Seeking the DIR Answer: Must DIR Shops be Committed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you can, go do a dive with onfloat. He is a great example of a typical DIR diver. He has the right mindset and the skills and is interested in learning more where he can.

yes. I know.

He is a great example of advanced skill level and humilty. He is very helpful with non-DIR divers. Hopefully, many divers know someone like that.

netmage:
DIR or not..., there are some wingnuts out there who do some unsafe stuff with coorelation to fatalities. If we can learn from these mistakes; shouldn't we?

Never said anyone shouldn't. I try to learn from all mistakes.

RiverRat:
I don't get your reply....
If I'm holding mid-water, doing an air share, and my partner is flying up to the surface, and it's "hard" to complete the skill, (eg: my long hose is NOT that long....) BY MYSELF, how is that my fault?

I'm not blaming anyone. Frustrating at times, but I hung in there, I didn't have a problem with it.

While your other posts do it too, this posts is a great example of why many DIR divers would not want to dive with you. DIR is team oriented. I have corrected my own bouyancy (and teammates if absolutely necessary) to compensate for a newer DIR diver losing control of bouyancy during an air share and to give them time to get squared away without even thinking about it numerous times. It is a team exercise. Now, that is probably too much task loading for a newer diver to handle. But, until you stop blaming the other divers and recognize the team performed poorly, you just don't have the right mindset. You need to analzye how you could have caused the drill to go more smoothly (plus talk to the other divers constructively about their bouyancy after the dive).

Based on your oversensitive reaction to how you were told it would be harder to hook up with other divers, I can only assume this response will make you go ballistic. If it was stated to you exactly as you have said, the information was definately conveyed poorly. But, accept that people don't always convey information perfectly. There aren't that many DIR divers out there. Just showing up at a local dive site to dive with some DIR divers without making prior arrangements has a spectacularly low chance of happening.

catherine96821:
yes. I know.

he is a great example of advanced skill level and humilty. He is very helpful with non-DIR divers. Hopefully, many divers know someone like that.

So answer my question. GUE instructors have standards with which they have to comply. It really appears that you are attempting to bash DIR itself by attributing poor practices to divers that aren't even DIR.

catherine96821:
The answer was basically that the economics require some of the DIR Instructors to dive non-DIR recreational divers in a way different from their team philosophy. That can be interpreted any way a person chooses- purely pragmatic or as a double standard they have conveniently set for themselves.

I don't know any GUE instructors teaching OW at all.

I know a couple non-GUE "DIR" instructors teaching OW and they have adapted their programs to incorporate the vast majority of DIR concepts.

I don't see either group compromising the way they dive in or outside of class for economic reasons.

RTodd:
So answer my question. GUE instructors have standards with which they have to comply. It really appears that you are attempting to bash DIR itself by attributing poor practices to divers that aren't even DIR.
We have a shop in Edmonton that sells Halcyon and says the word DIR, but they are anything but. But how would the uneducated know better?

Catherine, it sounds like people just don't practice what they preach.. Take them at "face" value... they are not worth getting worked up over..

RiverRat, I just took fundies in CT. I can help you with people / places to dive & practice. I will PM you my cell #.

-Dennis

Ignorance is bliss. :wink:
If you read a few other threads around here, it's also expensive...

RiverRat:
I don't get your reply....
If I'm holding mid-water, doing an air share, and my partner is flying up to the surface, and it's "hard" to complete the skill, (eg: my long hose is NOT that long....) BY MYSELF, how is that my fault?

I'm not blaming anyone. Frustrating at times, but I hung in there, I didn't have a problem with it.

What RTodd said. Its a team exercise. The team didn't do so well. Nobody's at fault anymore than anyone else. DIR divers try hard not to blame one team member for their collective poor performance.

Could you have compensated for a newer diver losing bouyancy control, yes. Go to touch contact. Dump from your own wing. Stabilize the situation. The whole obective of the team is to prevent one problem (e.g. OOA) from snowballing into a disaster. Loosing bouyancy just because someone has no gas and thereby hitting the surface in an airshare would be a deco disaster.

you are attempting to bash DIR itself by attributing poor practices to divers that aren't even DIR.
you are calling riverrat defensive?
people that know me know I am not bashing anybody.
please read my original question and tell me how that is bashing?

I don't see either group compromising the way they dive in or outside of class for economic reasons.

well...good then you are one part of the answer, because there have been a variety of answers, ranging somewhat...that is why people have discussions on forums.

People who would rather not engage that should just post a different thread regarding a given task or procedure. Seems simple to me.

We have a shop in Edmonton that sells Halcyon and says the word DIR, but they are anything but. But how would the uneducated know better?
and how is your question different, in essence, from mine?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom