Sharing your view on regulators

Votes on regs

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOL - Sounds like old boy has an overstock of Apex regs he needs to get rid of.
A differential pressure regulator is a differential pressure regulator- no matter who makes it- the differences are, for the most part, in port layout, MOC, swivel-no swivel- comes with Miflex or not. Many people will tell you a balanced diaphragm is preferable over a piston but ask them to describe why and most of them will be unable to.
Regulator design hasn't changed very much at all in over half a century
I'll take my 1962 Voit Avalon on any dive within recreational limits and it's original MSRP was 34.95 USD

I did not see a check box for sherwood brut circa 1985. I have only ever used 1 reg so I can not compare....

If you have only ever used a Sherwood Brut it is probably time to try something else for comparison. The Brut is a reliable workhorse but many regs breathe a whole lot better. If you want I will loan you something to try since you are local.

I'm no longer surprised in general discussions on Scubaboard about regulators, when everyone ignores the gorilla in the room (whale in the pond?): Aqualung. Yes, I know that that Apeks regulators are a subsidiary, and are very similar. And there is fond mention of the Conshelf. But "US Divers" or "Aqualung"--not so much. It's not even an antipathy. More like an indifference. Why do you think that is?

Last edited:
They use stupid proprietary connectors on their 2nd stages. I'm not paying an extra $50 to have the privilege to use the length hose I want.

I'm not a fan of the second stage aesthetics or the general "look" of their second stages. Is that a big deal? Is that relative to performance? No - it's just that since regulator performance nowadays is all so good that it's difficult to tell the difference from one to the other - I guess little things matter.
Aqua Lung should make a chrome plated, marine brass second like the ones that made them famous- Aquarius, Calypso, Conshelf -
Even Scubapro has the A700 which I'm quite fond of

I'm not a fan of the second stage aesthetics or the general "look" of their second stages. Is that a big deal? Is that relative to performance? No - it's just that since regulator performance nowadays is all so good that it's difficult to tell the difference from one to the other - I guess little things matter.
Aqua Lung should make a chrome plated, marine brass second like the ones that made them famous- Aquarius, Calypso, Conshelf -
Even Scubapro has the A700 which I'm quite fond of

They still make the conshelf XIV... It's only sold to military and commercial divers...

Jim...

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom