Shark diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I dove in Moorea, French Polynesia, we weren't feeding, but the Lemon Sharks followed us around til the end of the dive. I was told other shops fed them, so there's definitely an association with divers.
Many of us experience the benefits of shark feeding areas in SE Florida. In Jupiter, there is feeding on Deep Ledge. Lemon Drop, and the Esso Bonaire. Even though we may use a non-feeding operator, we need to be aware that we are following in the footsteps of the feeders. Don't fool yourself that you are not participating, I don't.

Many of us experience the benefits of shark feeding areas in SE Florida. In Jupiter, there is feeding on Deep Ledge. Lemon Drop, and the Esso Bonaire. Even though we may use a non-feeding operator, we need to be aware that we are following in the footsteps of the feeders. Don't fool yourself that you are not participating, I don't.

I didn't sign up for a shark dive. After dropping in, the Lemon's were on us and followed us. I asked the shop afterward why they followed us and got the explanation.

After having dove from Rangiroa and Fakarava, I had no idea there were feeding shops in French Polynesia, as sharks were everywhere. Moorea was the only place where they actually followed us.

LOL, of course that has been your experience, or you wouldn't take your wife on shark dives.

If you had been bitten would that change your mind?

I know a lot of people who have been bitten by sharks.

Their behavior is not always predictable.

How many divers are bitten by sharks in a year? Has anyone here been subject to a shark bite while diving? Do you know someone who was bitten while diving and what were they doing ( anything that may attract or threaten a shark)?

Yes, sharks can be unpredictable just like people but most seem to follow their natural instincts and people are not on their menu.

If you are afraid stay out of the ocean, maybe a nice freshwater lake or swimming pool is more your comfort level. I do recommend not taking a bath, many more people are injured in the tub than divers by sharks.

If I was afraid of what may happen no matter how slim I would never leave my house.

SMDH

How many divers are bitten by sharks in a year? Has anyone here been subject to a shark bite while diving? Do you know someone who was bitten while diving and what were they doing ( anything that may attract or threaten a shark)?

SMDH

Feeding sharks is considered provoking them. Anyone bitten on a baited or feeding "shark dive" would be considered a victim of a provoked attack. I know a few people who have been bitten on "shark dives".

I don't know that I'd call a baby shark biting a diver an "attack". I've had worse injuries from lava rock. Much like gators, the young ones are least predictable. I worry a lot less walking by the 12 foot gator relaxing in the sun on the golf course than I do the 5 footer.

Should sharks be respected? Absolutely. Should they be feared? No. Now, I'm not a fan of feeding them or changing their natural behavior, as an accidental shark bite can be fatal. But they don't look at divers and see food. I've photographed plenty of sharks and they generally give signs when they are stressed and agitated, and in that instance, move down, move away, respect that you are in their space. Most times they are either scared or curious.

I had close encountered with many Sharks (Bamboo, Bull, Blacktip, Caribbean Reef, Dusky, Galápagos, Great White, Guitar, Horn, Lemon, Nurse, Oceanic Whitetip, Sandbar, Silvertip, Silky, Sand Tiger, Scalloped Hammerhead, Thresher, Tiger, Whitetip Reef, Walking, Wobbegong, Zebra). The most skittish one is the scalloped hammerhead, where I had to hide next to rocks, hold my breath and use no video lights in order it to come closer, otherwise it would disappear in a jiffy, as shown, below.

Back
Top Bottom