'Shadow Divers' Team to Tackle Belize's Blue Hole; 'Because it is there'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would suspect that this episode won't air for at least another 3-5 months as the story was dated Dec. 16th and they still hadn't made it to the bottom.

Xanthro:
No offense to these gentlemen, but shouldn't they test gear depth before diving? 500 is deep, and it's not the time to determine whether your video casing can handle the pressure.

That's my thinking as well. the calculations for a shell under external pressure are not very hard. It is not rocket science, all you need to do is open a copy of ASME B&PV chapter VIII.

One wonders if they bothered to check if some of their other more safety critical gear (such as the rebreather computer/electronics housings and cable glands) would be good for 500 ft. There are tricks you can do to "harden" these items for high external pressures, but you need to know that you have to do them.

mike_s:
Diving to these depths requires much more sophisticated equipment than the regular recreational diver will use. The space-age equipment includes a device that takes the exhaled air from the divers, cleans and analyses it using onboard computers and allows the divers to reuse the air and continue diving. The air mixture is largely helium which reduces the risk of contracting the bends and also reduces the amount of time necessary to decompress.

The team have been working with Peter Jones and the good people of Protech while staying in San Pedro.[/I]

Folks,

If we take the statement about the mix step by step we find it to be largely correct. Since they are using rebreathers, they are almost certainly using heliox, and at those planned depths, it would be "largely helium". The use of heliox, and a proper dual-phase bubble model (RGBM) will, in fact, help to reduce the risk of DCS and the amount of time needed to decompress will be reduced. The fact that both the risk and the time will be substantial going to such depth is, I believe, understood.

BigJetDriver69:
Folks,

If we take the statement about the mix step by step we find it to be largely correct. Since they are using rebreathers, they are almost certainly using heliox, and at those planned depths, it would be "largely helium". The use of heliox, and a proper dual-phase bubble model (RGBM) will, in fact, help to reduce the risk of DCS and the amount of time needed to decompress will be reduced. The fact that both the risk and the time will be substantial going to such depth is, I believe, understood.
http://www.johnchatterton.com/dive_log051215.htm

We used 10/90 heliox for dil with an air flush at about 80 feet and setpoint of 1.3.

Their shows are like Sci-fi's Ghost Hunters, just underwater.

The clowns should have consulted a professional deepwater tech outfit like Woods Hole. Syntactic foam doesn't implode; they could have used that for their "buoyancy tubes". That's what we use for our deep-sea work.

An ROV could do this a lot cheaper and simpler. I'm surprised it hasn't been done, actually. 500 feet isn't that big a deal.

These "clowns" have some REALLY impressive diving behind them. As for ROV's, Nintendo diving is not diving. The point, in this case, is to GO THERE, not send Robby The Robot. :wink:

BigJetDriver69:
These "clowns" have some REALLY impressive diving behind them. As for ROV's, Nintendo diving is not diving. The point, in this case, is to GO THERE, not send Robby The Robot. :wink:

Given that several of their key points relate to discovery rather than adventure, the ROV is the far better choice. This is not penetration diving, and the ROV is much superior for the job, for significantly less cost. It's done all the time. Heck, I've used the things.

I apply the "clown" moniker for those that goof around. Which seems to apply quite well in this instance. These gentlemen are either unaware of or choose not to employ the proper equipment for this sort of expedition. You do not have to be intrinsically incompetent or unprofessional to clown around; it's all about context.

In this case, what these professional divers are doing is "clowning around" for television. Even Jacques Cousteau was reputed to have used a sub in the Hole. I see little mention justifying it as a scuba-only jaunt. If there were, I'd be less critical.

It doesn't mean I wouldn't watch the show. But I'd critique the pee out of it if any more gear imploded on them!

I take it from your response that you have never had a piece of equipment that "should" have done the job fail dramatically. An amazing record indeed.

An ROV could well have been part of their equipment. I don't know. I was invited to be a safety diver on this deal, but could not get the time off from my company. I will check to see, however, if they did.

The whole point, just as it is for people who climb Mt. Everest, is to go there. For Chatterton and Kohler, it makes better viewer interest if they go down there themselves. It is, after all, the show paying for their trip! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom