface, bright colors will make you safer in general imho.

This is from Emerald Charters, Jupiter, FL Emerald Charters | Jupiter Scuba Diving at it's Best

Sharks feed by contrast. No white, yellow, or pink fins, masks, or gear allowed; black is preferred. The shark feeder has final say on your gear color for your safety!

You will need to wear a full wetsuit including gloves. It is best to cover all your skin. If your fins are slip on, wear a pair of black socks to cover your ankles. If you have blond hair or long hair, wear a beanie or hood.

I wish someone had told me that before my shark dive in the Bahamas. I had decided to get a new wetsuit the day before our liveaboard, and this is the only one that fit decenly. You’ll see it has quite a prominent white patch on one arm, but it also has white designs on the other arm, legs, and elsewhere, even with the distant, grainy picture.

My buddy found it very easy to distinguish me at night.

That's ok, the sharks were more interested in her behind me, rather than my white patch and designs, as you can see. :D
FB_IMG_1625511108054.jpg

1. First time was in GBR and nothing was mentioned except where to stay ie quite a distance from the feeder.
2. Night dive in Cocos Island, stayed above the reef where the white tips were hunting by sense and kept the hands close to the body. If the shark(s) got the sense then the reef ultimately suffered as well! They will frantically search out the unfortunate and turned that spot up-side down, worst than divers with poor buoyancy control!

This is from Emerald Charters, Jupiter, FL Emerald Charters | Jupiter Scuba Diving at it's Best

Sharks feed by contrast. No white, yellow, or pink fins, masks, or gear allowed; black is preferred. The shark feeder has final say on your gear color for your safety!

You will need to wear a full wetsuit including gloves. It is best to cover all your skin. If your fins are slip on, wear a pair of black socks to cover your ankles. If you have blond hair or long hair, wear a beanie or hood.
Man this sounds extreme

Sharks in my experience are not interested in divers even during a feed dive. Underwater we are as big or bigger than most of them are. Who is this strange fish with bubbles coming out of their face? My wife had pink fins and yellow stripes on her wet suit ( yes it was easy to keep track of her) and never had anyone question her nor any extra attention from our sharky friends. We love diving with sharks! Now if you snorkel it’s a whole different story. We call people who snorkel shark bait and make sure we have our cameras ready. Don’t be afraid of sharks but do be respectful . JMHO

1. First time was in GBR and nothing was mentioned except where to stay ie quite a distance from the feeder.
2. Night dive in Cocos Island, stayed above the reef where the white tips were hunting by sense and kept the hands close to the body. If the shark(s) got the sense then the reef ultimately suffered as well! They will frantically search out the unfortunate and turned that spot up-side down, worst than divers with poor buoyancy control!
I had three night dives at Cocos, I understand they are no longer done, For anyone who has recently been there, is that the case?

For our trip to Tiger Beach this coming October, one of my buddies has yellow fins. Captain Scott of Dolphin Dream is not recommending her to use them for this trip. So she bought new black fins.

Back
Top Bottom