'Shadow Divers' Team to Tackle Belize's Blue Hole; 'Because it is there'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So is this going to be a Deep Sea Detectives show or am I correct in understanding that there's a new show called "Shadow Divers" ?? Or is that press release merely referring to the book?

D.

Hmmm, Clowns.

Wish I was one of those clowns that retrieved the bell from the Doria :)

Clowns? Coming from someone with 200 dives, I think I know who the real clown is.:D

Hmmm, I seem to remember that Cousteau did an extensive exploration of the Blue Hole way long ago. They spent a long time exploring the cave system the "caused" the sink in exposed land days. How is this so new? They're going deeper?

My bet is they won't find any bodies. Those are long since crab-bait. Crabs, eels and some other interesting animals. Even if it was 6000 feet, there'd still be crabs, they'd just be a little meaner looking than the ones you're used to in shallower water. Then again, it is a unique location, so who can say? Maybe they will.

Actually, Archman isn't being nitpicky at all. He just happens to know what he's talking about. You really have to question the wisdom of using an air-filled PVC can at that depth. (Especially one that isn't brand new and has had it's share of exposure to sunlight.)

You couldn't hire a company to send scuba divers down there...you'd get an ROV, a hardsuit, a submersible or a surface-supplied rig. The fact is they're scuba divers having an adventure and doing some clowning for T.V. I don't mean that to be insulting in any way, that's just the truth of the matter. A professional dive operator would take a very different, and much safer approach. But he would have literally millions of hours of combined underwater experience backing him, and would have the singular goal of getting the job done in a safe and hopefully effecient manner.

That said, ever since I first heard of the blue hole, I've been wanting to see some video of the bottom.

Edit: >>Oops...12-26-2005? Apparently I don't read too well... :) ...anyone know if it's aired yet?

Allison Finch:
Hmmm, I seem to remember that Cousteau did an extensive exploration of the Blue Hole way long ago. They spent a long time exploring the cave system the "caused" the sink in exposed land days. How is this so new? They're going deeper?

Was there any footage aired on T.V.? Am going to have to google that. Sounds interesting.

Henry Morgan:
Edit: >>Oops...12-26-2005? Apparently I don't read too well... :) ...anyone know if it's aired yet?

I'm glad you resurrected it. I missed it the first time and think it's pretty interesting. I'd also like to know whether it has aired yet.

Extremely seasoned divers or not, I bet the sound of the PVC imploding at 300' scared the bejeezus out of them. Negative buoyancy was probably not the only thing causing the cameraman to overbreathe his rebreather.

Back
Top Bottom