Sharing your view on regulators

Votes on regs

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is he a Brit? Apeks regs are like a religion in the UK.

I am a bit of a maverick - I am a Sherwood loyalist. Not too many like me.

Sherwood has been berry berry good to me, as well.

Bob

Were is the vote box for the conshelf XIV supreme.....

I run an Atomic ST1 first and second stage and love it!!

My backmount singles regs are Scubapro, because that's what I started with and there's no reason to toss them.
All my other regs are HOG. Excellent performance, excellent price, user serviceable...

My favorite 'user service' story took place about a year ago, off Cozumel. It was a simple, uncomplicated recreational dive, but I was diving backmounted doubles AL80's, because I prefer how they trim compared to a single HP120.
We splashed and dropped, and I noticed that my primary reg was breathing just a tiny bit wet. No big deal, it's probably just a speck in the diaphragm, right?
So I turned off that valve, switched to my backup, and proceeded to disassemble my primary so I could clean it out.
About that time, the guide (who wasn't used to anything other than warm water tourist rec divers, I suspect) turned around. The look on his face when he saw the regulator in pieces was priceless.

I am a bit of a maverick - I am a Sherwood loyalist. Not too many like me.
I had the chance to buy a blizzard in very mint condition for 70 bucks last year. Decided I had enough regulators already. I regret my decision to this day. :banghead:

Discussions about regulators are like discussions about motor oil...

I have a set of blizzard s and first stage if someone wants them cheap.. They look out of place in my dive room with all those conshelf XIV...

Jim..

I have a set of blizzard s and first stage if someone wants them cheap.. They look out of place in my dive room with all those conshelf XIV...

Jim..
How cheap is cheap?

I've owned all three. Dove Apeks for many years, only experienced one issue where an exhaust valve folded over and let water in. They are very simple to self service and, for me anyway, easy to get parts for. I find the scubapro second stages, G250 and G260 to breathe a little smoother. The Atomic was also very smooth but had an issue with the first stage out of the box. To me they are all on the same level, with some subtle differences. I'd be ok if any of them was my last reg ever, but a slight knod to Apeks or SP as I can easily get parts for them, have the tools and know (actually still in the learning phase on SP) how to service them. If I had to pick one set up it would be an Apeks first stage, FSR, and a G250 second stage, super simple, reliable, breathe nice, require no specialized tools and can be serviced on a rocking boat in the time it takes to fill and swap a tank and maybe drink a coffee. In a blind test, I "might" be able to tell which is the SP second stage. Getting rid of your Atomics will gain you nothing except a lighter wallet.

Just for Jim, if I wanted super super simple and super reliables I'd go a Conshelf as my last reg of choice. I own a set and although people say there are better breathers out there I took mine on a live aboard and had zero complaints about performance,

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom